Opportunity to buy back my old Les Paul... Thoughts.?

RocketKing

Reaction score
I had an R8 fairly recently. As awesome as it was, it didn't quite scratch that itch I have for this one... Some of the best complements on my sound and playing was when I had this LP... I only sold it to fund a LP Junior at the time.
Well that settles it then!
Buy it back... See if your friend will give you a bit of discount. For friendship sake :D

premiumplus

Reaction score
I'd buy it back. I had a '68 Les Paul Black Beauty that my parents bought me new. I had that guitar 18 years and in the throes of drug addiction I sold it to the pawn shop. I've regretted it ever since and I'd jump at the chance to buy it back.
Now I'm 30 years sober, and I had the chance to buy a 2018 50th Anniversary LPC reissue, the "One of 300" made. I scored it and couldn't be happier, it's even a better guitar than my original '68 was.
But if I could buy my original back I'd do it in a heartbeat.

cherrick

Reaction score
It cost me £595 new... Sold it for £800 in 1985... I suppose one could ask how much £595 investment could yield in 40 years.
Shouldn't have sold it in the first place, but that's life I suppose...
That is not a $4154 guitar.

Don't buy it back. For that you can get a fabulous R9 Custom Shop with lots of burst and 100% resale value.

Time to let go and move on. Reward yourself by seeking out a really nice R9, or even better a nice R4 for something different.

Justin_Case

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Perhaps the asking is over market? If so by how much - this is the downside risk of buying it. The upside is you have the guitar back you've had regrets over selling for a long time back. No plans to sell? If so, as long as the money involved does not make or break you, it's a no brainer.

The acid test is to pretend you just found out he sold to someone else for the same amount yesterday. Can you live with it? Forget about it? Or are you still going to have pangs for it?

p90rules

Reaction score
That is not a $4154 guitar.

Don't buy it back. For that you can get a fabulous R9 Custom Shop with lots of burst and 100% resale value.

Time to let go and move on. Reward yourself by seeking out a really nice R9, or even better a nice R4 for something different.
I totally get your logic, but in this situation, nostalgia and sentiment can easily overide that... Its a real help to see all these different perspectives though

kakerlak

Reaction score
If you can establish a fair, UK market value for it, maybe it's worth talking price with your friend. I mean, if you guys are friends and he's willing to sell "for a fair price," then have a discussion about what that might be and see if you can come to an agreement there. OTOH, if he's offering above what he considers FMV because it's something he doesn't want to sell and this is his "everything has a price" price, then you have to decide whether sentiment is worth the premium.

One last thought: I'm hard-pressed to think up any used Gibson I passed over 20-25 years ago b/c is was overpriced then that wouldn't be worth more than the ask, now, and that includes ones with no real collector value. So there's a decent chance it overtakes the premium in value eventually.

kakerlak

Reaction score
Also this: if you get it back, is there any chance at all that you decide to sell it? If not, then the buy-in price is pretty academic and really just a "can you live with yourself, knowing you overpaid" issue and not worry about making a bad investment.

The other funny thing about time is, I used to wheel and deal a TON back in the nineties and haggled on stuff left and right, walking away over $25 differences, etc. I can remember roughly what I paid for most of the guitars I've held onto from that period, but only within a couple hundred bucks, in most cases. Easily a way wider range than whatever I thought was a make-or-break price point back then. Some of the oddball stuff I bought back then is worth no more now than it was at the time, most of it has increased a little, but all the Fenders and Gibsons have probably doubled-tripled in value. Norlin SGs were $500 guitars, LPs $1000, pre-CBS Jazzmasters $700, etc. I wish I'd bought nothing but them. All-original fifties Juniors were $500.

Demon Dave

Reaction score
I bought in 1991 a 1980 black LP custom, I sold it in 2002 to get a new Standard. I think about my Custom, like everyday... I don’t know if I Could buy it again if I had the chance to do it. I’d put a Paul Stanley vintage sticker in the back, if it still on there I could cry...

