One ultimate or multiple killer guitars?

burstone

Reaction score
Maybe this topic had been tossed around here before...
Which would you choose if you HAD to make the choice?
One ultimate that you've been dreaming of all the years or several/multiple killer guitars that are all great but not THE ultimate one?

Think I'm leaning towards the ultimate but not quite sure... :hmm:

CDaughtry

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
My problem with an "ultimate" is that there's not any one guitar that does everything I want out of a guitar. I think you have to have at least 5 "ultimates"....a humbuckered Les Paul, a P-90 Les Paul, a Strat, a Tele, and a humbuckered ES 3x5 guitar.:D

Your mileage may vary of course.....:laugh2:

ajory72

Reaction score
Such a personal question, and I doubt anyone who loves playing guitar can stop at one, but certainly as men we get attached to things, give them ladies names (ahem) and continue the quest to the ultimate...personal....all round great guitar.

Been on that quest myself, and found I now have one guitar that has all the boxes ticked (feels good in my hand, sounds good to my ear, doesn't weigh too much playing live and is the easiest guitar I've ever played!).....

So for me the ultimate is that all rounder, and yes, if I HAD to make the choice I'd sell my others in an instant if I needed the cash and keep my Ultimate until the day I croak...

appetite4distortion

Reaction score
So, lemme think..mmh..what's the meaning of that word, "ultimate guitar"? Cannot find that on my dictionary..oh yes, found! "The last one before the next one". Bingo!

MiAa

Reaction score
I don`t think I just could`ve had one guitar! As mentioned above, I need different guitars for different jobs. But I`lll say this, a couple of years ago I had a lot of guitars. They were all quite good, but just a couple of them really killer guitars. So I decided to sell some of them and go down the vintage route - haven`t regretted that for one second! So today I own some really nice guitars, but it doesn`t stop here. Always searching for more - but for me the hunt is half the fun :)

rvschulz

Reaction score
if I had one guitar that would fit me perfectly and be extremely playable - that is good for me. I think I've found it.

from a tone perspective - disregarding strat 'quack' - between my amps I can pretty much get any other tone.

cheetah77

Reaction score
Multimate guitars for me, ultimate Les Paul, ultimate Tele/Esquire, ultimate Jazzmaster.

58burst

Reaction score
Guess it gets down to $- By all means go for an ultimate, then if you can afford another, or many... :)

Jimmi

Reaction score
My problem with an "ultimate" is that there's not any one guitar that does everything I want out of a guitar. I think you have to have at least 5 "ultimates"....a humbuckered Les Paul, a P-90 Les Paul, a Strat, a Tele, and a humbuckered ES 3x5 guitar.:D

Your mileage may vary of course.....:laugh2:
Exactly what I tell my wife when she asks why I "need" 20 guitars:slash:

LenPaul

Reaction score
One ultimate guitar is not the same as 6 or 7 great guitars in hand.

MaceRider

Reaction score
I'd rather have 3 great guitars than 1 "ultimate" guitar. I do not need an "ultimate" guitar. Hell, I probably don't even need a "great" guitar. "Good" is good enough for me.

Plus, when you have multiple guitars, you can keep them in different tunings and stuff. And if one breaks or needs maintenance, you have others to play as you fix it.

Ryan Givhan

Reaction score
i have my ultimate guitar (2009 R8) but i also have a handful of other really good guitars that i play from time to time. but every time i play them i tell myself that they arent as good as the R8

yeti

Reaction score
I have no desire to own the ultimate of anything, in fact I think it's delusional to think that one does own the ultimate of anything. I've played better specimen of every model I own, so what? Doesn't hurt my enjoyment of my guitars one bit.
But yes, I take one exceptional guitar over 5 ordinary ones, please.:)

rykus

Reaction score
as I build up my collection, some that where my ultimate at the time become less ideal through experiance and just playing hundreds more and often higher end guitars...

I have noticed older or more expensive does no always equal better, and some of my ultimate like my '69 custom and '68 33 have the narrow nut, so get edged out by my current models/re issues for playabillity.

good luck and enjoy the hunt.... but beware of bullshit or irrational lust:naughty:

mudfinger

Thanks for the memories.
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I always gravitate towards one guitar or another, and favor that one almost exclusively for long periods of time, sometimes years.

I currently have a Strat that does it all, everything I need and want, except for acoustic parts. I do have a guitar for that stuff, as well.

But the other electric I own has been in its case for years now; no use for it.

rabidhamster

Reaction score
If my "ultimate" guitar is the one that I play exclusively so long my millions of fans know it by my name, then I want that.

Otherwise I've already got a couple of my ultimate guitars and just need a few more.

Fwiw I HAVE sold my entire collection of guitars before for the "one ultimate" guitar. And it was the ultimate for a couple years, til I started buying guitars exclusively in it's caliber.

First world problems, man.

retrobob

Reaction score
I would take the ultimate guitar, just as long as I could buy
another not so ultimate guitar. Just in case I have to play at the rowdy bar down the street.

RAG7890

Reaction score
Maple & RW Board Tele
Maple & RW Board Strat
P90 loaded Les Paul Wraptail
Humbucker loaded ABR1 Les Pauls
ES335

That adds up to at least 7, not counting a Retrospec & several other Custom Guitars that are variations on theme.

My 2c FWIW.

:cheers:

ChrisFFTA

Reaction score
I am contemplating this myself. I have a 69 LPC that if i sold could fund a late 60s SG and a 60s ES330

Latest Threads