Opinion - Does installing strap locks negatively impact sellability/value if original screw holes are enlarged?

mdubya

Reaction score
To OP's question:

Buying a guitar with Schaller strap buttons is a pain in the ass for anyone who does not use or like to use Schaller.

It equates to needing a minor repair and the guitar no longer being original because the hole needs to be dowelled and redrilled to revert to the original buttons.

This is not the same as a pickup swap or tail piece swap. Even if the original buttons are included (they almost never are) a slight repair is still required.

mdubya

Reaction score
Order some old style Schaller pins off Amazon. They work fine with old and new strap ends.

Sure, that is not a pain in the ass when buying a used guitar. Why wouldn't the seller include these in the sale of the guitar (again, they almost never do)?

Schaller superiority complex is real. :lol:

jestremera

Reaction score
There are mod-free alternatives that work great. D'Addario strap locks work really well and that's I what use. They take seconds to install or remove and also hold your cable in place.

Cozmik Cowboy

Reaction score
Having Schallers already installed would definitely be a plus for me, as I would put them on myself immediately, anyway - on any electric, regardless of make, model, or age, as I do not consider keeping the buttons vintage-correct to outweigh the vintage-correct sound of a guitar hitting the floor - which happens with standard buttons, with oversized buttons, and with Dunlops, but never with Schallers.

Cozmik Cowboy

Reaction score
Sure, that is not a pain in the ass when buying a used guitar. Why wouldn't the seller include these in the sale of the guitar (again, they almost never do)?

Schaller superiority [snip] is real. :lol:
FIFY

mdubya

Reaction score
the vintage-correct sound of a guitar hitting the floor - which happens with standard buttons, with oversized buttons, and with Dunlops, but never with Schallers.
Absolutely 100% not true.

Schallers fail all the time.

There are two types of Schaller users:

1. Those who have had Schallers fail.
2. Those who will have Schallers fail.

When you least expect it.

**All meant in good fun. There is a reason some of us swear against using them.

Fool proof Schaller installation, btw. When your Schallers fail mid gig, do this:

diogoguitar

Reaction score
If there are two identical guitars for the same price, I would choose the one that doesn't have schallers on it for the reasons others described.

I've used a set for maybe 5 years, but I much prefer the rubber washers over the original strap pins.

Cozmik Cowboy

Reaction score
Absolutely 100% not true.

Schallers fail all the time.

There are two types of Schaller users:

1. Those who have had Schallers fail.
2. Those who will have Schallers fail.

When you least expect it.

**All meant in good fun. There is a reason some of us swear against using them.

Fool proof Schaller installation, btw. When your Schallers fail mid gig, do this:

I have said it before, and will no doubt say it again: In 41 years of using Schallers - not only on every electric I own, but on the ones my son owned before he moved out, and, (more to the point) on every one I had care of in my roadie days (including, among others, '53 LP, '59 Strat, '66 Tele, '66 Electric XII, '59 ES-330-TD, '68 (?) All-RW Tele, '64 SGC; you get the idea), and watching countless others so equipped, I have never seen a Schaller-equipped instrument fall. Ever. Nor has anyone I know in such a way as to have a discussion of such matters seen it. I have not even heard a "my sister-in-law's cousin's friend talked to a guy who said he'd heard it happened to someone he didn't know" story about Schallers failing.

Far and away the best strap-lock system for electric guitar. Hell, I like them so much, I almost put them on my classical (self-control prevailed, and I went with buttons at both ends & beer washers - which go on all my acoustics).

I repeat - based on 4 decades of first-hand empirical evidence, as well as second-hand reports of like evidence from highly trusted sources, I maintain that Schaller's DO NOT drop your guitar. Period.

If you know of any that did, I'd bet $5 Federal that someone neglected to put a wrench on them every few months to assure tightness - and that failure would not be a failure of the Schallers, but rather of the operator; the best design in the world (which would, of course, be Schaller's) cannot overcome neglected regular maintenance.

Dunlops? Seen far too many fall off those - both the completely stupid original design, and the later ever-so-slightly-improved recessed button style. I wouldn't trust them with my worst enemy's Teisco..........

mdubya

Reaction score
I have said it before, and will no doubt say it again: In 41 years of using Schallers - not only on every electric I own, but on the ones my son owned before he moved out, and, (more to the point) on every one I had care of in my roadie days (including, among others, '53 LP, '59 Strat, '66 Tele, '66 Electric XII, '59 ES-330-TD, '68 (?) All-RW Tele, '64 SGC; you get the idea), and watching countless others so equipped, I have never seen a Schaller-equipped instrument fall. Ever. Nor has anyone I know in such a way as to have a discussion of such matters seen it. I have not even heard a "my sister-in-law's cousin's friend talked to a guy who said he'd heard it happened to someone he didn't know" story about Schallers failing.

