One piece neck with an angled headstock

ejendres

Reaction score
I'm thinking of attempting this with my next build. Anyone try it?

I'm talking Fender style one piece with no fretboard. I know I'll need a pretty thick blank but I think it would be really cool to try.

WhiteEpiLP

Reaction score
Fender started doing the one piece to save wood, it can be done with a 1" thick blank.
@LtDave32 is a fender neck master and has a thread on here about building one, I suggest you read it several times. If you are gonna do it fender style it will require a curved truss rod channel with a one way rod, but I'm sure a dual action rod can be mounted with out a curved channel.

Tweaker

Reaction score
Sounds like a rad idea! What wood are you thinking?

Obviously it would be way too expensive to do something like ebony or rosewood (for me at least) but something like wenge with a maple skunk stripe might be sick! Or even just classic maple would be cool too.

ejendres

Reaction score
I'm thinking of just doing roasted maple as a trial run. I also want to try milling a channel before I cut the neck profile and pouring epoxy as binding.

moreles

Reaction score
I did it once. Other than learning that I could, I ended up wondering why I did it, though for some reason I always like minimizing pieces and parts. But I had a great piece of maple, a terrific bandsaw... those were the days.

bfcg

Reaction score
Why not a 2 piece? Birds eye fingerboard on a flamed maple neck. Two way trust rod.
Leo would have done it this way if he wasn't looking for production shortcuts.

bfcg

Reaction score
And some no life ass has to answer fiori him...?
Stop trolling for opportunities to be a knucklehead

pshupe

Reaction score
I think that would be pretty tricky but would be cool. I wouldn't do binding though because it would be harder to see that it is indeed one piece. I would go quartersawn also. No opportunity to add carbon reinforcing with this method. The nice thing about the Fender style is that the back of the head stock is planar to the back of the heel, so you can lay it flat in a jig.

FWIW - bfcg - I'm with Chris here. Eli is asking specifically about a certain type of build. Combo Gibson angled head stock with the Fender style one piece neck and board. Suggesting he builds the exact opposite of what he is asking begs the question - Did you read the post?

Cheers Peter.

valvetoneman

Reaction score
You'll need to make specific jigs for a one piece neck, one for doing the curved channel upside down then you'll need to get angled drilling blocks for the heel and headstock right way up then you'll need a radius jig, my friend uses a 7.25 to 9.5 for fenders, works fantastic, then you'll need a slotting jig to slot a radiused neck or that's how i would do it, i got fed up slotting a flat board then redoing it when radiused so made my own slotting jig up after a radius was put on

Rapdog

Reaction score
I tried this a while back. Wasn’t worth the time I had to think, design, make jigs, and such. I am interested to see what you come up with though. Maybe I missed the ah-ha moment. Good luck. JR

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Silver Supporter
Reaction score
And some no life ass has to answer fiori him...?
Stop trolling for opportunities to be a knucklehead
Seriously? How thin is your skin dude?

You dont think your response here was a bit over the top? You dont know a damn thing about me or my life.

The OP specifically asked for advice on a one-piece neck. He didn't ask if he should build a one piece or not, so your reply was completely off point and far more troll-like. My response merely pointed that out in a humorous way.

If thats all it takes to set you off insulting people you dont know, maybe the internet isnt a good place for you.

ejendres

Reaction score
Why not a 2 piece? Birds eye fingerboard on a flamed maple neck. Two way trust rod.
Leo would have done it this way if he wasn't looking for production shortcuts.
Because I don't want to build a two piece.

pshupe

Reaction score
Are you going to go skunk stripe or try and match the neck wood to try and hide the route? I think it may look funny but it may kinda be cool because people "in the know" will say wow, that's interesting and not easy.

I think the most challenging part will be the routing of the curved channel in the back of the neck. You may want to do up a model which shows a square neck blank and how you would route the channel while keeping the fret board side flat and square, as well as the back flat and square. That way you can route for the rod first flip it over and do the fret slots with a table saw or even mitre box. Then radius the fret board and do inlay and frets. keeping the back of the neck flat and square will allow you to keep the fret board side square while you are working on it. Once that is done you can flip it over and carve the neck. It's less important at that point to have a flat surface on the other side. Good luck and make a thread, or just add it here.

Cheers Peter.

If you want to fake it. You can try a G&L style where you slice the neck down the middle vertically and then route the rod into each side and put it back together. My friend has a ASAT Special and I looked at it for a good 15 mins before I realized how they got the rod in there.

I also saw a thread about drilling straight down the truss rod access right through the length of the neck. I think it actually worked but have no idea how you would keep it straight.

dcomiskey

Reaction score
Forgive my ignorance, but why do you need a curved truss channel for one-pc necks? Why can't you simply use a normal one?

ejendres

Reaction score
I think the problem is you end up loading the skunk stripe with all the force from the truss rod if you use a traditional one.

I have a plan for dealing with that though.

I think ive figured out how I'm gonna do it. I'll post a thread when I'm underway.

pshupe

Reaction score
Forgive my ignorance, but why do you need a curved truss channel for one-pc necks? Why can't you simply use a normal one?
I guess you do not but would need to come up with a design that takes into consideration the type of truss rod you want to use. If you use a curved slot one like fender then you can drill the access like Fender. I guess you could use a flat route with a low profile double action truss rod but you would have to figure out how to drill for the access and might have to place the rod in from the end because the head of those rods are wider and deeper than the rest.

Have you done a model yet Eli???

Cheers Peter.

Shadow Explorer

Reaction score
Because I don't want to build a two piece.
Technically the skunk stripe makes it a 2piece...
It's not like it's presence doesn't serve a purpose, to disregard it
like the Gibson headstock holly veneer.

pshupe

Reaction score
Technically the skunk stripe makes it a 2piece...
It's not like it's presence doesn't serve a purpose, to disregard it
like the Gibson headstock holly veneer.
I do not think it does. I think everyone knows what is meant by one piece in this case. Gibson necks that do not have a scarf joint are also called one piece but they have a separate fret board, veneer, and the vintage ones have a maple filler strip, actually two. Would you call them a 5 piece neck? Laminate necks count the number of laminates, not the fret board or the veneer.

Regards Peter.