One Piece Back? (Wild Happy Ending)

3ChordMerchant

Reaction score
Could well be. You can tell better by looking at the end grain, where a seam is generally far more visible. I can see some stretches where from the back it looks like it could possibly be seamed, so check the end grain to be sure. Looks nice, that's for sure. Love the color. I like lightbacks, personally.
Agree. Look at the strap button grain and you will probably see the grain on either side of it in transverse to each other . Looks to be flitch-matched perhaps.

IronHeadSlim

Reaction score
2-piece, which is what it is supposed to be and is NOT a bad thing. My ‘21 Classic is ebony so can’t see it well but is a wonderful sounding acoustically resonant guitar that I love.

integra evan

Reaction score
They've been doing a good job at matching up 2 pieces and hiding the seam.

LesPaul60sTribute

Reaction score
Interesting & really serendipitous turn of events with this Les Paul Classic. The guitar arrived yesterday but had some cosmetic issues. The treble side of the binding was scraped with what looks like a dull file all the way down. The heel of the neck had unsettled nitro with air trapped under it all along the edge. There was a pretty good size scrape on the bottom also. The black strap along with the signed serial number white card was missing. I have a hunch this guitar was returned.

The surprise came when the salesman was able to send me links of some Classic Honeyburst guitars that were in cue waiting to go online. I picked out one from about 6 links. I like my Les Pauls heavy and found a really big gurl at 10lbs 14oz.

The back on this Classic is about as beautiful as I have ever seen on any Les Paul. What was a let down turned out to have quite a happy ending.

Here are a few pics of the blems on the guitar that arrived yesterday - and also two front & back images of the replacement that will be arriving very soon.

Thanks guys

069BEB12-608E-4D74-B258-46821B875150.jpeg E590BC51-B7B6-4860-981D-2CD267EC5ED3.jpeg 5D610D84-232D-4C17-862E-E8B12173C0CF.jpeg
44990066-2131-4306-AC45-0CCFBBF40825.jpeg

813D5C68-D41B-415E-8B18-35D94FAB3016.jpeg

Last edited:

jaqueh

Reaction score
Interesting & really serendipitous turn of events with this Les Paul Classic. The guitar arrived yesterday but had some cosmetic issues. The treble side of the binding was scraped with what looks like a dull file all the way down. The heel of the neck had unsettled nitro with air trapped under it all along the edge. There was a pretty good size scrape on the bottom also. The black strap along with the signed serial number white cars was missing. I have a hunch this guitar was returned.

The surprise came when the salesman was able to send me links of some Classic Honeyburst guitars that were in cue waiting to go online. I picked out one from about 6 links. I like my Les Pauls heavy and found a really big gurl at 10lbs 14oz.

The back on this Classic is about as beautiful as I have ever seen on any Les Paul. What was a let down turned out to have quite a happy ending.

Here are a few pics of the blems on the guitar that arrived yesterday - and also two front & back images of the replacement that will be arriving very soon.

Thanks guys

View attachment 610051 View attachment 610055 View attachment 610052 View attachment 610053

View attachment 610054
this is why I never buy new! none of those issues would have ever bothered me in the slightest

LesPaul60sTribute

Reaction score
Sooooo… was the original one a 1pc or 2pc back? Come on man, you can’t leave us hangin’ like that! LOL!

The new one you have coming looks great. And it definitely looks like a 1pc back.

Sorry guys - it was indeed a two piece - but wow a very well matched one

The replacement holds no doubts to that same question :)

Sinster

Reaction score
LesPaul60s Congrats and love the top!

I have a 50's tribute that is a 4 piece.
eNXSCp1.jpg

Tsukiyomi

Reaction score
Interesting & really serendipitous turn of events with this Les Paul Classic. The guitar arrived yesterday but had some cosmetic issues. The treble side of the binding was scraped with what looks like a dull file all the way down. The heel of the neck had unsettled nitro with air trapped under it all along the edge. There was a pretty good size scrape on the bottom also. The black strap along with the signed serial number white card was missing. I have a hunch this guitar was returned.

Thanks guys

View attachment 610051 View attachment 610055 View attachment 610052 View attachment 610053

View attachment 610054

How did the front end up looking in real life?

LesPaul60sTribute

Reaction score
How did the front end up looking in real life?

It was fair - I was hoping the grain would have really popped but it was slightly subdued - the honey color was a touch washed out also. I still very much like everything about the Classic and this color choice. I’m sure the second arriving replacement will be outstanding - the back is especially beautiful on the replacement

Vinsanitizer

Kitteh!!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Two pc. or one pc., I'd be way more hung up on crooked parts like tuners, pickups, inlays, a crappy nut job, shoddy fret and binding work, etc.

LesPaul60sTribute

Reaction score
Two pc. or one pc., I'd be way more hung up on crooked parts like tuners, pickups, inlays, a crappy nut job, shoddy fret and binding work, etc.
Yes you can bet I will be looking very closely. As indicated in my photos above there were some real shortcomings with the first Classic. It seems that over the last few years I either receive a dead mint Gibson Les Paul or one with multiple issues. I purchased two Honeyburst Classic models in 2020 but both had many concerns.

This second replacement coming next week will be my final attempt - if it has issues I will lay the ownership of the Classic in Honeyburst to rest.

dc007

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guitar is nice. Tell us more about the happy ending

AJK1

Reaction score
Yes you can bet I will be looking very closely. As indicated in my photos above there were some real shortcomings with the first Classic. It seems that over the last few years I either receive a dead mint Gibson Les Paul or one with multiple issues. I purchased two Honeyburst Classic models in 2020 but both had many concerns.

This second replacement coming next week will be my final attempt - if it has issues I will lay the ownership of the Classic in Honeyburst to rest.
And get a high end Tokai

01GT Eibach

Reaction score
I have two Les Pauls. I wasn't sure how many pieces they were until thread got me to check. One is two-piece and one is one-piece (both are killer, though - LOL).

efstop

Small amps ^^ are fun
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I once thoroughly inspected a 2017 Tribute GT with a one piece back. It looked nice but it wasn't worth trading for.
My own 2013 '50s Tribute has a two piece back but the second piece is a 3/4" strip under the control cavity, invisible from the back.

LesPaul60sTribute

Reaction score
Update - :)

The second guitar arrived looking really nice except for one blemish I could never live with. The back of the neck had a divot in it behind the 4th fret. It’s a shame because the rest of the guitar was so nice.

The retailer sent out a third guitar of the same model also with a one piece back. Weight 10lbs 8oz. It looked outstanding showing no blemishes or concerns.

The third guitar also has a sweetness to the tone that was just a step above the other two. The wood selected can sure make a difference, even from the same species of mahogany.

Here is a pic of the divot on the rear of neck (guitar #2) along with the 3rd and final Classic Honeyburst guitar.

Thanks guys

C00D9B79-7F37-468A-B923-25FB6022F313.jpeg 7D166A6A-A0D2-4A16-B871-036136DACA0C.jpeg F9E9E66D-0A25-4C15-AFF0-5D028B5B6E0F.jpeg

Latest Threads