opinions needed: modding a 57ish junior husk.

what would you do?

• rout for two vintage humbuckers

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • restore it as good as possible

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • pass altogether

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters

Airplane

Reaction score
i have a chance to buy a 57(ish) junior husk from a friend. a really nice slab of gorgeous mahogany. some dumb previous owner routed a big, but not deep, hole in the top an put some weird lapsteel pickup in it. must have been on some weird drugs or something.. other than that its in good shape without any parts. fixing the whole properly would be very difficult, since it has the original sunburst finish and the whole goes from the original PU route all the way to the top edge of the body (upper end) and is about three or more inches wide.

today out of nowhere i thought about the guitar and a two humbucker frankenstein junior came to my mind. the whole is pretty awful and even with a patch, matching the color and transition of the burst is next to impossible.

i usually hate conversions of healthy guitars and similar blasphemy projects, but since the damge is done already... what are your thoughts on this?

judson

Reaction score
:photos:but i would go with a single p90 which hopefully can cover the hacked out cavity......pics would help

yamariv

Reaction score
i have a chance to buy a 57(ish) junior husk from a friend. a really nice slab of gorgeous mahogany. some dumb previous owner routed a big, but not deep, hole in the top an put some weird lapsteel pickup in it. must have been on some weird drugs or something.. other than that its in good shape without any parts. fixing the whole properly would be very difficult, since it has the original sunburst finish and the whole goes from the original PU route all the way to the top edge of the body (upper end) and is about three or more inches wide.

today out of nowhere i thought about the guitar and a two humbucker frankenstein junior came to my mind. the whole is pretty awful and even with a patch, matching the color and transition of the burst is next to impossible.

i usually hate conversions of healthy guitars and similar blasphemy projects, but since the damge is done already... what are your thoughts on this?
How does this thread even get posted without Pics.. :facepalm: Op, please regroup and come back :cheers2:

none2low

Reaction score
Yes, :photos:first... Then advice!!

Need to see what you'd be working with before we can weigh in with suggestions.

endial

Reaction score
Do NOT, under any circumstances post that "dumb" previous owner's name.

Airplane

Reaction score
:photos:but i would go with a single p90 which hopefully can cover the hacked out cavity......pics would help
if that was the case i would never get funny ideas like „converting“ a 57 junior.. the hole is humongous and goes all the way to the edge.

Airplane

Reaction score
How does this thread even get posted without Pics.. :facepalm: Op, please regroup and come back :cheers2:

Yes, :photos:first... Then advice!!

Need to see what you'd be working with before we can weigh in with suggestions.
It’s in the hands of a luthier/friend of mine. i will visit him next week to get some work done, i will ask if i can take some photos.

i have done some restoration and repair work and build two replicas of 60s guitars, but i don’t think i would to much of the work myself. i mean i could just cut and paint a block of wood anf if it matches the color i‘m done. but if not i would have it done professionaly.

Airplane

Reaction score
i found a project which is exactly what i was thinking of. i must say it looks pretty good.. even cooler than i thought.

Ph03n1x

Reaction score
If it is a massive swimming pool style defect, I would be tempted to fill it with mahogany and then put a roasted maple top on it. It would end up like a burst conversion that way and cost way more to do. The alternative would be to fill it in with mahogany and then do some sort of black or dark brown nitro finish to hide the work. You could then try to age it to match the rest of the finish. It sounds like you might be handy enough to do this yourself. Part of how you decide to go depends on if you like p90s or not. I would be tempted to do the black finish and source a vintage p90 or 2. Definitely keep the wraptail bridge if you have it. They have a different feel and tone. After a few recent experiences with LPs, I feel like a cool combo would be a firebird style pickup in the neck and a p90 in the bridge. Sort of the reverse of Neil Young.

