Opportunity to buy back my old Les Paul... Thoughts.?

p90rules

Reaction score
So I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I bought a Les Paul Standard 80 Heritage new in 1980, a particularly nice, low number example.. Like an idiot, I sold it in 1985 to the guy who still owns it today.
I've sort of kept in touch with him over the years and hinted at wanting it back, but last weekend I contacted him, just to see how it was going on, and long story short, I have the opportunity to buy it back. My dilemma is that this is the guitar I've regretted selling most of all and it does have some sentiment attached to it.
It's had a refret. The neck pickup has had to be rewound by Seymour Duncan. The finish on the back of the neck had to be refinished due to it flaking off. Other than that, it's just as I had it, except for some classy looking fading which makes the top come alive. The general condition it great as well.
This will be a keeper that will be left to someone in my Will when I'm gone... Lol..
The guy is looking for approaching £3500.
It seems a lot of money, but I think this unusual back story might justify the cost, to me anyway.
I'd really appreciate your thoughts on this guys, plus your thoughts on the guitar itself.
See last picture of when it was still in my ownership and how it's faded since then... Cheers guys.
IMG_20201121_135305.jpg

IMG_20201121_135242.jpg

Screenshot_20201124-132822.jpg

IMG_20201121_111715.jpg

Attachments

Jeremiah

The Worst
Reaction score
ugh, do I even want to know how much he paid you for it? best not to know, I guess

You've regretted letting this guitar go forever, it seems. Now's your chance to right that mistake. For you, I think it is worth it.

p90rules

Reaction score
It cost me £595 new... Sold it for £800 in 1985... I suppose one could ask how much £595 investment could yield in 40 years.
Shouldn't have sold it in the first place, but that's life I suppose...

integra evan

Reaction score
That's quite the looker! Lots of fade!
It's really up to you

p90rules

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies so far guys... Lots of differing views here.

Thundermtn

Reaction score
What are you waiting for?!

Killer LP with history, beautifully broken in, with sentimental attachment, and a great top, on top of that you're also buying a piece of your youth. Take him 3,300 cash and get it over with.

RocketKing

Reaction score
Well you're obviously going to take a hit on it with a buy back BUT :
If you can afford it, do so. It's only money. And it sounds you're definitely passionate about it.
Providing of course it doesn't create financial problems for you.
The way I see it, at that price, the alternative is a historic reissue.
If you're into that type of stuff.
Wouldn't you like a recent reissue better?

monstruo_loco

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still hurting over having to sell my black ‘74 Les Paul Custom while going through a divorce in the late ‘80s, every black Custom with chrome hardware catches my eye & I naturally start looking for the “20th Anniversary” fret inlay, if I ever see it and it’s not ridiculously priced I’ll probably buy it back, got it in trade so I don’t have an original price that I paid for it like my ‘64 strat, ‘72 Dan Armstrong acrylic, etc. that have slipped from my fingers.
Only you can know how much it’s worth to you after comparison to current resale prices, if you want it back then just buy it or you’ll be kicking yourself twice - once for letting it go and again for not buying it back, just my opinion.

LeftyF2003

Reaction score
Sentimental value trumps logic and reason. I still regret selling my '67 SG Jr, and I'd gladly buy it back if the idiot I sold it to hadn't hogged out the P90 and put in a PAF (as well as stripping the nearly flawless finish). If you love the guitar that much buy it back, or you'll regret missing the opportunity.

My two pennies

PS - looking at prices on that guitar the price is fair - I found they were going for between $4,500 and $6,000 (though that seller may be a bit delusional).

rabidhamster

Reaction score
$4660 USD, to me, wouldn’t actually be any opportunity for me to recover my old guitar. It would be more frustrating than not being given the “opportunity” to begin with, because they both have the same end result of me not getting the guitar back. In fact I’d probably lose the guys phone number and never call again.

But he wore the frets and neck finish off once; it may not even feel like you remember.

LP1865

Reaction score
Go get it. It looks amazing, and if you liked it, I don't see what's stopping you

kakerlak

Reaction score
I say buy it if it's been half-ass haunting you for 35 years. I'm not up to speed on the UK market, but I always understood things to be pricier over there. These have come up a lot in price, though; I think you'd probably struggle to buy one under $3200 or so here and I've seen asks that were nuts. The refinish work is a little tough to factor in on the price.

tramp

Reaction score
Oh hell yes! Life is short brother, and if you do, maybe you could try to recreate the same photo 35 yrs later for shits and giggles.

Rob the Photog

Reaction score
Ask yourself, what else could you buy with £3,500? If you find yourself daydreaming about other gear, then maybe you'll be happier spending your money that way. If your mind keeps going back to your old guitar, then you definitely should take the opportunity to buy it back (but personally, I'd try to haggle him down a little due to the repairs and modifications that you mentioned).

Another perspective: Would you miss this old Les Paul as much as you do if you had no idea where it was today? Do you miss it because it was truly the one that you allowed to get away, or do you miss it because you've been able to keep tabs on it for all these years, and you feel like it's still within your reach?

Also, have you had a chance to play it recently? Do you like the new frets?

In the end, only you can make this choice. But I offer one last thought: If you do buy it back and decide that it was a mistake, you'd likely be able to get most of your money back by selling it again.

p90rules

Reaction score
Thanks guys... Yes, its the one guitar I've kicked myself for selling over the years. I suppose knowing where it is and the fact that I've been in contact with the guy a few times and that he's a decent guy as well makes me think, if its going to be available, why not.

p90rules

Reaction score
Well you're obviously going to take a hit on it with a buy back BUT :
If you can afford it, do so. It's only money. And it sounds you're definitely passionate about it.
Providing of course it doesn't create financial problems for you.
The way I see it, at that price, the alternative is a historic reissue.
If you're into that type of stuff.
Wouldn't you like a recent reissue better?
I had an R8 fairly recently. As awesome as it was, it didn't quite scratch that itch I have for this one... Some of the best complements on my sound and playing was when I had this LP... I only sold it to fund a LP Junior at the time.

Latest Threads