Opinion - Does installing strap locks negatively impact sellability/value if original screw holes are enlarged?

decoy205

Reaction score
Depends how they were installed. If whoever installed the locks used the screws that came with them it may not fit the hole right and strip it. I prefer the method of finding the same size stock screw and shaving head to fit the locking peg.

I dunno if it would stop me from buying a good guitar though. I’d probably try ans see how they were installed and knock off a few bucks from a seller for a bad job.

Rocco Crocco

Reaction score
Sticking a couple toothpicks into an enlarged strap button hole is fine. You can't see it, it doesn't affect the appearance, sound or playability. What is the harm?

I mean, we're not talking about vintage guitars, right?

Barrakuda

Reaction score
Thank you all for the feedback.

I finally found the (first) LP for me and I'm not likely to do any real mods to it. I like the strap locks for a sense of safety based on the 1 time I had a guitar fall and ease of putting on and removing the strap, but with the fact that the screws in the new style Schallers are physically integrated into the button and not swappable, it gives me pause doing something that, however minimally, will actually modify the guitar - enlarging the screw holes. If I were to part with the guitar, both the locks and the original buttons would go with it, but I felt it might be something detrimental to "modify" a Custom Shop guitar.

So I thought polling here would be a great way to feel out how impactful that would be seen to knowledgeable folks like all of you who aren't shy to share an opinion! :dude:

Mesamay2003

Reaction score
Don’t just screw in a larger screw, you might crack the finish…

Barrakuda

Reaction score
Don’t just screw in a larger screw, you might crack the finish…
Right-o! They indicate as self-tapping, so supposedly should not be an issue if I proceed. Though to be super-safe I might put down a layer of Frog Tape, soap the threads, screw it in, remove it, remove the tape, and reinstall if I do put them on.

E.T.

Reaction score
Get two 1" metal washers with 3/8" holes in them, take the buttons off, put the buttons back on with the washers outside the strap. You won't be able to use the strap for anything else, but it'll beat the shit out of straplocks for actually securing the strap to the guitar, will cost you less than a dollar and is completely reversible with no damage to the instrument.

mdubya

Reaction score
Get two 1" metal washers with 3/8" holes in them, take the buttons off, put the buttons back on with the washers outside the strap. You won't be able to use the strap for anything else, but it'll beat the shit out of straplocks for actually securing the strap to the guitar, will cost you less than a dollar and is completely reversible with no damage to the instrument.

smk506

Reaction score
I can surely understand the angst with this being a new high end guitar and all, but if it’s a keeper just install the schallers if YOU like them.

They’re on 75% of mine because I like them, I’ve never had a problem selling a guitar with them on and if the new owners don’t/didn’t like them they can change them themselves because it isn’t rocket science.

E.T.

Reaction score
For a ten-year-old guitar, I don't think replacements are a big deal. On a 35+y/o guitar? Then it matters. Maybe.
I did @angeldeville 's thing with recessed Warwick straplocks on my old Norlin custom- though I wouldn't dream of doing the same to any of my current guitars it was sort of cool to be able to stand it upright on its butt without it falling over :thumb:

Pop1655

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Order some old style Schaller pins off Amazon. They work fine with old and new strap ends.

I totally get the question. The new one is a bigger screw and it's attached to the pin. Not sure all realize that. I hesitated before installing. Recently considered removing a pair from a guitar and have hesitated for just that reason. I think your question is much more valid than some are treating it. I won't be installing another set.

On another note, there was a thread on here a while back dogging the new C-locks about the wheel coming loose. I rebuked it at the time. Now I've experienced it (not in a bad way thankfully). I've gone cold on the new ones. Still like the old ones. Actually have been playing with Dunlop duals lately after having a set come with a guitar. They're growing on me.

bum

Reaction score
I'd be putting strap locks back on so it would not bother me at all, it does to me indicate the person gave a crap about the guitar, so overall it would be a plus point.

01GT Eibach

Reaction score
The bottom line answer to the OP's question is that strap-locks are the one mod that will not hurt the value of the guitar, assuming performed properly, etc. The above washer solution is fine, except it is semi-permanent in that it pretty much dedicates that strap to only that guitar. I have the same type of strap-locks installed on my Les Pauls so I can use the same strap for any of them. I do also have an old SG Std, but don't use strap-locks on it as it has never fallen of a strap (or threatened to) in the many decades I have been playing it.

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
anyone that leaves a strap on a guitar while in the case is asking for trouble.

does not change the value at all.......

Latest Threads