Airplane

Reaction score
If it is a massive swimming pool style defect, I would be tempted to fill it with mahogany and then put a roasted maple top on it. It would end up like a burst conversion that way and cost way more to do. The alternative would be to fill it in with mahogany and then do some sort of black or dark brown nitro finish to hide the work. You could then try to age it to match the rest of the finish. It sounds like you might be handy enough to do this yourself. Part of how you decide to go depends on if you like p90s or not. I would be tempted to do the black finish and source a vintage p90 or 2. Definitely keep the wraptail bridge if you have it. They have a different feel and tone. After a few recent experiences with LPs, I feel like a cool combo would be a firebird style pickup in the neck and a p90 in the bridge. Sort of the reverse of Neil Young.
He says he considers selling it if the original lacquer is preserverd and no maple top is attached. which i agree because that kind of work is really over the top ( :naughty: ) for a guitar that is 3/4 in tact.

The wraptail needs to stay because i adore the feel and attack of a wraptail guitar. all hardware is gone except for the anchors.

humbucker in the bridge and P90 neck would br very nice, but i don’t really like the look of that combination..

Ph03n1x

Reaction score
The wraptail needs to stay because i adore the feel and attack of a wraptail guitar. all hardware is gone except for the anchors.

humbucker in the bridge and P90 neck would br very nice, but i don’t really like the look of that combination..
I don't know why I consider the traditional P90 neck / firebird bridge or HB bridge wrong. I just feel like the p90s rock in the bridge but sound a bit muddy in the neck. The only exception were 2 50s LP specials I played in a store in Tokyo.

I have a LP with humbuckers that kind of sucks despite asking the pickup winder to make something with clarity in the neck. (I don't think he actually wound it though) My Navigator is cool but my Greco with Wolftone pickups only sounds good in the bridge and the neck is pure mud. I have 2 P90s LPs that are more clear and they tend to be muddy in the neck. I am considering a firebird style pickup for the neck in one of my P90 guitars and even looking at something similar in an HB format for in Greco LP.

The pickup balance is key. You can have 2 pickups that are a bit harsh or even muddy and compensate with pedals / EQ. But if the 2 pickups are completely mismatched it totally screws things up.

judson

Reaction score
if that was the case i would never get funny ideas like „converting“ a 57 junior.. the hole is humongous and goes all the way to the edge.
dayuummmm...well i think i agree with pho3n1x post...the single bridge P90 in a jr does it for me, i have others with 2 pups

but its yours do what works for you......we still like :photos:

Airplane

Reaction score
I don't know why I consider the traditional P90 neck / firebird bridge or HB bridge wrong. I just feel like the p90s rock in the bridge but sound a bit muddy in the neck. The only exception were 2 50s LP specials I played in a store in Tokyo.

I have a LP with humbuckers that kind of sucks despite asking the pickup winder to make something with clarity in the neck. (I don't think he actually wound it though) My Navigator is cool but my Greco with Wolftone pickups only sounds good in the bridge and the neck is pure mud. I have 2 P90s LPs that are more clear and they tend to be muddy in the neck. I am considering a firebird style pickup for the neck in one of my P90 guitars and even looking at something similar in an HB format for in Greco LP.

The pickup balance is key. You can have 2 pickups that are a bit harsh or even muddy and compensate with pedals / EQ. But if the 2 pickups are completely mismatched it totally screws things up.
I have a feeling that muddy neck PUs are the main issue with modern guitars.. all vintage gibsons i played have fantastic neck PU tones including my 69 ES 345. it’s probably 1/3 guitar, 1/3 PUs and 1/3 electronics. that’s my guess anyway..

i kind of agree that a PU mix is wrong, especially with vintage wood projects. that natural CC gibson did a while back looked pretty nice tho!

boogieongtr

Reaction score
Steam the neck out, fill the holes with mahogany, plane off 3/16" from the top then glue a 3/16" new mahogany top on. When you route the radius the glue line will go away. Then you have a fresh top to start from. I have done this twice with great success. It's a lot of work but one way to totally hide the repair.

Latest Threads