Opinion on Marshall SL5

d2_racing

Reaction score
Hi everyone, right now I own a Marshall SL5 and I plan to sell it to buy a Tone King Imperial 20th anniversary or a Sky King.

Do you think that amp will have any resell value one day, since it's a signature amp ?

I'm selling it because I think that 5w for a clean tone is not very much headroom.

Any owner of the SL5 here ? Do you like that amp or it's too expensive for a little 5w amp ?

GibsonMarshallGuy

Reaction score
No, it's not uk made. People will try to sell it up, but that fact will keep the price down, unfortunately.

JCM900MkIII

Reaction score
Hi everyone, right now I own a Marshall SL5 and I plan to sell it to buy a Tone King Imperial 20th anniversary or a Sky King.

Do you think that amp will have any resell value one day, since it's a signature amp ?

I'm selling it because I think that 5w for a clean tone is not very much headroom.

Any owner of the SL5 here ? Do you like that amp or it's too expensive for a little 5w amp ?

If you kept the box and the amp is in pristine condition, I'm sure it will be a worth a bit more then today.
But only if it is "like new".

Wait untill Slash dies, and the price will ~double.

Also convinced that the soldering machine in China has the same qualifications as the one in the U.K. (in fact, they are made in the same factory...)

Having problems with them (amps) being Made in China is just utter sillyness
Maybe they use different components, but the location where it's made is of NO consequence whatsoever.

Question: How many electrical engineers work at the production line at the Bletchly factory?

.:{KC}:.

Reaction score
I love mine! I didn't buy it for the cleans. I don't care about resell value and i am not much of a Slash fan. In fact i am curious if a greenback would make much of a difference. I wanted a medium gain low watt amp and this is perfect!

snakepit87

Reaction score
I was in the market for one when I sold my AFD100 but i just found it to be a of a let down compared to the head. So I bought the blackstar vintage pro club 40, the limited red one!
It's badass and I run the slash tobacco pilot run through it.....burns my ears off!

Gridlock

Reaction score
Don't see these for sale used to often, but sellers are usually asking around $600 (U.S.).

Otto tune

Reaction score
5 watts in a tube amp is plenty for home or small gigs.
Amazon sells new for $699.
E-Bay, from $599 to $799 (?)

I think it will be hard to sell for anywhere near $699, but it's a Marshall, and people love the names.

d2_racing

Reaction score
Originaly, I bought this amp because of the 5w to 1w mode.

Now, I want a really good clean channel amp with a bedroom volume.

Maybe the Imperial or the Sky King with the attenuator enabled will do the trick.

I want the best possible clean channel so that I can put some pedals to it. I read that the best setup to have a decent pedal board is to have an amp with a decent/good clean channel. Without that, you may end with some weird/bad overall tone and dynamics.

GibsonMarshallGuy

Reaction score
If you kept the box and the amp is in pristine condition, I'm sure it will be a worth a bit more then today.
But only if it is "like new".

Wait untill Slash dies, and the price will ~double.

Also convinced that the soldering machine in China has the same qualifications as the one in the U.K. (in fact, they are made in the same factory...)

Having problems with them (amps) being Made in China is just utter sillyness
Maybe they use different components, but the location where it's made is of NO consequence whatsoever.

Question: How many electrical engineers work at the production line at the Bletchly factory?

He's asking about value not quality. Historically, foriegn products do NOT increase in value.

Best thing to do is play it or trade it.

Iron Broadsword

Reaction score
@d2 - That is true, but a lot of guys don't like the sound of OD from pedals. Personally I like amp crunch boosted... It's all about personal preference so figure out what YOUR ears like or you'll end up spending a buttload of money in the long run. The best setup is the one you love the sound of.

d2_racing

Reaction score
Yeah, you are right Iron_Broadsword, person preference.

d2_racing

Reaction score
He's asking about value not quality. Historically, foriegn products do NOT increase in value.

Best thing to do is play it or trade it.

Yeah, the amp is Made In China or something like that.

My next amp will be Made In USA if possible.

jw3571

Reaction score
I have the amp, i'm going to be posting it for sale soon. I really like the amp but it is pretty loud, even on 1 watt. I'm going to stick with my Axe FX.

d2_racing

Reaction score
I will sell it for 575$ canadian.

That amp need to get out of my house :p

Otto tune

Reaction score
Yeah, the amp is Made In China or something like that.
That's not necessarily bad. I-phones are made in China too. Almost everything electronic is made in China.
Yeah, I'd like to support US jobs too, but then I couldn't afford it, and I'm not sure it would be better. Is a Chevy better than a Honda? No.

What we do better than anyone is come up with ideas.
Then, the grunt work is outsourced.

d2_racing

Reaction score
Yeah, but the hardware is cheaper IMOO.

Just the transformer, it's maybe 50% of the overall tone and the components too.

I know that a lot of boutique amp use some military grades components and that's why there's is no hum when the amp is full cranked up.

Droog

Reaction score
I like my SL5, I use the 5w channel and just turn the volume down if needed. I play on the dirty channel, and turn my guitar volume down if I want a cleaner sound, I don't use " Fender Clean tone " all that much. :shock:

Blu

Reaction score
I absolutely love mine!!...great little portable combo...I was just jamming it over at a friends house, he was playing a DW drum set and that little SL5 just sounded great :dude: I'm keeping mine

DavidRamey

Reaction score
d2, if you are looking for clean tone, why not buy a Fender Super Champ X2, Princeton or Deluxe Reverb? Keep your Marshall and use an ABY switch to switch between the two amps?

hrfdez

Reaction score
Yeah, but the hardware is cheaper IMOO.

Just the transformer, it's maybe 50% of the overall tone and the components too.

I know that a lot of boutique amp use some military grades components and that's why there's is no hum when the amp is full cranked up.

Not always true my friend! A lot of marketing BS goes a long way. Unless you can verify with their military contacts or go behind the Iron Curtain to make sure the tubes are Soviet made:laugh2::laugh2:

I know I don't have the expertise to open up an amp, and say well, this part came from Fort Knox and this one came from Fort Benning, :laugh2::laugh2:

Latest Threads