Orange Tiny Terror vs Marshall Haze 15

jcas367

Reaction score
Hey guys, after doing a lot of research on low wattage tube amps for the past few months I have narrowed my options down to two amps. The first option is an Orange Tiny Terror paired with an Orange PPC112 cab and the second option is a Marshall Haze 15 head paired with the Marshall Haze Slant cab. The Orange cab has a Celestion Vintage 30 and the Marshall cab has a Celestion G12-66. Both are very close in price and sound awesome from what I can hear in online reviews. The main problem is that there are no guitar shops within two hours from me that carry Orange amps so it would be hard to compare them myself. Let me know if you have any opinions. Thanks!

blamo

Reaction score
may i ask the purpose of this new amp?

gigging? jamming? home use? practice?

the haze cabinets don't sound great IMHO and poorly constructed for the price tag.

the haze is a lot more versatile. if you like orange tone, go for the orange.

id personally pick the orange if those 2 were my options. in fact, these were on my list at one point along with the tweaker and the ac15c1. I ended up with the ac15c1.

jcas367

Reaction score
may i ask the purpose of this new amp?

gigging? jamming? home use? practice?

the haze cabinets don't sound great IMHO and poorly constructed for the price tag.

the haze is a lot more versatile. if you like orange tone, go for the orange.

id personally pick the orange if those 2 were my options. in fact, these were on my list at one point along with the tweaker and the ac15c1. I ended up with the ac15c1.
It will mostly just be for jamming at home

blamo

Reaction score
fyi, 15 tube watts is very loud if you're looking for power tube saturation.

do you need cleans?

jcas367

Reaction score
fyi, 15 tube watts is very loud if you're looking for power tube saturation.

do you need cleans?

I'm not really too worried about cleans. I should be fine with 15 watts tube though since I'm used to hearing my friends Marshall JCM 2000 100 watt tube cranked haha

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I recently picked up a Blackheart Handsome Devil for home use, very reasonably priced and a very nice tone/sound from it, especially in the 7w mode for bedroom volumes. It has a level and drive, so you get the master volume thing going for good distortion at bedroom volumes. I have a Digitech RP150 I have in front of it for some Compressor, EQ, Distortion and a few other effects and it really sounds great. The amp itself sounds good, it has a really nice base tube tone, but for harder stuff, I use the amps gain at 6-7 and then do a slight Metal Zone distortion on the RP150 and it sounds killer. Then I can back off the volume on the guitar and it cleans up quite a bit and then just move the volume up and get back to the hard stuff.

I myself when trying lower wattage amps did not like the TT or the Haze too much, the TT being a one trick pony and the Haze just not sounding that good, or at least not as good as the Handsome Devil to my ears. I wanted a little bit of clean headroom though and the TT just did not have that which is another reason I did not choose the TT. The Tweaker Head/cab sounds really good especially as you start to turn it up which I liked and of course this is something I can do since I live in a house and can crank it up a bit when I want to. But... for my current price range in a combo amp, I thought the Blackheart Combo had a warmer sounding tube tone than the Tweaker, not as versatile as the Tweaker, but a better sounding base tube tone to build on.

Now... the Blackheart Handsome Devil combo's speaker could use some impovment, because as the volume goes up, it get's too loose at higher volumes. So.. I plan on replacing the speaker at some point but it is good for now since I am not gigging with it and still using it at home. I ordered the extra 1x12 cabinet since I got a $100 gift card for GC for X-Mas which will give it a little more as the volume goes up, but I may still have to replace the speakers at a later time. My cabinet is on backorder until 1/16, but I really do like the Blackheart for a great base tube tone in a 15w amp.

This is just my 2 cents since I did the low watt tube amp testing for a few months knowing I wanted tube tone after having the Mustang III for 10 months of practicing and messing around with it. You could get the Blackheart Handsome Devil Head and a nice/better Speaker Cabinet which is just a thought.

