Orange TH30 using 4 Cable Method with Helix HX Effects

rjwilson37

Reaction score
When I received my TH30, not to long after I tried using the 4 Cable Method for hooking up my Firehawk FX Multi-Effects Unit so that I could have control about what is in front of the Pre-Amp or behind it and such. Well... not matter what I did with the Software/or Unit to config it for what is said to work with the amp, I could not use my amps gain channel, the amp just stayed clean. I used it using the 3 Cable Method which worked and I had to put everything behind the loop and it worked, but I still did not have the flexibility I was looking for.

Well... I just picked up the Helix HX Effects last week to replace my Firehawk FX and just I just connected it using the 3 Cable method to start of with. It has a lot better effects and is working great, but when I get home today, I am going to try the 4 Cable Method and see if I can get it setup and have it work properly with my TH30. I love the tone I get from my TH30 and just wanted effects which is why I got the Helix HX Effects.

Last edited:

tolm

Bigsby Junkie
Reaction score
I *think* the HX effects can send a CTL signal from (one of?) the expression pedal inputs so you should be able to switch between:

- Clean channel with effects pre- and post-
- Dirty channel with effects pre- and post

All with a single stomp ... good luck! :thumb:

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Thanks tolm, I did hook it up and have it working as expected. The HX Edit software gives you complete control over what you want to do with this unit and it works great. I hooked up a 5th cable (Orange) to control my Amp switching between channels too, just like you mentioned. I will definitely have to play with this more to see what all I can do. But... I am very happy that I have just one Effects Unit to control everything I need, still keeping my amps tone as well as switching between my amps channels still using one unit.

tolm

Bigsby Junkie
Reaction score
Thanks tolm, I did hook it up and have it working as expected. The HX Edit software gives you complete control over what you want to do with this unit and it works great. I hooked up a 5th cable (Orange) to control my Amp switching between channels too, just like you mentioned. I will definitely have to play with this more to see what all I can do. But... I am very happy that I have just one Effects Unit to control everything I need, still keeping my amps tone as well as switching between my amps channels still using one unit.

Nice! I’ve considered doing this myself but I’d need more switches ...

Ideally I want 4 “snapshot” footswitches to set the “base” tone (gain and reverb/delay) and then four “stomp” switches for adding individual modulation / fuzz / tremolo / boost effects on top. Plus tap tempo really ...

Whilst you can split the switches on HX effects that way, the left two go to “snapshot up/down” which leaves only 2x snapshots and 2x stomps available. The full Helix unit will do what I want but I have no interest in the amp modelling nor the extra cost! Guess I need ‘em to do an “HX Effects XL” ...

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Thanks you two.

Tolm… Write to them, there is probably a way to add an additional foot switcher that can add more stomps.

Latest Threads