One pickup les paul experiment

diogoguitar

Reaction score
TL;DR: I temporarily took out the neck pickup of my LP to see what happens.. the rumors are true that the guitar feels different. I added the pickup back later

I think I read somewhere (maybe here?) that one pickup guitars have so much better "feel"...
I remember watching Phil X (Bon Jovi) saying so many good things about one pickup guitars.
I never paid too much attention to it to be honest.

But then I got bored and saw some guys doing it again, so I was like "alright, I'll give it a try".
First I wanted to do on my LP Modern, but to my surprise, the pickups are hand-wired. I thought they were QuickConnect.

Alright, then I remembered I put some BKP's I made it easier to make further pickup changes. So, I decided to give it a try on it

Pictures below...

HOLD YOUR BREATH... DOESN'T LOOK THAT GOOD.

1625199206691.png

Well, here she is.
Aesthetically, looks like something is missing. But, the feel is soooooooo much nicer. I already loved this guitar with two pickups. With one pickup is a whole new experience in feel, sustain.
I was so skeptical before trying that I was shocked when I played. I usually play in 20 min cycles, rotating guitars.
This time, I just couldn't put it down for 1.5h or longer.
I know it doesn't look very "traditional"

anybody else likes one-pickup guitars?

edit: rolled back to 2-humbucker mode. It does feel a little different.

Last edited:

smk506

Reaction score
I like single pickup guitars as an option, but I use the heck out of a neck pickup too often to forego them altogether.

If you like this guitar setup this way, go for it! I agree that the aesthetic is off, but I would imagine you could mount a pickup with no magnets in it easily enough if you wanted.

Oranjeaap

Reaction score
There's a lot of "bro science" theories why 1 pickup is "better". (theories that sound plausible but have no actual scientific basis).

I think it's 90% in your head. Just having the one pickup to work with makes you focus less on your sound and more on your playing.

diskotekno

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's a lot of "bro science" theories why 1 pickup is "better". (theories that sound plausible but have no actual scientific basis).

I think it's 90% in your head. Just having the one pickup to work with makes you focus less on your sound and more on your playing.
I agree. Less pickups and knobs to mess about with leads to more time actually playing.

dro

Reaction score
Most I, I, I say Most of the Les Paul's I play. I tend to use both pickups more often then not. The switch to the bridge for lead work.

diogoguitar

Reaction score
thanks for the feedback, guys. I laughed at some of the comments. I mean, what should I expect with the sacrilege that I did? lol

for the record, I don't plan to keep the LP with one pickup. I like this guitar w/ 2 pickups
I plan to build a strat with one pickup, but before I do all the work of wiring etc, I wanted to know if I liked the feel.

This guitar belongs with 2 pickups, but was too easy for me not to try since I already prepared its wiring for quick pickup swaps/releases.

I have a suhr on order that I plan to build a second pickguard with only one pickup, that I can just drop in a full SSS set or just a one pickup pickguard

Last edited:

diogoguitar

Reaction score
A couple more things I learned with this exercise

1. Use the damn tone knob. Lots of good stuff can be done with it
  2. Neck tone knob affects the bridge pickup when in middle position (need to double check on that)
  3. Trust your ears and hands, not your eyes
for #3, I'd recommend owning a one pickup guitar at least once in your lifetime. Then you can check for yourself if the rumor is real.

edit: about #2, neck tone knob does affect the bridge pickup in the middle a bit. Helps get some tonal variations quickly when needed

Last edited:

Deftone

Reaction score

I've tried it myself, on my Charvel Model 3, back in the early 90's and I thought it sounded better then. The selector switch broke so I just yanked the middle and neck p'ups. (EVH influence, no question)

I have the pickups for this one but I've yet to put them in.....it sounds so good I might not.

20210105_153846a.jpg

diogoguitar

Reaction score
I've tried it myself, on my Charvel Model 3, back in the early 90's and I thought it sounded better then. The selector switch broke so I just yanked the middle and neck p'ups. (EVH influence, no question)

I have the pickups for this one but I've yet to put them in.....it sounds so good I might not.

View attachment 547359
oh man, that charvel got some workout didn't it? I love it

diogoguitar

Reaction score
I've played for 22 years, so another 15 won't help making me become famous :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Be careful ... In 15 years after you are famous, this could be your Gibson signature-model release:

Last edited:

cliffenstein

Reaction score
all my guitars a single pickup guitars...I only use the bridge pickup, so I get the toggles & neck pickup (or neck and middle for strats), and tone knobs disconnected. Bridge pickup to volume knob. Everything else is just there to complete the classic look. But functionality is purely bridge pickup only.

Latest Threads