Opinions: What's More Important? Appearance Or Playability?

Androo

Reaction score
Playability matters the most obviously BUT looks matter a lot as well. That's why some of us have solid colours while others have bursts and in multitude of different colour combinations. It might sound brilliant but it has to look good as well. At least for me.

loneguitar

Reaction score
You can have the most beautiful guitar made, but if it doesn't sing it's just wall art.

dazzypig

Reaction score
You can have the most beautiful guitar made, but if it doesn't sing it's just wall art.

But the argument is always going to be, if it doesn't play well or it sounds bad, don't buy it.

There can't be many people walking into guitar shops and thinkin "I wonder if that horrible looking guitar is a player"?

You try it 'cos you like the look of it, you buy it cos it plays well.

The_Wretched

Reaction score
It's 50-50 for me. Can't have one without the other. I could try the fugliest guitar in the world... yet have better sustain, tone and neck than a LP and I still wouldn't even think about taking it.

Guitars are like art to me... I'd rather have Megan Fox than Oprah.

zslane

Reaction score
There can't be many people walking into guitar shops and thinkin "I wonder if that horrible looking guitar is a player"?

No, probably not.

But it does remind me of the scene in Californication where Hank goes with his daughter to the Hollywood GC to buy her a guitar. More of a parable than a strict portrayal of reality, but I'm sure there are plenty of folks who share Hank's sentiments (and would agree heartily with the buying choice he and Becca made).

Kinetic

Reaction score
playability/tone is paramount really, but anyone who says looks are not important is speaking out of their ass. For me it has to have a great tone and be playable but also look great, otherwise I cannot justify spending 3K ++ on a LesPaul.

Latest Threads