Only 6,200, with guaranteed flaking

BDW60

Reaction score
So the demo/mod shop has an aged R9 (Murphy name not mentioned) that they say has been flaking “stabilized” but that it will continue to flake with “excessive use.”

1 point for honesty (better than late than never), but -1 for audacity. You mean I can buy this for 6,200, then send to HM for a quality finish, then have a 10K guitar that’s worth 6,200? Makes sense.

At what price point would you actually just consider this guitar as is, knowing a couple years from now it’s gonna have bare patches? I’m not sure myself but 6,200 isn‘t even close.

BDW60

Reaction score
The demo stamp certainly is a stretch. A demo is a guitar that’s been played a lot in the shop, got a few bumps, and in reality is a slightly used guitar but was never defective. This a whole nuther kettle of fish.

I’m glad they didn’t cut it up and throw it in a dumpster, but the price is nuts to me.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
It shouldn't be on sale; it's manufacturer damaged stock!
That's what the Demo/Mod Shop is all about.
It's effectively a way to move factory 2nds and demo stock... most of which would likely have been sold to Stratosphere and then sold as husks 3 years ago.
It is interesting that since the Reverb shop opened, Stratosphere hasn't had much of anything from Gibson other than Slash and Trad-V satin husks. I picked up one of the last Flying Vs in 2019... missed the Explorer by a week.

Been eyeballing the R4, but I can get a new one for $600 more with full warranty, without the "Demo" brand on the back of the headstock.

v-man

Reaction score
We covered this days ago. For the issues presented on these examples, the premiums they STILL demand, and the wild hit taken on the value regardless of what corrections are made, this shop’s offers (as a RULE) are complete ripoffs.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Reaction score
As long as people keep buying, they will keep selling.

You or I may or may not feel that they are worth the asking price, but apparently enough do that they can continue to sell them.
The Fender forum is a constant barrage of "Oh this isn't worth it, buy a Squier or Yamaha instead".... and God forbid you mention Gibson on that forum.

But they will price what the market will bear, and apparently the market bears their prices just fine.

BDW60

Reaction score
As long as people keep buying, they will keep selling.

You or I may or may not feel that they are worth the asking price, but apparently enough do that they can continue to sell them.
The Fender forum is a constant barrage of "Oh this isn't worth it, buy a Squier or Yamaha instead".... and God forbid you mention Gibson on that forum.

But they will price what the market will bear, and apparently the market bears their prices just fine.
But what price point on this R9 might make you go ... hmmmmmm?

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Reaction score
But what price point on this R9 might make you go ... hmmmmmm?
Personally?
$1500... but that's ONLY because I'm not into the artificially aged thing.

I would love to have an original 50s model in any condition.... near mint or beat to shit player's grade.
But new? I don't look at a new Camaro and think "Wow, that would look so much better with different colored Fenders and the door molding hanging off"
I appreciate and respect the skill that the builders put into these.
But I don't care for the style.
That's why the R4 they are offering is moderately attractive... it is "lightly aged" and I can go with that, like Fender's version of "Closet Classic"
It's probably going to look like that in a few years anyways, so it's not the turn-off that a heavily aged model is.

OTOH, I would jump on something like this, if it were all original....

4718727.jpg

DanD

Reaction score
Gibson likely put a few coats of clear over the guitar to try to stabilize the faulty finish.

It will still flake, just not as fast. At 4k I could send it to RS for a refin and be at used R9 prices.

Andrew1225

Reaction score
Maybe at sub 4K with intentions of redoing the back
it’s a decent deal.

BDW60

Reaction score
Not sure why anyone would care about a clandestine ML, or the fact that it was aged and obviously came from there, if they are going to turn around and send it to HM.

Why not find something used in the 4K range you like, with CB's in it? Many newer R8's have nearly the same, some equal, necks as an R9, and most newer ones would also have the TH gear on it. Some '14's I've seen have near equal tops (though would be lacking the TH stuff).

If I am going to let HM give it the works, I certainly don't need any ML price tag or halo on it. No one is going to know afterwards anyway.
I‘m just wondering who would pay 6,200 for this guitar and what a potential plan for it might be. Not interested myself. At 4K, I might be tempted to just buy it and play the flakes off it.

I’ve had a good number of historics over the years.

Latest Threads