Orange amp.

Jackangus

Reaction score
What do you guys think about Orange amps?
I'm a newbie to amps and my Marshall is crapping out, so looking to upgrade.
I have heard good things about Orange.
The one I am looking at is
ORANGE TH30 1X12 COMBO - 30W TUBE GUITAR AMP

What do you guys think?

penguinchit

Reaction score
I think that's a great amp! Can't stand the Micro heads though. Those are horse farts.

lunchbox

Reaction score
Orange amps rule. But I dont like the TH series all that much.

Alligatorbling

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Orange is awesome.

Check out this clip of the Micro terror vs a Marshall

keep in mind you can find the Micro terror used for 100 bucks. The marshall.... well lol

Caoimhin

Reaction score
I own a Thunderverb 200, Rockerverb 100, and an OR50. They make some pretty good stuff. I own a Marshall too but the Oranges seem to be built much better.

NeubyWanKaneuby

Reaction score
I had a TH30. I'd definitely own another if I was in the market for an amp.

pnuggett

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Replace the valves in the Marshall or take it to a tech. It's not a throw away product.

cherrysunburst00

TUBE AMP JUNKIE FOR LIFE BAD ASS
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really like my OR15. Orange makes a cool line of products. CONGRATS

Jackangus

Reaction score
Orange is awesome.

Check out this clip of the Micro terror vs a Marshall

keep in mind you can find the Micro terror used for 100 bucks. The marshall.... well lol

Is this a tube amp or solid state?
Sounds great.

Can this be used on it's own as a complete amp?

Last edited:

RustyNuts

Reaction score
And I've heard a few good things about Orange too.

20161103_135039_zpsblhy0ait.jpg

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Lately the sound has been going low, then back to normal. Could be the valves.
You probably just need a retube, a lot cheaper than buying a new amp and especially if you like your Marshall. What Marshall is it? The Orange TH30 is a nice amp, the clean channel is glorious but the gain channel is modern sounding which I don't like, if you like that kind of sound then youre good. I have an Orange Thunderverb50 which is a good amp and more classic sounding but tonally very muddy without a treble boost in front of it. Orange has some good solid state amps too like the CR60 and CR120 depending on what you need. I'm also a fan of their OR15 too. Go to the store and try some of these Oranges and see if you like them, Orange has a tone of their own so you gotta try before you buy if possible.

jimmer_5

Reaction score
Re-tube the Marshall for sure, but I won't discourage you from checking out the Orange amps either. I have owned a bunch of modern Oranges, and I have really enjoyed all of them. The Rockerverb sound is the one for me, but they are all a bit different and yet similar:

- Tiny Terror - I never owned one, but the "TT" channel on my 30 watt Dual Terror goes from clean to classic rock crunch with al almost modern level of gain. I hear that the actualy single channel Tiny Terror doesn't really do pristine cleans, but it is all things rock.

- Dark Terror - Tons of gain, big sound, more of a fizzy/metal distortion than the other amps. It's deceptive because it can be bright and aggressive, but still delivers smooth leads on the neck pickup. It can sort of do some cleans, but the real surprise is the jangly low/mid-gain sounds it can produce. Really cool amp, but the distortion character was just a bit too fizzy for me.

- Jim Root Terror (Rockerverb Preamp) - I loved this little amp. Huge bottom end, big crunch, you'd never know it's a 15 watt EL84 amp. This amp has more crunch, not so much fizz, and plenty of gain. I hope that someday Orange makes a two channel version of this amp. I only sold it because I bought a full sized Rockerverb. In my opinion, this amp is kind of a one-trick pony. I actually found the Dark Terror to be more versatile, but the one trick that the Jim Root delivered was my favorite trick of all the Terror Series.

- TH30 - This amp is really a Jekyll and Hyde kind of amp. The clean channel may be my favorite non-Fender clean ever. It's warm, but bright enough, not sterile at all, kind of vintagey, with just a little tiny bit of hair on it. Unfortunately, it starts distorting afther 9-10 o'clock on the volume dial. I like clean channels that can distort, but it needed more headroom, even in 30 watt mode. If it started breaking up at 12 0'clock, it would be perfection. Meanwhile, the dirty channel is interesting - plenty of bottom, not super tight like the Dark Terror, but it was also "fizzier" in nature. I have heard that some simple mods can improve it, but I ended up deciding to let the amp go. The market for these sucked when I sold mine, and of course the price has now gone up a few hundred bucks.

- Rockerverb MKII - Great bang for your buck on these. The cleans are warm and nice, but not TH30 nice. I liked them, but they weren't my favorite. The dirty channel is everything that people love about the Rockerverb. If you don't mind the style of cleans, these amps are about $1000 used these days.

- Rockerverb MKIII - I found a smoking deal on a like new 100 watt MKIII, and I sold my MKII and my TH30 to make it happen (it didn't cost quite as much as both amps sold for). Either way, in my opinion, this amp is worth the extra cost. The cleans are an improvement over the MKII - glassier, chimier, still warm, but more usable. I still think the TH30 is the winner, but the Rockerverb has the headroom you need while still being able to break up on the clean channel if you want. It really is a beautiful clean sound and is birth enjoyable and usable. The dirty channel is still the same fantastic sound that you hear on the MKII, and it does huge, high-gain crunch. Switching to the neck pickup, you get smooth, syrupy, high-gain leads. I love it. The onboard attenuator is the icing on the cake. I've discovered that I still much prefer to play the amp loud, but it's really useful having one knob to globally bring the level down while running the power tubes hard.

Last edited:

jimmer_5

Reaction score
I love my new Micro Terror!

Here you go.

Orange vs Marshall.

Those clips sound great! Are you running the Soul Food into the clean channel or the dirty channel on the Jubilee?

I have been kind of frustrated with my 2550 lately - It's been a little harsh. I think I am going to try a re-tube - what tubes are you running in yours for power and pre-amp?

GibsonKramer

The Three G's
Reaction score
Those clips sound great! Are you running the Soul Food into the clean channel or the dirty channel on the Jubilee?

I have been kind of frustrated with my 2550 lately - It's been a little harsh. I think I am going to try a re-tube - what tubes are you running in yours for power and pre-amp?

Thanks. :acoustic:

Honestly, I haven't ever touched this amp. Never unscrewed the back. I'm an old sailor, we're somewhat superstitious.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

But... for you, man... and just because I am curious.

20170515_120828_zps3r7pl6hq.jpg

20170515_120907_zpskrygokjx.jpg

20170515_121338_zpsbj1zcag4.jpg

20170515_121439_zpslnybjca1.jpg

20170515_120550_zpsburo2pmw.jpg

Just some JJ ECC83S, and looks like no name Chinese?

I'll probably roll some tubes in it, now I'm settled. I've got a set of JJ EL34, and I think a set of Mesa Boogie, as well. If I can ever find them! Found 1 JJ.

I always run into the dirty channel. Sometimes with the rhythm clip, most times without. Use the SF, when I want it raunchy, and bit more bite.

I'll do the same song, no SF. I'll let you know my amp settings, when I sit down to do it.

Last edited:

Latest Threads