Orange amp.

Alligatorbling

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
yeah you will need a cab to run the head. how loud are you looking to play? orange makes the 1x8 cab for it. i use mine to push a 2x12 cab. ive pushed a 4x12 with it before.

Jackangus

Reaction score
yeah you will need a cab to run the head. how loud are you looking to play? orange makes the 1x8 cab for it. i use mine to push a 2x12 cab. ive pushed a 4x12 with it before.
Just need an amp to play around the house. No gigging or anything.
So without a cab it wont work? is that what you are saying?
I'm pretty new, so forgive my questions.

cherrysunburst00

TUBE AMP JUNKIE FOR LIFE BAD ASS
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ask away, there are great and knowledgeable folks here. TH 30 would be overkill for just at home playing.

What is your budget and style of music?

cherrysunburst00

TUBE AMP JUNKIE FOR LIFE BAD ASS
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just need an amp to play around the house. No gigging or anything.
So without a cab it wont work? is that what you are saying?
I'm pretty new, so forgive my questions.
Correct, you will need a speaker cabinet with the Micro Terror although it does take headphones, but to me, the sound was terrible

Jackangus

Reaction score
Correct, you will need a speaker cabinet with the Micro Terror although it does take headphones, but to me, the sound was terrible
That brings the price right up if I have to buy a cab as well.

I like classic rock like Pink Floyd, Dire Straits, and indie music like Oasis. Budget, probably about $1500US.

Any ideas guys?

Last edited:

GibsonKramer

The Three G's
Reaction score
Those clips sound great! Are you running the Soul Food into the clean channel or the dirty channel on the Jubilee?

I have been kind of frustrated with my 2550 lately - It's been a little harsh. I think I am going to try a re-tube - what tubes are you running in yours for power and pre-amp?

After seeing those ugly Chinese tubes (they don't sound bad), I went ahead and grabbed a couple matched pairs of EL34. A Mesa set, which is just EHX, and a set of JJ. The EHX get pretty rave reviews in Marshalls, so I threw those in.

I'm running through my wireless and pedalboard, but I'm only using the volume pedal. I really like the EHX. This is with pregain on about 6, and lead master at 10. MV is between 3 and 4.

I like classic rock like Pink Floyd, Dire Straits, and indie music like Oasis. Budget, probably about $1500US.

Dang man... for that kind of money, you could buy a Jubilee!

Serious, that's enough to buy whatever you want. I'd get something versatile enough, to play at bedroom volume, and can at least keep up with a drummer, if you ever take it out. The Micro Terror, with a good cab, will do that. I was running it through my Mesa 1x12 earlier, and it hangs, just fine. I've got some 1x10" cabs with 65 watt speakers, it'll run more than loud enough... and whisper quiet, if you want.

Jackangus

Reaction score
As I know very little about amps, what would you guys recommend getting for a bedroom situation?
I have a Strat, and a Les Paul.
I either want to upgrade completely to a nice all tube amp, or just get a smaller solid state amp. That stills sounds good.

What do you guys reckon? Throw me some recommendations.

Thanks guys for taking the time to help me out. I appreciate everyone's feedback.

BlankinLoud

Reaction score
As I know very little about amps, what would you guys recommend getting for a bedroom situation?
I either want to upgrade completely to a nice all tube amp, or just get a smaller solid state amp. That stills sounds good.

Thanks guys for taking the time to help me out. I appreciate everyone's feedback.

The first decent tube amp I bought was a used Egnater Rebel 20 watt (scales down to 1 watt) head which came with a pair of nice 1x12 cabs for $600ish in excellent condition. The most important thing for me was having the foundation of a pair of good speaker cabs. This has allowed me to over time find deals on and accumulate a selection of different low wattage amp heads.

GibsonKramer

The Three G's
Reaction score

Since you're not really sure what you want, and you'll probably go through some tone chasing... I'd start frugal. You don't have to spend all $1500 at once.