Anyway... I hope you are able to get out and try one before you buy one, to hear it for yourself if that is what you want. It is really up to you and if it has the tone your looking for, since were all searching for that sweet tone to our ears. I was GAS'n for the new Blackheart HT-5R thinking it would be fuller souding than the older Blackheart HT-5 with the 10" speaker which the older one was lacking some bottom end in my opinion, but could not find any new ones to test out. I did end up finding a Blackheart HT-5 mini stack (2 1x10's) and I was able to test a bunch of amps side by side with the Class 5, the Tweaker Combo and the Handsome Devil combo. I figured that the 2 1x10's would sort of compare to 1 12" in the Blackstar combo at least for a close comparison. It was a very interesting 2 hours just going back and forth between amps to see what I thought sounded best for the money I had to spend. I hope you get this same chance to test side by side and find something you like.

Good Luck!

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Oh... Here is this thread which some talk about the Dual Terror being a little more versitile, maybe that could be an option as well for you. Then you get a master volume/gain on the fat channel and can cut the wattage down to see what that get's you. There is also a link in the thread to get the Dual Terror at a Tiny Terror price range. I do like that my Handsome Devil has a Level/Drive/Bass/Middle/Trebel/Presence for a wide variety of tones, which was a plus for me having the Master Volume and a Presence with different tone options.

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/squawk-box/175872-questions-my-next-amp-orange.html

alexb17

MLP Vendor
Reaction score
hey man i owned the combo version of both of those amps. I still have the orange sold the marshall. here is a demo I did of both amps.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_uiMUM29O8]Demo or Marshall Haze and Orange Tiny Terror Combo Amps - YouTube[/ame]

there are a lot of other cool amps in this price range to that are worth looking at but since you asked about those two....

Just so you know i changed the speaker in both of these amps at the time of the vid. the one in the orange combo was nice but i wanted a different flavor and changed it to a WGS green back clone. The one in the haze was crap. I think I put a veteran 30 in there. I also have a bunch of other vids of these amps on my channel. (studio quality micing. no camera mics)

LesPauI+SG=Win

Reaction score
Orange.

From what I've experienced, the 15 watt haze is a mud box. The combo is not nearly as bad to my ears, but the head sounds like garbage to me. Must be the EL84's that can't keep up!
:laugh2:
The TT is very natural sounding and sounds like an Orange. Which is a very good thing, if you've had any prior experience with them.

colchar

Banned
Reaction score
I should be fine with 15 watts tube though since I'm used to hearing my friends Marshall JCM 2000 100 watt tube cranked

:hmm:

Do you have a realistic idea of how loud 15 tube watts will be for home use?

rjwilson37

Reaction score
:hmm:

Do you have a realistic idea of how loud 15 tube watts will be for home use?
Yep, I can crank it up to about half volume at home and it is a great wonderful thing, where these low watt tube amps start to really shine. It is also really nice to use the 7w switch setting, to jam it out at lower volumes. I imagine that a nice 103db speaker would be a lot louder, since I think my Blackheart is a 99db rated speaker, and the speaker upgrade is something I am might do at a future date if it really needs it for gigging.

Although... I played a Tweaker 15w head through the Egnater Tourmaster 2x12 cabinet. This combination is super loud at half volume and it is tight and beautiful sounding. It was definately louder than my Blackheart, which probably has a lot to do with the Egnater Celestion Elite-80 speakers that come in that cabinet.

Standard 64

Reaction score
tiny terror or orange is the question,blackheart?arent they like $150 (used) for the 15 watt head?

rjwilson37

Reaction score
tiny terror or orange is the question,blackheart?arent they like $150 (used) for the 15 watt head?
?? Tiny Terror or Orange is the question? what is the question on that?

Maybe they can be had for $150, but more likely $250 which is half as much as the TT head, my budget amp so to speak. A TT combo used is about $600 I think.

colchar

Banned
Reaction score
Yep, I can crank it up to about half volume at home and it is a great wonderful thing, where these low watt tube amps start to really shine.

