Organic sounding Super Distortion, does it exists?

50WPLEXI

Reaction score
I'm really digging the sound/output of the Super Distortion. If I had to make an improvement on it, I'd make it just a bit more organic/PAF sounding. Is there a pickup out there that combines both well?

LeftyF2003

Reaction score
My vote would be for the Seymour Duncan Screamin' Demon. Similar to the SD but based on the Pearly Gates.

questionman

Reaction score
The old DP-90s from the 70s/80s. Have a set in my Custom, a little on the quieter side, but sound great.

bassmannlespaulman

Reaction score
Might not be the pickup. ..Change the bridge to a nickel plated steel bridge with brass saddles & to a aluminum tailpiece ..that will make some of the woodiness come out

50WPLEXI

Reaction score
Might not be the pickup. ..Change the bridge to a nickel plated steel bridge with brass saddles & to a aluminum tailpiece ..that will make some of the woodiness come out

Kinda have that already, plus when I use a PAF type pickup it's there. I love the SD, just looking for something with a twist!

jbash

Reaction score
Find an old one from the 70s without wax. Manlius makes a clone.

indeedido

Reaction score
I've always wondered what the Manlius would sound and feel like. I like the current Super Distortion but would like to explore the Manlius.

Ed hunter

Reaction score
A "More organic super d" would be the duncan custom SH-5

J-Dizzle

Reaction score
One trick I heard is to replace the ceramic magnet with an Alnico 8.

Ed hunter

Reaction score
One trick I heard is to replace the ceramic magnet with an Alnico 8.

This is a real good inexpensive way to work with what you have:dude:
the only slight issue is dimarzio's glues the magnets on the super d
with a strange rubbery glue??
I still prefer the duncan sh5 with its ceramic or a A8

AJK1

Reaction score
I'm really digging the sound/output of the Super Distortion. If I had to make an improvement on it, I'd make it just a bit more organic/PAF sounding. Is there a pickup out there that combines both well?
Why don't you email Dimarzio and see what they say
I've emailed them a few times and they've been really helpful

JLT73

Reaction score
talk to James at rewind.

I bought his version of a 70s super distortion set and they are simply amazing. They are very organic sounding

Ed hunter

Reaction score
Why don't you email Dimarzio and see what they say
I've emailed them a few times and they've been really helpful

That is actually a good idea! steve blucher will have a idea or two
here is their number,
Phone:(718) 981-9286

DADGAD

Reaction score
Pretty sure the amp will have a big effect on the final tone. What are you using?

DavidRamey

Reaction score
Talk to James at Rewind. He has great service and can fix you up with anything you need as far as pickups goes.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
talk to James at rewind.

I bought his version of a 70s super distortion set and they are simply amazing. They are very organic sounding

Thanks, man! It's funny because I actually tried to talk 50WPlexi into trying those same pickups before you bought them!

Wire/alloys have a great deal to do with the treble and midrange profiles of the Super Distortion style pickup voicing. I've never found an easy mod to make a new SD sound like an old SD or even to make an old SD have a more open/breathy clarity. Ground-up-build seems to be the solution.

JLT73

Reaction score
Thanks, man! It's funny because I actually tried to talk 50WPlexi into trying those same pickups before you bought them!

Wire/alloys have a great deal to do with the treble and midrange profiles of the Super Distortion style pickup voicing. I've never found an easy mod to make a new SD sound like an old SD or even to make an old SD have a more open/breathy clarity. Ground-up-build seems to be the solution.

Well I am glad that I got them! I love super distortions. They just fit what I expect to hear. That being said your version exceeds any expectation that I have ever had for a SD pup. These are so organic and 3d sounding. It's truly everything I have ever wanted in a pickup.

Latest Threads