I can't believe I'm going to suggest this, but you might look into something like the Line 6 Helix. I believe member Donal has one. Might hit him up, ask his opinion. The Kemper is a bit pricey, but the Line 6 its within budget.

Otherwise, I'd still look for something with some versatility. I'm not a big fan of combo amps. I like heads, because then you have lots of speaker choices. Big or small. I'd get something with power scaling, preferably something that dropped down to 1 or 5 watts. Both, plugged into the right cab, will give you lower volumes, yet still get loud.

I'd go hybrid, at this point. See if you're leaning towards that tube sound, or modeling/profiling. I don't care what the modelers say. There is a difference, and digital cannot recreate an organic circuit. Some don't care, some say it's close enough. I haven't heard the one, that nails it every time, however.

If you're in the states, Guitar Center has a great return policy. Buy an amp, take it home. You don't like it... take it back. I went through 13 amps, in 12 months, until I found what I liked.

Couple amps you might want to check out, the new Boss Katana (it will sound familiar, no matter what), and Fender just released a new modeling amp, that's impressive. Both are extremely affordable.

Classicplayer

Reaction score
Jammer-5

Your review of the Orange range was good info. What do you mean by the following? What is the one trick?
I refer to,the Jim Root Terror, more bass than the others?

I have the Micro Dark and love it. I use both the PPC108 (adequate for some lower volume work) and
the PPC112 which brings more of the MD's tone out.

Classicplayer

Jackangus

Reaction score
Since you're not really sure what you want, and you'll probably go through some tone chasing... I'd start frugal. You don't have to spend all $1500 at once.

I can't believe I'm going to suggest this, but you might look into something like the Line 6 Helix. I believe member Donal has one. Might hit him up, ask his opinion. The Kemper is a bit pricey, but the Line 6 its within budget.

Otherwise, I'd still look for something with some versatility. I'm not a big fan of combo amps. I like heads, because then you have lots of speaker choices. Big or small. I'd get something with power scaling, preferably something that dropped down to 1 or 5 watts. Both, plugged into the right cab, will give you lower volumes, yet still get loud.

I'd go hybrid, at this point. See if you're leaning towards that tube sound, or modeling/profiling. I don't care what the modelers say. There is a difference, and digital cannot recreate an organic circuit. Some don't care, some say it's close enough. I haven't heard the one, that nails it every time, however.

If you're in the states, Guitar Center has a great return policy. Buy an amp, take it home. You don't like it... take it back. I went through 13 amps, in 12 months, until I found what I liked.

Couple amps you might want to check out, the new Boss Katana (it will sound familiar, no matter what), and Fender just released a new modeling amp, that's impressive. Both are extremely affordable.

Is it the head or the cab that gives you the tone?
Until you mentioned the cab and head route, I would never have thought about going this way.
That could be a great option, I really have no idea about either really.
Would you normally use the same brand head as the cab? or mix and match with any brand?
Thanks for taking the time to give me your thought, really appreciated.

mandobandit

Reaction score
Until you mentioned the cab and head route, I would never have thought about going this way.
Would you normally use the same brand head as the cab? or mix and match with any brand?
another suggestion for your in home play (I am a bedroom player) look into the Boss Katana , I have the 50 watt combo, it is a lot of amp / fun for very little money, and with the ability to scale power output and computer editing is endless in it's tone possibilities

GibsonKramer

The Three G's
Reaction score

That's why I like heads. I have 4 cabs. Two of them have V30s. A Mesa 1×12, and a Marshall 4×12.

They sound completely different. Some days, I prefer one, over the other. I have my Marshall 1 watt anniversary heads plugged into the Mesa, because they sound best, out of it.

So, yeah you can easily, throw it on another speaker cab, for a whole new experience. You'll have the characteristics of your tone. A Marshall head is going to sound like a Marshall. An Orange is going to sound like Orange, Vox, Fender, etc.

