order of stomp boxes?

Comic

Reaction score
hi all...

just looking for a little advice on the best order to layout my stomp boxes on my pedal board.

here's what i currently have (in order):

guitar ->

1. morley volume pedal
2. fender tuner pt-100
3. boss compressor cs-3
4. boss noise gate ns-2
5. boss distortion ds-1
6. delta tube overdrive to-1
7. boss flanger bf-3
8. delta chorus sc-1
9. electro-harmonix nano memory toy (analog delay)

-> amp

the boss display board at GC has the noise gate around the middle (where i have it). intuitively, one would think to put the noise gate at the very end (i.e. catch ALL the noise from the pedals), but for some reason that's now how boss has them displayed. and certainly they know better than i.

if anyone has any thoughts i'd sure be grateful.

CheopisIV

Copper Slinger
MLP Vendor
Reaction score
I'd be running those in pretty close to that order, but with the delay before the flanger / chorus and I keep my volume at the end. I have the Morley Little Alligator (not sure which model you use) and it has zero tone suck and is nice to turn it all up or down. Bear in mind that I don't like chorus/flange/etc so my opinion is not overly sound.

bear-in-mind.jpg

I take my other pedals and set them all to unity gain unless I want one to kick it up a bit. Noise gate? Don't use mine so can't advise.

snaredrum

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
i'd run them in that order, basically. i always have my volume pedal at the start, but that's so i can do swells with delay. i put my rotary speaker simulator (boss rt20) after delay, but that's because it simulates a speaker cabinet - my phaser and flanger are pre-delay.

StandingWave

Reaction score
Since many dirt boxes are very sensitive to input level, it seems to make sense to put the volume pedal after the dirt. OTOH, I have a friend that's a working pro and he puts the volume pedal first. He uses very little dirt, though.

Comic

Reaction score
thanks for everyone's input! i like the idea of putting the volume pedal after the distortion. does anyone have a take on the best place for the noise gate?

garybaldy

Reaction score
thanks for everyone's input! i like the idea of putting the volume pedal after the distortion. does anyone have a take on the best place for the noise gate?
I believe the vol pedal needs to be low impedance in that location - thats where I place mine.You can then adjust the amount of gain with your gtr vol and overall vol with the vol pedal.
I am thinking of using the vol pedal thru the amp effects loop to maintain the input level at the preamp.Dont know whether it should be a high or low impedance pedal tho.

StandingWave

Reaction score
I thinks it's hi-z in the guitar chain, low-z in the loop, but that's just a SWAG. Low-z could load the pickups.

garybaldy

Reaction score
I thinks it's hi-z in the guitar chain, low-z in the loop, but that's just a SWAG. Low-z could load the pickups.
Hi-z in the chain before pedals Lo-z in chain after pedals - what starts as hi-z from gtr becomes lo-z after pedals (but maybe not after TBP? - not sure)

StandingWave

Reaction score
Dunno. An amp input is hi-z and I don't know if low-z would alter how the pedals work. It's quite possible that low-z could load effects too, especially the simpler fuzzes and boosters. In a TBP chain with all pedals bypassed, the guitar will 'see' the amp input through the cable loading. It would be good for someone who actually knows to chime in.

CodeMonk

Reaction score
Here is how I have mine.
And I get ZERO noise.
I also have an ISP G String which has an effects loop.
And yes, I have a few ODs :)
And I will eventually move one of my EQs to the front.

Guitar
Tuner
Noise Gate Input > Noise Gate Send
Volume Pedal (Option 1)
Wah
Compressor
Fuzz
OD
OD
Distortion
Distortion
OD
EQ
EQ
Noise Gate Return > Noise Gate Out
Boss PS-5
Delay
Phase
Chorus
Delay
Volume Pedal (Option 2)

My volume pedal I have switchable to either the beginning of the chain or the end.

Basically, all your Gain type pedals should go before the noise gate.
Everything else goes after. Especially Delay (Noise gates can screw up repeats).

Comic

Reaction score
nice code monk.

i see you're basically looping all your dirt through the noise gate, and then all the reverb delay etc *after* the loop. interesting. i will give this a try. thanks for sharing!

mmcquain

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I would run it like this...

guitar -->
fender tuner --> boss compressor --> boss ns-2 (input/send) --> delta overdrive --> boss distortion -->
boss ns-2 (return/output) --> boss flanger --> delta chorus --> EHX delay --> volume pedal --> amp

I put the volume pedal at the end of my chain since I sometime play theatre productions and having a master
"kill" switch is an important safety net for that type of work. Your volume pedal needs may dictate you put
it somewhere else (e.g., after the NS-2 and before the time/pitch type pedals. As for the NS-2 placement...

NS-2_FX-Loop.jpg

AngryHatter

Reaction score
Chain.png

That said, you can change the position of anything you like in between send and return.

AllmanFan

Reaction score
I would put the delay before the chorus and flange also. I run it this way with an expression pedal allowing me to speed up/slow down the modulation for both the delay and the other modulation effects on my board. The position of the compressor is entirely open for debate but I like it where you have it. The compressor could cause your distortion to be either too trebly when engaged or too dark when bypassed though depending on what compressor you're using.

Comic

Reaction score
duane allman, your point on moving the delay before the flanger/chorus effects is well taken and i will give it a try.

mmquain, i didn't even have the wherewithall to loop the dirty boxes (doh!) between the send and the return on the noise gate. thank you so much for this knowledge.

and a general thank you to everyone for their kind input. there is so much knowledge in this forum and i am truly grateful for it!

happy friday everybody!!!!

snaredrum

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
man, i wish i could make a schematic like angryhatter's. my switching system makes it a tad hard, sadly.

theruns

Reaction score
the only thing i think i would change if i were you is put the od before the distortion. this is how i run mine because the overdrive running into my distortion pedal is awesome when they run together. i keep the amp mostly clean and both overdrive and distortion are set for more of a crunch type sound, but with different flavors. when you kick both in its an awesome gain sound. it has the presence and crunch of the distortion pedal but with more gain and a lot smoother sound. i tried using the distortion before the od and it just sounded nasty to me

ehamady6

Reaction score

I've given this recommendation for pedal order many times here as it works best with my guitars, strings, tuning, amp, cables, playing style, and music genre, but you have to experiment:
Tuner > Volume > Wah > Vibe > Compressor > OD > Distortion > EQ > Chorus > Flange > Phase > Noise Gate > Delay > Amp

I've found the best place for the gate is before the delay because you don't want it to choke off any repeats.

axslinger

Reaction score
I put my time-based pedals and my volume pedal in the loop (Reverb, delay, Harmonizer and Volume Pedal).

I plug into my tuner which goes to my Hardwire Valve Overdrive then into the amp.

With this configuration, my overdrive doesn't intensify my delay and reverb and my volume pedal doesn't affect my level of overdrive.

Latest Threads