Far and away the best strap-lock system for electric guitar. Hell, I like them so much, I almost put them on my classical (self-control prevailed, and I went with buttons at both ends & beer washers - which go on all my acoustics).

I repeat - based on 4 decades of first-hand empirical evidence, as well as second-hand reports of like evidence from highly trusted sources, I maintain that Schaller's DO NOT drop your guitar. Period.

If you know of any that did, I'd bet $5 Federal that someone neglected to put a wrench on them every few months to assure tightness - and that failure would not be a failure of the Schallers, but rather of the operator; the best design in the world (which would, of course, be Schaller's) cannot overcome neglected regular maintenance.

Dunlops? Seen far too many fall off those - both the completely stupid original design, and the later ever-so-slightly-improved recessed button style. I wouldn't trust them with my worst enemy's Teisco..........
The photo above is my guitar.

I was talked into Schallers because I was told I "needed" them. Installed by the tech I was having service my SG. I never liked the pins sticking into me (SG heel strap button) or the fact that I could no longer set the guitar on its butt and lean it against my amp (due again to the pin).

And there I am gigging away when the Schaller nut backed off and the guitar fell off of its strap mid gig.

I stuck the strap on the useless Schaller button and clicked the Schaller locking mechanism over top as in the photo. It has been that way for 25 years. Never again. I have heard dozens of stories and excuses for Schallers over the years. Nothing else has ever failed me. The fender washers on the SG Classic (I had them on my Sheraton, too) are truly fool proof.

I remember a tech trying to tear a leather strap off of the Sheraton with the metal fender washers. I had to yell, "WTF? dude!" at him and tell him to unscrew the strap button to get the strap off.

If you have never heard of Schallers failing, it is because you haven't listened.

I will never use a strap lock that does not have the strap hanging directly on the strap button itself.

People can use Schaller all they want. But they do and will fail.

First hand experience.

Oversized buttons and rubber washers are the best thing I have found, short of the fender washer solution.

Cozmik Cowboy

Reaction score
The photo above is my guitar.

I was talked into Schallers because I was told I "needed" them. Installed by the tech I was having service my SG. I never liked the pins sticking into me (SG heel strap button) or the fact that I could no longer set the guitar on its butt and lean it against my amp (due again to the pin).

And there I am gigging away when the Schaller nut backed off and the guitar fell off of its strap mid gig.

I stuck the strap on the useless Schaller button and clicked the Schaller locking mechanism over top as in the photo. It has been that way for 25 years. Never again. I have heard dozens of stories and excuses for Schallers over the years. Nothing else has ever failed me. The fender washers on the SG Classic (I had them on my Sheraton, too) are truly fool proof.

I remember a tech trying to tear a leather strap off of the Sheraton with the metal fender washers. I had to yell, "WTF? dude!" at him and tell him to unscrew the strap button to get the strap off.

If you have never heard of Schallers failing, it is because you haven't listened.

I will never use a strap lock that does not have the strap hanging directly on the strap button itself.

People can use Schaller all they want. But they do and will fail.

First hand experience.

Oversized buttons and rubber washers are the best thing I have found, short of the fender washer solution.
1) The Schallers on my Sheraton & J5, as well the 330 I mentioned & 2 335s I didn't, are all where that one is; they have never poked me.

2) Not being able to set it on its butt is a good thing (Alembic's original body design had a point there - so you'd have to use a stand; this was due to the number of instruments they'd repaired that had fallen because of that practice).

3) Repeating, now: "If you know of any that did, I'd bet $5 Federal that someone neglected to put a wrench on them every few months to assure tightness - and that failure would not be a failure of the Schallers, but rather of the operator...." 15 seconds with a wrench twice a year would have prevented the nut backing off. That's not on their design.

4) As noted above, I use beer washers (which are like the Fender-branded ones, except higher quality, and priced about the same for 100 as Fender wants for less than 10) on acoustics - but the rubber does dry out & crack; never happens with Schallers.

Latest Threads