Opinion on Hosco fret / leveling file

therealfrogman

A fool and his money....
Premium Member
Reaction score
I am not a builder but I have been doing my own fret work and wiring stuff for several years. I own some fret crowning files and have been able to do decent work on the dozen guitars I have, I am usually pretty quick to just buy want I think works but this one has my heart beating pretty quickly! I have wanted a flat file like this for spot leveling and being able to crown with it too makes me really want to buy it.

Is there any among you that have one and can comment on it? Seems like a decent investment to me.

pshupe

Premium Member
Reaction score
It seems a little pricey. I wouldn't necessarily use it on a complete re-fret or new build for leveling the frets. It's too short for that. So I do not see it as a 3 in 1 tool actually. I have a diamond file from Stew Mac and regardless of fret size I always use the same curve file. I start on an angle and work my way towards the top on each side.

If you are looking at it as your first file, or willing to spend that kind of money, I would look at the Z files. I use the diamond file kind of like the Z file. I found it hard to match the radii with the tool flat against the frets. This is just an amateur's opinion. So take it for what it is.

Cheers Peter.

Roxy13

Reaction score
I do have a Z file and 2 triangle files. One thing about a triangle file is that you can use one of the flat sides to knock down a tall fret here or there and it will recrown anything. Sometimes the normal fret files just won't get low enough and seem to work best on a new fret job. That's when I will abandon my Z file and use the triangle ones. It does take some practice though to get good with one, but once you do you don't have to think about it really. The Z file though is perfect for anyone! I don't think you could screw up a crown job with that.

Latest Threads