Half volume is not 'cranked'. Cranked is up all the way. And I highly doubt you have ever cranked your friend's 100 watt amp at home.

alexb17

MLP Vendor
Reaction score
depending on your situation I think 15 is OK for home use. I've cranked my 100 watt mesa at home once (i live in VT in the middle of nowhere!) It's insanely loud! Stupidly loud! I'm on the verge of selling it! I can't think of a time when i'll need 100 watts! I crank my tiny terror on 7 watt mode regularly for recording. It's nowhere near as loud and pretty comfortable to be in the room with. It's loud! It's not bedroom volume or apartment but it's not ears bleeding call the cops loud! Volume is just so hard to judge because different people in different environments, have different ideas of way is "TOO LOUD" and what isn't. Also I think the terror sounds great at half volume. That's when i think it opens up and looses the fizz. You don't HAVE to "crank" it to get an awesome sound from it. Also don't limit yourself to these amps. There might be better ones for you out there! try some out if you can.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Half volume is not 'cranked'. Cranked is up all the way. And I highly doubt you have ever cranked your friend's 100 watt amp at home.
A 15w amp at home at half volume is cranked so to speak, I never said cranked all the way up. I have never had an amp that I have had to crank all the way up to get a good tone. I just mentioned that these low watt amps really start to shine at half volume, even in the 7 watt mode you put the level at 1/2 to 3/4 and your in tone heaven. I need better speakers in my Blackheart to go all the way, because all the way up with the current speakers is just too loose and flabby.

I never said my friend had a 100 watt, that is just not smart to have a 100 watt tube amp for home use, for gigging, but not just for home. I have a 100w SS, my Mustang III and put that volume at 4-5 sometimes, it kicks ass as well, but 100w SS is not 100w tube at all.

You need some supreme top quality speakers in my opinion to crank an amp all the way up. I don't consider cranking an amp putting the volume all the way up. I consider cranking an amp at 1/2 to 3/4 quarter volume. Now a 1w or 3w amp you can crank all the way up to get the most out of it.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
depending on your situation I think 15 is OK for home use. I've cranked my 100 watt mesa at home once (i live in VT in the middle of nowhere!) It's insanely loud! Stupidly loud! I'm on the verge of selling it! I can't think of a time when i'll need 100 watts! I crank my tiny terror on 7 watt mode regularly for recording. It's nowhere near as loud and pretty comfortable to be in the room with. It's loud! It's not bedroom volume or apartment but it's not ears bleeding call the cops loud!
Did you break any windows when you cranked the Mesa all the way up? Yea, the TT does not have a master volume, so you have to crank it all the way up to get the most gain out of it. That TT has some nice speakers too, doesn't it. I am thinking my next GAS purchase will be some new speakers for my HD.

alexb17

MLP Vendor
Reaction score
Did you break any windows when you cranked the Mesa all the way up? Yea, the TT does not have a master volume, so you have to crank it all the way up to get the most gain out of it. That TT has some nice speakers too, doesn't it. I am thinking my next GAS purchase will be some new speakers for my HD.

haha! the windows were ok but the house had to be condemed for structural reasons! lol Actually the tiny terror does have a master but it sounds best at half or more with the gain at noon. My combo came with a celestion g12h30. I like it! sounds pretty good.

IndySouthPaw

Reaction score
Although I just bought a Ceriatone OTS 50W...... I am SO Gasing for a TT. I play very articulate blues/rock/jazz/psychedelic and I know the TT didn't have great clean headroom like a D style amp but I loved its clean sound compared to my Fender Blues Jr. That TT is great!

jcas367

Reaction score

We had it up to 8 and he lives in the middle of the woods. All I was saying is that I'm used to being around amps that have a lot more power than what I'm looking for.

Latest Threads