And yeah... Check out the Boss Katana. Awesome amp. Always sounds "familiar." I like that about it. And even the little lightweight, 50w 1×12 combo is LOUD, or whisper quiet. I heard the head in a shop the other day. It's got a built in speaker, that sounds pretty damn good.

mikejr

Reaction score
Check out the Orange Rocker 15, then spend the other $750 on whatever you want.

Rocker 15 is perfect in that you can drop it from 15 watts to 7, to 1. Allowing you to crank it in a small room, large room, or small stage.

jimmer_5

Reaction score
Jammer-5

Your review of the Orange range was good info. What do you mean by the following? What is the one trick?
I refer to,the Jim Root Terror, more bass than the others?

I have the Micro Dark and love it. I use both the PPC108 (adequate for some lower volume work) and
the PPC112 which brings more of the MD's tone out.
Classicplayer

The Jim Root Terror has a big, thick, mid-rangey high gain sound. It's great for hard rock to even some metal. I just call it a one trick pony because it's a single channel amp (it doesn't have clean/dirty channels) and it doesn't clean up real well. In other words, it does one thing really well, it's not super versatile.

When I say it has more bass, it's not to say that it has an overly bassy character. It's just that some small EL84 amps sound, well, small, while some can sound like a big, higher wattage EL34 or 6L6 powered amp. Higher wattage amps push bass frequencies better, and you get more low end in your sound. The Jim Root Terror manages to do this very well in spite of the fact that it is a small, lower powered 15 watt amp.

The tone of your amp is heavily impacted by the size of the cabinet and type of speakers. Speakers will also smooth out as they break in, so sometimes a speaker will sound bad at first, but really great after a week or so of playing. Vintage 30's are a very common example of this - they sound harsh and lack bass when they a re new, but after some break-in time, they smooth out the harsh frequencies and develop a bunch of bass response. It's really a striking difference.

Heads and cab are nice because they put the delicate parts of the amp itself in a smaller box and the larger speaker components in a separate cabinet. It also makes it easy to plug into different cabs and see how they impact the sound. Some see this as inconvenient, I see it as handy. Some people just prefer to have everything in one package, but larger combos get very heavy very fast.

Interestingly enough, my favorite cab is the Orange PPC212CB. This is a 2x12 closed back cab, made in the USA (there is a cheaper 2x12 open back cab wit ha similar name that is made in China). They are both great cabs, but there is something special about the closed back. It's oversized, loaded with two Celestion Vintage 30's (V30's) and it has bass response that rivals a lot of large 4x12 cabs. I like V30's because they can be aggressive for rock sounds, but they also are bright enough to sound good clean. The cab is expensive, but you can find them used for about $400, and they're worth every penny.

Last edited:

Gooner

Reaction score

Any ideas guys?
The head and cab together would be about $250

Last edited:

Classicplayer

Reaction score
The tone of your amp is heavily impacted by the size of the cabinet and type of speakers. Speakers will also smooth out as they break in, so sometimes a speaker will sound bad at first, but really great after a week or so of playing. Vintage 30's are a very common example of this - they sound harsh and lack bass when they a re new, but after some break-in time, they smooth out the harsh frequencies and develop a bunch of bass response. It's really a striking difference.

Agreed on the V30. I read reviews of folks who extol the virtues of the Vintage 30. Since I bought my PPC112 last November, I found the reviews not really accurate, but this month (May) while playing my Micro Dark into this Orange cab, I hear it beginning to smooth out....not so crashy and harsh so much now. I think it will only improve with more playing time put on it. It's improvement lately has also made me appreciative of the Micro Dark and its own tone; both clean and crunch.
Whew! I was beginning to think that I had made a mistake with choosing the MD, but the more I play the amp into the PPC112, the more I realize that I chose the right combination of amp and speaker cab after all.

Classicplayer

Latest Threads