Opinion - Does installing strap locks negatively impact sellability/value if original screw holes are enlarged?

Barrakuda

Reaction score
I bought a set of the new Schaller S-Locks for my Custom LP along with a very nice Franklin embossed suede strap once I decided to pull the trigger on that guitar. When they arrived, however, I hesitated on installing them as the integrated self-tapping screws seem to be a bit larger than the screws in the original strap buttons - so they may open the holes ever so slightly.

I have had one guitar drop from a strap popping off decades ago - on my Ibanez RG530 Roadstar II which had chevron-shaped strap buttons on it originally. Unfortunately it landed on the cable that was plugged in and shattered some of the finish around the jack. That guitar has worn the leather strap locks ever since, but I never remove the strap on it and for my LP with the lacquer finish, I don't plan to leave a strap attached. But that experience is why I started using locks.

So - not to debate whether strap locks are a worth-while addition, but my hesitation is that, technically, this would potentially be modifying the guitar as if I ever decide to sell, even with providing the original buttons the holes would have been enlarged slightly so reinstalling the original buttons would require extra effort (I always keep original parts with my guitars if I swap something).

I thought this would be a great place for a temperature-check. Would installation of these locks be a negative to you if you were considering purchasing a guitar?

Barrakuda

Reaction score
Value probably isn't the right word either - more would it dissuade you and be considered a con in your mental weighing of the purchase. I personally would rather not have to dowel and re-drill just to put back on original buttons. Which is exactly why I stopped before installing.

moreles

Reaction score
Even though I think mechanical straplocks are an unnecessary and excessive complication, and would remove them first thing, this would still be a nonissue for me. You don't even need to dowel the hole -- just use a bigger screw on the regular strap buttons.

Mike I

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or use the original screws with the new strap locks.

Sometimes you may need to sand a little off the original screw head circumference to fit in the hole of the new strap lock, but not enough to matter when reinstalling the original buttons.

hotshot

Reaction score
I personally don't like them. They look odd the way they stick out. It would make me "pass" on the guitar. I bought a strap with a lock built in the ends. They are called Lock-it straps.

ElChoad

Reaction score
I think that the difference in screws used would be a lot less concerning to me than the giant dent where it hit the ground. I always install the Dunlop dual design straplocks, and when I sell the guitar, I include the original buttons and a pair of the ends for the straps.

rfrizz

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
For a ten-year-old guitar, I don't think replacements are a big deal. On a 35+y/o guitar? Then it matters. Maybe.

Phillycheez402

Reaction score
My Slash Standard has Grover strap locks installed. Bought it new, I think it's a bonus to have them on because I prefer them

LCW

Reaction score
It’s an upgrade imo. I put Dunlop strap locks on all my guitar. Makes it so much quicker to remove the strap when putting in the case to bring to a practice space or wherever. And doesn’t wear out the loops in your strap when removing/installing frequently which would make it even more prone to falling off.

Plus it spaces the strap away from the body so it doesn’t put those heavy scratch marks into the finish.

On my Studio I enlarged the top screw hole. On my Standard I went to the hardware store and found screws of the same size as original and turned down the heads so they fit into the straplock buttons.

mdubya

Reaction score
The most recent guitar I bought came with Schaller buttons. No front half of the strap locks, though, so they are completely useless.

I happily ordered a strap and over sized buttons and installed a rubber washer.

I fu**ing hate Schaller. :wave:

MP4-22

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
grover buttons with factory screws and Schaller SLock strap locks.... Done.

jbash

Reaction score
It's an upgrade. Just like new pickups are considered an "upgrade" But I think overall any "upgrades" are a detriment to the value of the guitar (if such things are a concern).

I prefer the schaller strap locks and it probably wouldn't be a big deal for me. But when I see people who are trying to sell a Les paul (or whatever) where they have changed a whole bunch of stuff - Tuners, bridge, pickups, wiring, tailpiece, new nut, etc- I start to get the feeling they were throwing all kinds of money at the thing to make it sound worth a damn, and gave up. Those I avoid.

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Screw it in above or below the existing strap buttons…
Actually u should add two, one above and below

Your basically tripling the value if u do :h5:

-chris

Latest Threads