Orange TH30 with Orange PPC212V Cab

rjwilson37

Reaction score
My wife and I just purchased a house in California, right next to a couple of lakes, very nice and we just love it. Anyway... I started moving misc things and of course took all my Guitars and equipment over to the new place. I have my own little corner and while the house is still pretty empty, I connected everything for a little jam session. Without any furniture in the place yet for sound to absorb/bounce off of, it really echo's through the whole place. Kind of like a small wide open warehouse so to speak.

Classicplayer

Reaction score
My wife and I just purchased a house in California, right next to a couple of lakes, very nice and we just love it. Anyway... I started moving misc things and of course took all my Guitars and equipment over to the new place. I have my own little corner and while the house is still pretty empty, I connected everything for a little jam session. Without any furniture in the place yet for sound to absorb/bounce off of, it really echo's through the whole place. Kind of like a small wide open warehouse so to speak.
You just came to mind when I was thinking of asking you if you are still Rock'in theTH30 and the vertical cab. How are you planning on situating the two when you're completely moved and settled in? I’m still with my Dark Terror and PPC112 and both my Les Pauls sound great through it because I' ve now dialed them in for my tone. I enhanced the tone a bit by finding my older Boss DS-1, digging it out and using as a clean boost. I found it's really good at that function because it does not to seem to change the Orange characteristics, unless you want it to.

Classicplayer

flamesarewicked

Reaction score
Even though it seems this model is more modern sounding than other offerings from Orange.. can it do classic rock type stuff even still? I’ve never tried an Orange and a TH30 and 2-112 orange cabs came up for sale locally at a decent price

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I use a color pedal on my HX Effects, which is kind of like a Boss DS-1 Boost to help brighten it up a little to give you that classic rock sound.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
You just came to mind when I was thinking of asking you if you are still Rock'in theTH30 and the vertical cab. How are you planning on situating the two when you're completely moved and settled in? I’m still with my Dark Terror and PPC112 and both my Les Pauls sound great through it because I' ve now dialed them in for my tone. I enhanced the tone a bit by finding my older Boss DS-1, digging it out and using as a clean boost. I found it's really good at that function because it does not to seem to change the Orange characteristics, unless you want it to.
Classicplayer
I have my head/cab in the Family Room, since our bedroom is the master but still not big enough for it. Once our Son moves out, I get that room to use for what ever, so a music room/office it will be. haha

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Thanks everyone, sorry I have not been back online lately, I was very busy with the move. I will post some pictures once I get my guitars on the wall.

flamesarewicked

Reaction score
I use a color pedal on my HX Effects, which is kind of like a Boss DS-1 Boost to help brighten it up a little to give you that classic rock sound.
I have my trusty old TS9 I can try with it.. price is right, may give it a whirl. If I don’t dig it.. on the block it goes..

Mark_the_Knife

Reaction score
Without any furniture in the place yet for sound to absorb/bounce off of, it really echo's through the whole place. Kind of like a small wide open warehouse so to speak.
Don't worry, or do worry. It will be a race between you and the wife as to who stuffs the room first with equipment or furniture. I beat the wife at her own game (which is filling a room with couches, plants, paintings and knick knacks). A Marshall stack, a DSL, two or three Fender amps, plus wall hooks to hold half a dozen guitars, will quickly allow you to stake your claim. Leave room for stomp boxes, modeling amps, and a synth. There is no end to how many things you can add to your collection.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I have my trusty old TS9 I can try with it.. price is right, may give it a whirl. If I don’t dig it.. on the block it goes..
I think pretty much all Orange Amps have a pretty dark tone, with exception to the Rockerverb MKIII (which can do anything) and the Rocker 15 Terror which hits that Classic Rock really well. If you want to get like a Billy Squire type of tone from any Orange besides those two mentioned, you need a pedal or multi effects to brighten it up. But the gain on the Dark Terror and TH30 is just to die for in my book.

JMB1984

Premium Member
Reaction score
I think pretty much all Orange Amps have a pretty dark tone, with exception to the Rockerverb MKIII (which can do anything) and the Rocker 15 Terror which hits that Classic Rock really well. If you want to get like a Billy Squire type of tone from any Orange besides those two mentioned, you need a pedal or multi effects to brighten it up. But the gain on the Dark Terror and TH30 is just to die for in my book.
IMO the AD30 and CS50 are probably the most classic Orange, and brighter than a Rockerverb or other modern voiced Orange amps.

JMB1984

Premium Member
Reaction score
I was looking at the AD30, but the gain was just not enough for me, I just liked the TH30 a lot more.
I agree. I was just speaking in terms of classic tones and brightness. Pair the AD30 with an EP booster and it will sing nicely. The TH30 and Rockerverb are better for the heavy and darker tones for sure. I think the AD30 is complimentary to those others, which is why I have an AD30 and a Rockerverb. Different tools for different purposes.

Classicplayer

Reaction score
I agree. I was just speaking in terms of classic tones and brightness. Pair the AD30 with an EP booster and it will sing nicely. The TH30 and Rockerverb are better for the heavy and darker tones for sure. I think the AD30 is complimentary to those others, which is why I have an AD30 and a Rockerverb. Different tools for different purposes.
Do you use the 30-watt option with the TH-30? With a new home and more space, will you be able to select that amount of power? I'm still enjoying (immensely) my Dark Terror at home. I'm usually at 7 watts and with the tube compliment I have now, it sounds really superb. No pedals needed, but I have an old Boss DS-1 that I'm trying to figure out it's best utilization with this amp.....probably in the nature of a clean boost for a quick phrase or brief solo with the higher notes.

Classicplayer

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I have always used my TH30 in the 30w mode, it just sounds more full and crisp the way I like it, the 15w or 7w thins it out just enough where I prefer the 30w mode for sure.

JMB1984

Premium Member
Reaction score
I also use to run the TH30 and other Orange Amps with the power scaling at full wattage most of the time. The switching to lower watts is useful if you want to drop the headroom. That was good for break up on cleaner channels. However, I always found that I was playing at about the same volume regardless of where the wattage was set at.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
The Rockerverb MKIII can do just about anything you're looking for. Sure it is still that Orange gain/tone which is signature to Orange, but it can do it at such a huge range. You can come close to a Marshall Gain or Fender Clean, but not quite which is why you have Marshall, Fender, Mesa, or Vox that all have that signature tone to them that we all love.

Ever since I heard and played a Dark Terror, that is the Gain Tone that I just love. I tried quite a few other amps over the years, but it all comes back to the Dark Terror/TH30 Gain that gets me to that happy place. :jam:

Latest Threads