Opening act tips?

Sinmastah

Epi Verification Expert
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
My band got a gig to play a 25 minute set for an opening at a smaller venue (same one we practice at).

It's my first gig, and I never really thought much about opening for another band that much, so anyone have tips? Here is the proposed set list.

Kryptonite- 3 Doors Down
Hysteria - Muse
Song 2 - Blur
Time is running out - Muse
War Pigs - Black Sabbath.

lazz

Reaction score
Relax, enjoy it and dont trip over your lead and fall on your face.

AXE

Six String Soldier
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Just do your best.
If the main is a working act and like you they may ask you to do it again.

0$$0

Hamtone

Reaction score
Relax and have fun

What time of venue is it?

TOMMYTHUNDERS

Reaction score
hey i've heard the song war pigs!

...it's the only song you're playing that i've heard of :(

brianugly

Reaction score
My band got a gig to play a 25 minute set for an opening at a smaller venue (same one we practice at).

It's my first gig, and I never really thought much about opening for another band that much, so anyone have tips? Here is the proposed set list.

Kryptonite- 3 Doors Down
Hysteria - Muse
Song 2 - Blur
Time is running out - Muse
War Pigs - Black Sabbath.

Muse is pretty kickass, and their songs are great for getting a crowd going...Good luck! Oh and take a lot of extra strings and cables...

Good Song choices!

Sinmastah

Epi Verification Expert
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Relax and have fun

What time of venue is it?

6:30

hey i've heard the song war pigs!

...it's the only song you're playing that i've heard of :(

You should listen to some of the other songs, they are sweet.

Muse is pretty kickass, and their songs are great for getting a crowd going...Good luck! Oh and take a lot of extra strings and cables...

Good Song choices!

Thanks man, I'm going to be changing strings at least on my elitist pretty soon. I should have an extra cable around to use.

brianugly

Reaction score
6:30
You should listen to some of the other songs, they are sweet.

Yes they are. I listened to Butterflies and Hurricanes on the way to school today, along with some Plug in Baby...gotta love muse!

Sinmastah

Epi Verification Expert
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Small auditorium..

100_2468.jpg

100_2470.jpg

100_2469.jpg

I believe they will have a good sound engineer there to work on our gear and sound too, which will be very nice to have around.

Big John

usually off
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
You guys practice any moves? Choreography owns the crowd. :jam::jam::jam:

geochem1st

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Go in and kick ass.

I remember seeing Lynerd Skynyrd open for Black Sabbath, blew them off the stage.

10 years After open for Edgar Winter. Both great bands, 10 years After's performance is the one I remember most from that night.

All bands are at one time opening acts. Its what you do with that opportunity that counts. Above all have fun, then the audience will also.

Sinmastah

Epi Verification Expert
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Go in and kick ass.

I remember seeing Lynerd Skynyrd open for Black Sabbath, blew them off the stage.

10 years After open for Edgar Winter. Both great bands, 10 years After's performance is the one I remember most from that night.

All bands are at one time opening acts. Its what you do with that opportunity that counts. Above all have fun, then the audience will also.

Thanks man, I think it's good that we are opening with a bunch of energy, with songs like hysteria, song 2, and war pigs. I feel like they will be good for keeping the crowd into it. Also that means free tix to go see the band following us :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

John Vasco

I was with the band
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
This has been asked before, and I've probably posted a lot of this before, but here goes.

1. The whole band should arrive at the venue in plenty of time, to set up, and generally make sure the on-stage area is to your satisfaction. DO NOT ARGUE with the organiser of the event, the sound engineer, or the other band. Discuss and negotiate if any issues crop up.

2. If you are going to put fresh strings on, DO NOT do that on the day of the gig. I suggest 2 days before to give you time to get them settled in.

3. Write a set list that everyone is happy with, and stick to it.

4. As soon as your equipment is in, get your guitar out into the open in a safe place, to allow it to acclimatise to the atmosphere of the venue.

5. Find out what time you are expected to go on (IMPORTANT)

6. Decide who is going to talk to the audience, and stick to it. Don't start doing that kind of thing on an ad-lib basis. It just comes out garbled.

7. Tune up twice at least. Once when the equipment is set up (prior to any sound check you may do), and again immediately before you go on. All the stringed instruments should tune to a tuner, not to the individual's ear! Believe me, I've seen some young bands do this, and the result has always been a musical mess.

8. The whole band should be on stage and ready ON TIME!

9. Make sure EVERYBODY knows who counts in each song.

10. If you're doing any backing vocals, step up to the mic when your time comes, deliver, then step back again.

11. At the end of the set, the whole band should exit the stage smartly and promptly. Do not amble off as though you are walking around a Saturday market!!!

12. Fight off hordes of adoring females fans afterwards (if you want to... :dude:)

A lot of the above might seem basic, and you may feel, 'yeah we've got all of that covered', but if just one person is not fully aware of those points above, things can go easily awry. It's a 'professional' approach from start to finish that is needed.

Gook luck, Hals und Beinbruch!

Sinmastah

Epi Verification Expert
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Thanks Vasco, I'll make a huge note of a lot of those things.

Sinmastah

Epi Verification Expert
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I guess one question I have is what is a proper way to leave the stage and announce the next band.

John Vasco

I was with the band
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I guess one question I have is what is a proper way to leave the stage and announce the next band.

OK, exiting the stage first. When I was in a cabaret band supporting big name TV stars, we had a simple routine. At the end of the first set (the 'listening' set), those playing instruments simply unplugged their leads and let them drop to the floor. As we were doing this, the drummer came around his kit and lined up with us. This would take about 5 seconds at the most. On a whispered count of 4 (the audience couldn't hear this) we would bow from the waist once, straighten up, and turn 90 degrees and head off immediately to the dressing room. In your band's case, it might be that everyone comes to the front, acknowledges the crowd and heads off stage quickly.

As for announcing the next band, I would not think they would be on stage and ready to start seconds after your band finished. Or am I wrong on that assumption?

Latest Threads