Opinion on Marshall SL5

MUSTANGCAT

Reaction score
They are nice amps but, for my taste buds they sound too modern. They are a little too over the top. I'm not impressed by how it sounds when ran at clean level also. I did not know they were MIC. I prefer a C5H.

hrfdez

Reaction score
They are nice amps but, for my taste buds they sound too modern. They are a little too over the top. I'm not impressed by how it sounds when ran at clean level also. I did not know they were MIC. I prefer a C5H.

I agree! I think they are just rocking machines, ton of gain!

d2_racing

Reaction score
C5H = Class 5 Head I suppose ?

With that kind of amp, you use which cab ?

d2_racing

Reaction score
Also, I found that the dirty channel is way better then the clean channel.

In fact, I can clean it pretty good by playing with the volume on my LP.

With that trick, I have 3 band EQ,volume and gain instead of a single volume knob.

Does this amp accept pedals or the clean is too muddy ?

I always read about that a good amp for pedals needs to have a good clean channel.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
A lot of people make the mistake of plugging into the first input, which is for a single coil pickup's, or very modest humbucker's, where the 2nd input is for a Les Paul. If you're on the clean channel using input 1, then it will sound more muddy using a Les Paul with Humbuckers.

JCM900MkIII

Reaction score
No, it's not uk made. People will try to sell it up, but that fact will keep the price down, unfortunately.

He's asking about value not quality. Historically, foriegn products do NOT increase in value.

Best thing to do is play it or trade it.

Foreign products.

Ma Gibson is foreign, Ma Marshall is foreign. An Aston Martin is foreign (to me).
Sucky foreign crap...

:thumb:

That is very much like (and just as untrue) as saying "If it ain't Dutch, it ain't much"

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Yeah you are right, I used input #2.
Mostly all the Youtube videos on the SL5 amp, you see everyone plugged into the Input 1. So... when they're playing on the clean channel, it breaks up a bit and this is the main reason why, rather than a nice cleaner tone with more headroom on the clean channel.

I just bought one of these, mainly for that JCM 800 80's hard rock tone that I love. I have a Blackheart Handsome Devil for a really nice clean tone. The Handsome Devil has a really nice boutique smooth creamy clean tone to it that I just love for an inexpensive low watt tube amp switchable between 7/15 watts.

Latest Threads