only the shape & scale the same build

billyk

Reaction score
Just want to thank everyone for all the inspiration over the last 5-6 months. Bin lurking & learning. A little back ground on my interest. My son has bin playing in original bands since he was 12..Mostly punk rock but now much more motorhead like sound.. he is 30 now & still going strong with his band American Speedway (myspace.com)..about a year ago he decided he wanted & old plexi so with some research & trials he built one...this is when I stepped in...made him a cabinet for it...he had played 2 guitars that I got him when he was a kid...gold top & a strat….The performance & showmanship of this band he is in is crazy. Lots of jumpin around & beer spitting…one day he came to me with a request to make him a les paul with no knobs, one pick up & just an on off switch...he said he only ever uses the bridge pick up & maxes the tone & volume anyway...he wanted this to minimize the accidental hitting of the pickup switch and getting cut by the pot shafts when a knob goes flying…. Soooo I found this site...& boy did I learn… I made the first one & it sounded amazing (think its because of the neck thru design)...but you’ve created a monster….i’ve since made 2 more (one for his back up & one for his band mate So now its time to post my next build ..its kind of a competition...my kid Michael is starting a new amp & says he will finish first.. Thanx so much for all of your posts!..so here we go..an all black walnut, neck thur, one pickup, no knob LP...Only the shape & scale the same! Gonna try to get this done quick but feel free to criticize or mock me on the way! Here’s the wood..
bld36.jpg
[/IMG][/IMG]
bld35.jpg
[/IMG]

GreaseBox

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums!

Sounds cool! People here are very supportive (the majority that is). I doubt you will be mocked or criticized here.

Can you show us pics of the others you built?

:dude:

Luke122

Reaction score
I'd definitely like to see pics of the others as well!

Welcome!

JohnnyKane

Reaction score
Hey, welcome to the forums!

Pics of your previous builds are definitely welcome.

billyk

Reaction score
ok here they are

Attachments

• 3lps.jpg
    3lps.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 1,109
  • 3plt.jpg
    3plt.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 159

billyk

Reaction score
ok here is my templet ready to route
bld3.jpg
[/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]
bld37.jpg
[/IMG]
bld4.jpg
[/IMG]

billyk

Reaction score
haha ..all my fixtures are metal because i work in a metal shop with lasers!

billyk

Reaction score
wire routing complete..that small black tube is for easier fishing of the ground wire from the bridge
bld8.jpg
[/IMG]

billyk

Reaction score
Ok now laying out the top….its made of two ½” pieces of walnut with the rough shape cut out….this is for the neck to be able to go the length of the body….the spacers are the width of the neck….after the tops are glued I route the outside edge to the bottom with a bottom bearing bit
bld5.jpg
[/IMG]
bld6.jpg
[/IMG]
bld9.jpg
[/IMG]
bld11.jpg
[/IMG]
bld10.jpg
[/IMG]

billyk

Reaction score
Now for my goofy 4.6deg neck angle jig…I route the angle from the heal end of the body to exactly the top of the 1 ½ “ bottom part of the body….that way when the 1 ½ “ thick neck is placed into the slot the bottom of the neck joint @ the bottom of the guitar will be right @ the route line where the binding gets routed to
i also drilled the bridge & tail holes with my top templete... also while still in the jig i put the top of the body 4.6 deg angle
bld12.jpg
[/IMG]
bld13.jpg
[/IMG]
bld20.jpg
[/IMG]
bld20.jpg
[/IMG]

Mike's_LP

Reaction score
I've never seen a build like that, but obviously, it works. Excellent work.

billyk

Reaction score
like i said @ the start..just the shape & scale the same..but they do sound amazing & heavy..sustain forever

billyk

Reaction score
Now on to the finger board…I first cut the slots (I know, nobody else does) then I do the dot inlays (make sure they’re deep enough)...then I radius the board...this jig makes an 8” radius @ the low end & goes to 12” @ the high end...then I hand sand to 600 grit… fret & bind
bld18.jpg
[/IMG]
bld32.jpg
[/IMG]
bld33.jpg
[/IMG]
bld34.jpg
[/IMG]

billyk

Reaction score
while i'm waiting to get some more done here are some pix of my last build and also some of my templates that allow me to build without a measuring devise
red1.jpg
[/IMG]
red2.jpg
[/IMG]
temp1.jpg
[/IMG]
temp2s.jpg
[/IMG]
frtjig.jpg
[/IMG]

GreaseBox

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I know this was already mentioned but I really have to tip my hat to your jigs and templates!
:wow:

billyk

Reaction score
thanx, with assess to flate bed lasers & tubing lasers @ work i can make very accurate templetes..the radius jig really makes the job quick..more to come

Mike's_LP

Reaction score
Man, you are no joke. I can only imagine what your shop looks like, because I can see what you do in there. More power to you.

billyk

Reaction score
now on to the neck..i forgot to take a lot pixs but here are the ones i did take...the head stock on all my builds so far have bin scarfed joints..i do this cause these guitars get played not hung on the wall..lots of spinning & flying around don't wanta be fixin broken head stocks after every show. also i read on here somewhere LP's sound better with the repaired head stock..(hope that wasn't a joke)

American Speedway on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

so 1st pic is gluing the 1/2 " head stock, then truss rod slot, then the head stock over lay
bld14.jpg
[/IMG]
bld15.jpg
[/IMG]
this jig centers the slot without measuring
bld16.jpg
[/IMG]
bld19.jpg
[/IMG]

GreaseBox

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Dude, are you building this thing in like a day or what? :laugh2:

You will probably win the contest at this rate.

Latest Threads