PS
RIP Eric Carr, never forgotten

cherrick

Reaction score
I totally get your logic, but in this situation, nostalgia and sentiment can easily overide that... Its a real help to see all these different perspectives though
Understood. And I empathize ... like a huge mo' I sold my 1952 Les Paul (original, P90's, trapeze bridge, goldtop). If it were offered today at today's prices I would have to suffer the pain of passing on it. So, I get where you're coming from.

I just think that you're about to pay over $4K for a $1900 guitar at best.

simon connor

Reaction score
I think you buy it. If it turns out you don't love it as much as you thought - which seems like a possibility - then you sell it again. If you love it, you keep it. Either way your 35 years of regret are over, and that has to be a good thing.

simon connor

Reaction score
I have an ES335 I bought new in 1987 for $800. That same guitar bought new today would be roughly $3000 (not sure.) But you're talking about a Heritage 80. They are pretty sought after guitars, as I understand it. I don't see how you can lose, at least not a huge amount anyway.

BadPenguin

Reaction score
Ok, after reading all the replies, I am surprised no one mentioned the important thing here: How does it play? I am sure you've played it since he mentioned possibly selling it back to you. Is it as good as you remember? Would you be willing to shell out that kind of money on another guitar? 3500 is a LOT, but is it worth it to YOU? That's all that matters.

p90rules

Reaction score
I've not seen or held the guitar since I sold it 35 years ago, only in pictures as the guy is a 4 hour drive from me. All I can do is take the trip and hope it's still got it for me.. If it's radically different in any way, such as my not liking the feel since it's refret, or I just don't take to it, I'll just leave it

JMP

Reaction score
Buy it back and rid yourself of regret. Keep us updated. It’s pretty amazing you’re even being presented with this opportunity. Life is too short.

Brek

Reaction score
Just buy it, I would love to buy either of my page’s back, no chance now. I know of someone who sold a guitar that was his ‘one’ he ended up flying to America to buy it back, I think his total bill was 28k.

looking at reverb prices he is not scalping you. Seems about the lower end of the going rate

judson

Reaction score
Ok, after reading all the replies, I am surprised no one mentioned the important thing here: How does it play? I am sure you've played it since he mentioned possibly selling it back to you. Is it as good as you remember? Would you be willing to shell out that kind of money on another guitar? 3500 is a LOT, but is it worth it to YOU? That's all that matters.
I've not seen or held the guitar since I sold it 35 years ago, only in pictures as the guy is a 4 hour drive from me. All I can do is take the trip and hope it's still got it for me.. If it's radically different in any way, such as my not liking the feel since it's refret, or I just don't take to it, I'll just leave it
yes to the above...

i was thinking if you have not played it in 35 years.....things change, both you and that guitar...go play it and maybe its like dating an old girlfriend....its ok for a few hours but then you realize time changes alot of things

you might see it , play it for 20 mins , then realize that as it was nice to see and play it , but you moved on years ago and it just doesnt do it for you.....

let us know ....there is no wrong answer either way really :dunno:

i had a limited run firebird medallion, sold it , years later, saw one of the 344 made bought it at a great price, glad i did but it didnt have to be the exact one i had....its was just a nice run of guitars really, glad i grabbed it.....really would not buy one at todays prices nor would i sell the one i bought a year or so back.

Last edited:

mudface

Boo Bee
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have always regretted selling my number 1 1981 Les Paul Leo’s limited reissue serial number L1 009. It was my instrument of choice on countless gigs and demos.... I still own the back up a 1978 Custom that shared just as much attention.

30 years into the unknown.... it was sold to a dealer that is no longer living. No clue where it is.

If I had a chance to buy it back..... I would not. I’m afraid 30 years in someone’s else’s hands it would not be recognizable in mine. This is just my opinion and your circumstance differs than mine.

Though I have acquired other instruments that replaced it happily.

I miss what I did with it more than the guitar itself..... and the people I did it with. All of which has gone in separate ways. It was a prize possession at the time.... not so much now.

Its your opportunity.... so I can’t advise you on your decision. Either way I wish you luck.

Latest Threads