Ordering a Studio

VictorZA

Reaction score
Hi All,

I finally gave in to the GAS and tried to order a lefty Wine Red Studio with Chrome Hardware and black scratchplate/pup-frame.

But the local agent in my country gave me this response:
"There’s a problem… it’s either a Les Paul Studio 2013 Winered with Chrome hardware and Cream pick-up frames & scratchplate, or the more expensive Les Paul Studio 2013 Winered with Gold hardware and Black pick-up frames & scratchplate. A combination of these two is not possible. Please let me know which version I should enter once our order system is online again."

Does that seem strange to anyone else? A quick google image search shows many models with Chrome and Black.

So I think that my best option is to go for the chrome hardware and buy the black extras as aftermarket.

Any thoughts on this?

azzapeel

Reaction score
Check what neck profiles are on both, and what pickups. Then go for what your after. Colour comes last. IMO. :)

VictorZA

Reaction score
But that's not really the issue here. Both come with 60s neck and 498 pups. I've had them order 2 with chrome hardware with cream additions, and I'll chose whichever of those 2 feels best when they arrive.

My issue is that I find it odd that you see so many wine reds with black trim online, but suddenly Gibson say they don't make that combination. I suppose it could be because I'm a lefty.

kasu

Reaction score
Well, no biggie really? Black pickup rings and a pickguard isnt very expensive, and easy to switch.

tzd

Reaction score
"There’s a problem… it’s either a Les Paul Studio 2013 Winered with Chrome hardware and Cream pick-up frames & scratchplate, or the more expensive Les Paul Studio 2013 Winered with Gold hardware and Black pick-up frames & scratchplate. A combination of these two is not possible. Please let me know which version I should enter once our order system is online again."

Does that seem strange to anyone else? A quick google image search shows many models with Chrome and Black.

Your agent is correct. In the past (mid-2012 and earlier) Wine Red Studios came only with black plastics and a choice of either Chrome or Gold hardware.

However in 2012, Gibson made a new Studio model, and the Wine Red of this new model only came with Cream plastics and Chrome hardware. In 2013, they kept with this new model, but introduced a Gold hardware option for additional $200. Hence these are the two models currently available as new from Gibson.

Gibson Les Paul Studio 2013 (Wine Red) | Sweetwater.com
Gibson Les Paul Studio 2013 Gold Series (Wine Red) | Sweetwater.com

If you'd like Chrome hardware on Black plastics, you can order the Cream model and buy the Black plastic parts to replace it for less than $50.

TerribleRacket

Reaction score
Hi there, Victor,

I've been sniffing around the wine red tree for a few years now, and as far as I can tell, the white plastics on the wine red studios are a recent change. I'm by no means certain about this, since plastics aren't something I've paid much attention to. However, when I was seriously trying to work out the differences between the various wine red models online, until recently white plastics denoted a standard or better. That doesn't seem to be the case anymore, so I guess this is a production line change.

So, returning to your issue... It sounds like your best bet is to swap out the plastics on your own dime. Not an ideal solution, but not the end of the world either. Hopefully someone will come along with a clever solution for you. Unfortunately, I don't do clever.

VictorZA

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. Glad to hear that the South African agent wasn't being messed around or anything like that. Now I need to figure out where I'm going to find lefty black plastics... Any tips?

cck801

Reaction score
Check what neck profiles are on both, and what pickups. Then go for what your after. Colour comes last. IMO. :)
. . . at least with respect to things such as the plate, which is easily changeable. However, color of the guitar itself is usually one of the more important decisions, at least for a lot of us. Agree though on neck and PUPs.

tzd

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. Glad to hear that the South African agent wasn't being messed around or anything like that. Now I need to figure out where I'm going to find lefty black plastics... Any tips?

Most of the plastics should be the same for left or right, except for the pickguard. I found this site where you can order customized pickguards - they sell left handed ones for an additional 10% - Gibson® Les Paul®

VictorZA

Reaction score
Most of the plastics should be the same for left or right, except for the pickguard. I found this site where you can order customized pickguards - they sell left handed ones for an additional 10% - Gibson® Les Paul®

Great, thanks so much. Will investigate to see if they will ship to South Africa.

Any opinion on which would look better on a wine red between Black, 3-layered (B/W/B) or 5 layered?

musicmaniac

Reaction score
I've seen a few with the white plastic lately that looked nice.

tzd

Reaction score
I'll go with the plain black since it's a Studio and does not have binding to match with the white layers.

nauc

Reaction score
the new ones come with cream. the old ones, black.

id just order the one with cream, and switch them later, if you dont like it

i have black, but have been thinking about switcing to cream

VictorZA

Reaction score
I'll go with the plain black since it's a Studio and does not have binding to match with the white layers.

Good point, hadn't thought of that. Right, then all is decided and now it's the excruciating wait for her to arrive...

Latest Threads