Oops.. EC Vibro Champ went down this am.

Frogfur

Reaction score
Well, just as the title states my brand new two month old Vibro Champ just quit this morning. Bummer..

Just playing the tel and it just stopped making noise. ok,..
So check the fuse, good. Check power tube, & rectifier both lit with no discoloration. Pre-amp tubes look good too.

No smells, discoloration anywhere. Everything looks good.
Amp turns on, power light is on, everything on the board is lit.
I can see nothing wrong anywhere. So....
I call Fender as of course i am past zzounds 45 return policy..wouldn't you know. But!, Fender was great. They are going to send me a shipping label and pay to have it shipped to a repair facility as there are aren't any within two hours of where i live. Then i can either drive over and get it, or i can pay to have it returned here. Pretty fair actually. So, iam waiting for them to call back now.

But guys glad i wasn't recording or giging with it. It's a pricy sob so i didn't expect that. Good thing i got my good old D.R. so i can still keep on keep'n on.

life..geez

bilbarstow

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well ... somebody has to say it. First World Problems. :naughty: :cool:

If you didn't have at LEAST one backup that you could use in the meantime, well we'd have to drum you out of the Squawk Box.

Good luck with the repair - I would expect Fender to treat you right. Hope it isn't something serious, cause that is a very cool amp.

Frogfur

Reaction score
Well..as a last resort, checked everything one more time. Both the rectifier tube, and the power tube glow orange. Both pre-amp tubes glow as well.

Tried two different leads, two different guitars, and the tremelo foot switch just to see if i could hear warbble like usual when it is engauged. What i do hear, is a very faint speaker hum. I assume(i know.,i know,)that there is power to the speaker.

So, i don't think it's tubes but i know nothing about amps. Either they work or they don't. So when i hear back from Fender, I'll almost certainly have to ship it for repair or replacement.

I dislike problems like this. Probably don't have 25 hours play time on this amp.
GRrrrrrr..,

Markpilip

Reaction score
Hope you get it sorted soon. I've had one for a couple of years, and it's probably my favorite amp. Oozes tone juice.

bilbarstow

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Frogfur,

First, you should understand that the fact that the tubes "glow" is not a positive indication that they are working correctly. When you see glow, it is because the filaments are heating up the other components of the tube in preparation for the current flow. But it is just that, the heaters are working. Can't have the tube work *without* the heaters working, but it is NOT an indication that they ARE working.

It is possible for them to glow and still be non-functional. Whether that is because the tube is bad, or because something before the tubes is not working is still to be determined. The first way to check that is to try replacement tubes. If different (known good) tubes still don't work, well then it is probably something in the circuit itself (failed cap, failed resistor, bad power (rectifier?), bad transformer ?).

I would at least try replacing the tubes as a first troubleshooting step, before I sent it off to a Tech or Fender for repair.

If it makes you feel better, heaters working IS a good sign - at least your Power Transformer is providing 6.3 V to the heaters, so maybe the PT is working fine.

NYPV

Reaction score
I had a mystery crap-out on an amp once. Turned out to be the speaker, not blown just stopped working. Good Luck and TG for warrantys.

El Kabong

Reaction score
Never had a problem with my ECVC... I agree that I would swap out the tubes and double check all the speaker connections before sending it in...

Frogfur

Reaction score
Ok thank you, i will swap out the tubes, there are only four so that should be easy.
Can i get some opinions on the Groove tubes that are stock? Can someone recomnend replacements, or should i replace with something else?
Anyone that has swapped tubes that owns this amp?

Thank you

randelli

Reaction score
Frogfur,

First, you should understand that the fact that the tubes "glow" is not a positive indication that they are working correctly. When you see glow, it is because the filaments are heating up the other components of the tube in preparation for the current flow. But it is just that, the heaters are working. Can't have the tube work *without* the heaters working, but it is NOT an indication that they ARE working.

It is possible for them to glow and still be non-functional. Whether that is because the tube is bad, or because something before the tubes is not working is still to be determined. The first way to check that is to try replacement tubes. If different (known good) tubes still don't work, well then it is probably something in the circuit itself (failed cap, failed resistor, bad power (rectifier?), bad transformer ?).

I would at least try replacing the tubes as a first troubleshooting step, before I sent it off to a Tech or Fender for repair.

If it makes you feel better, heaters working IS a good sign - at least your Power Transformer is providing 6.3 V to the heaters, so maybe the PT is working fine.

Sound advice..........get it? SOUND ADVICE :applause:

Try swaping the two AX7's and see if you get anything.

El Kabong

Reaction score
Ok thank you, i will swap out the tubes, there are only four so that should be easy.
Can i get some opinions on the Groove tubes that are stock? Can someone recomnend replacements, or should i replace with something else?
Anyone that has swapped tubes that owns this amp?

Thank you

I find Groove Tubes to be hit or miss... since they are repackaged they are not producing their own tubes, but buying in bulk from the lowest bidder. I find JJs much more consistent across the board and unless I'm looking for something specific I try to stick to JJs.

The Ballzz

Reaction score
duaneflowers,
Do you actually own all those guitars in your slide show? :shock: If so, you are one truly sick individual! :wow: I mean that in a most sincere and respectful way! :bowdown
Just My $.02,
Gene

El Kabong

Reaction score
duaneflowers,
Do you actually own all those guitars in your slide show? :shock: If so, you are one truly sick individual! :wow: I mean that in a most sincere and respectful way! :bowdown
Just My $.02,
Gene

Thanks... a few non-Lesters floating around here as well, but that's the bulk of the harem.

Latest Threads