Orange Terror Owners Compare Your Own

Classicplayer

Reaction score
I'm loving my Dark Terror with both of my Lesters and have the chance to perhaps get (used) a Bret Hines Terror or a Jim Root #4 model. Each of these I have seen with attractive used prices. For those that own the Dark Terror, which of the two I'm contemplating would you say might be a good fit or would compliment the Dark Terror? I've heard that the Hines is designed along the lines of more ”Marshall” in its tone. Do any here own both a Dark Terror and one of two two prospective Terrors that I mention? Which is your favorite if any?

Classicplayer

Last edited:

guidothepimmp

Reaction score
I was looking at those exact 3 before settling on my DT. My second choice.. was the Hinds sig. Just for a bit of a different vibe. My understanding of the #4 and the DT is that they are virtually the same except that instead of the single blend knob, the #4 has separate TMB. Considering that, i assumed similar voicing. And i didnt really want 2 amps that potentially would sound the same.
I still keep a lookout for the Hinds model. I like its differences enough to get one and try it. And it sounds great on the reviews.

I do like my Dark terror though. I tend to use it with the gain around noon. Anything above that and i find it does fizz a bit

Classicplayer

Reaction score
I agree with you re: gain position. Mine is “stuck” just short of 11. It gives me touch control much better noon or higher.

Is not the Bret Hines In more of the “Marshall” camp?

Classicplayer

guidothepimmp

Reaction score
I agree with you re: gain position. Mine is “stuck” just short of 11. It gives me touch control much better noon or higher.

Is not the Bret Hines In more of the “Marshall” camp?

Classicplayer
I think i read somewhere that the circuit was similar in some or other way.. i dont really know.. the tech stuff is beyond me.. I see el84.. i equate it to middy and chimey with little head room.. and i get all hot and bothered. Thats the sort of thing i go for. Hell i like my cleans a bit grimey and sticky..

Classicplayer

Reaction score
I think i read somewhere that the circuit was similar in some or other way.. i dont really know.. the tech stuff is beyond me.. I see el84.. i equate it to middy and chimey with little head room.. and i get all hot and bothered. Thats the sort of thing i go for. Hell i like my cleans a bit grimey and sticky..
“Cleans a bit grimey and sticky” is the way I like it, but rolling Back guitar volume cleans up a bit. Love it!

Would. $375.00 on the Hines be called outrageous? Condition would be excellent, that I know, but I never played the Hines.

Classicplayer

guidothepimmp

Reaction score
“Cleans a bit grimey and sticky” is the way I like it, but rolling Back guitar volume cleans up a bit. Love it!

Would. $375.00 on the Hines be called outrageous? Condition would be excellent, that I know, but I never played the Hines.

Classicplayer
No idea. I am not in US so am not close to costing of these there. If i do the exchange conversion.. its roughly half of what it would retail for here. But gear is quite expensive on my side of the atlantic.

Classicplayer

Reaction score
I'm in the great state of New York, so despite sales tax, I guess I'm not complaining, and especially thinking of countries with V.A.T. and the like. My philosophy is: “What is a fair price, really?” especially today where governments keep printing what we work for and it keeps losing its' “clout”. But, that's another story.

Orange amps seem to be pretty sturdy and tone-full, n addition, so there is some “value” for me in knowing that.

Classicplayer

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score

Classicplayer
For $375, you could always try it out for some fun, and then flip it if it's doesn't jive.

jbash

Reaction score
OR15. If you are looking for something more "70s/80s" or "Marshally" that's the route to go if you cannot do the AD30. - IMO the OR15 does a better job than the R15/Hinds or other Terror series in those respects.

I've bought and sold two of the things, and a third is in my sights. Fantastic fun, those amps.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
OR15. If you are looking for something more "70s/80s" or "Marshally" that's the route to go if you cannot do the AD30. - IMO the OR15 does a better job than the R15/Hinds or other Terror series in those respects.

I've bought and sold two of the things, and a third is in my sights. Fantastic fun, those amps.
That was at the top of my list...except for me, a dual clean/dirt channel amp with a footswitch is a must. I found what I wanted in the R15T. FWIW, it has an excellent ‘terror’ tone on the dirt channel and the clean natural channel is perfect for pedals of any kind -fuzz/distortion/modulation- all sound fantastic.

jbash

Reaction score
That was at the top of my list...except for me, a dual clean/dirt channel amp with a footswitch is a must. I found what I wanted in the R15T. FWIW, it has an excellent ‘terror’ tone on the dirt channel and the clean natural channel is perfect for pedals of any kind -fuzz/distortion/modulation- all sound fantastic.
Yup, the OR15 is old school- cleans are via your guitar volumes- the amp has little clean headroom. But It was designed for the fantastic filth ;)

gadafi

Reaction score
I had a TT combo for a few years, great Class A distortion but bit of a one trick pony for my purposes.

Latest Threads