Orange Valve Tester - Fail

Pappy58

Reaction score
Anybody have one of these and had trouble with it? Just out of the blue mine is not lighting the heater or applying any voltage that I can tell. All tests fail.
I'm trying to decide whether to open it up and see what I can see or contact Orange.? Of course my curiosity wants to crack it open...but it wasn't a cheap box... What ya'll think?

Pappy

Pappy58

Reaction score
I believe there was a thread about this a few years ago. Have you tried a MLP search?
I found a few, one started by you, but nothing about it failing.. mostly complaints about the price and substandard testing.

efstop

Premium Member
Reaction score
Sounds like it was failing before you bought it. Caveat emptor, wot?

ErictheRed

Reaction score
Check fuses? I have no experience with those, but not supplying a high voltage sounds like it could be a blown fuse.

Pappy58

Reaction score
The Orange support group sent me an RMA request form. I sent a reply asking about how repairs are calculated and charged. To date they havn't responded. I plan to crack it open this weekend and look for obvious like blown fuse as suggested by @ErictheRed

irocdave12

Reaction score
I have one and love it. It has never let me down. No exaggeration I have tested a couple thousand tubes with mine. In fact the Orange has identified tubes that were faulty that got excellent results on my Hickok 539c. Sure enough when the failed orange tested tube was put into a circuit it howled and wailed. So I use the Orange as secondary tester to confirm the Hickok. That being said...The Orange is finicky with tubes that have dirty pins. They must be clean to get a good test on these type testers. I have several times placed tube in the socket and gotten 2 consecutive immediate fails and after some wire brush on the pins gotten great passing results on a third test. I’m betting if you open it up you just find a epoxy encased circuit board you can’t do much with. Now, your tester may in fact have a legit problem. But from what you’re describing I think there is a strong chance you experiencIng the false fails I’ve seen. Are you seeing immediate fails on all 3 sockets no matter the tube type? Maybe clean the sockets and check for debris causing a detected short?

moreles

Reaction score
If it's under warranty, cracking it open seems unwise. Why not send it back for replacement?

Pappy58

Reaction score
It's not under warranty... I opened it up and found two circuit boards stacked and connected with ribbon cables. No internal fuses to be found, nothing melted and no smell. There are two coils on the base board which I assume are load coils. There are three transistors in a horizontal line at the back of the board. (See pics) If I was a betting man I'd bet one of them bit the dust. So I suppose the next task is to remove them and test them. IDK it really pisses me off this thing is this expensive and crapped out like this.

IMG_1566.jpg
IMG_1564.jpg
IMG_1565.jpg

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
MLP Vendor
Reaction score
Before removing components, I would track the heater traces backwards from the tube socket with a DVM. If it's using DC on the heaters check out the rectifier and/or regulator.

Pappy58

Reaction score
I traced some of the tracks and found nothing blatantly open or anything else obvious. Unfortunately I have too many other priorities at the moment so I closed it up for now...try again mid winter. Thanks for the help guys! :cheers:

Pappy58

Reaction score
Yeah, and they sent me an RMA form...but they didnt answer my email on repair fee's. I guess I could go ahead and send it for an estimate. :dunno:

irocdave12

Reaction score
Check the solder joints on all the tube sockets. With all the flexing that goes on inserting tubes in and out a hair line crack in one of the joints seems like a possibility in my mind. And that would likely trip the fail light detecting a short. Other than that I’m at loss but you seem to have a good basic electronic knowledge already so maybe you checked already

irocdave12

Reaction score
Yeah, and they sent me an RMA form...but they didnt answer my email on repair fee's. I guess I could go ahead and send it for an estimate. :dunno:
I wouldn’t be surprised if they didn’t attempt a repair and just offered to swap it out for a flat fee or no cost at all. Especially if you give them a sob story to go along with it about having owned it for years but only testing like 10 tubes before it failed etc etc wahhh wahhh. Usually works with larger companies lol