One of these Slash guitars is not like the rest...

jbash

Reaction score
They all vary a bit but also check out the background coloration. Sweetwater will adjust lighting/flash to get the flame to pop better

Mine turned out a proper amber, and I'm perfectly fine with it, but I was hoping it was more of the bright yellowish color in person. I've always jonesed for that PRS yellow finish and cherry back ever since 1987 when I had the pleasure of playing about a dozen brand new PRS customs. I chose whale blue that day, but I still lust for that yellow ( or Santana yellow)

OldBenKenobi

Reaction score
View attachment 480221
I know Gibson did a VOS model of this guitar in 2008, but I feel like this should've been included in the Slash models Gibson is doing now.
I have no idea why it was a VOS back in 2008. It seems unreal to me that a bog standard USA guitar would be replicated by the Custom Shop.

The Les Paul Classic they sell right now is the exact same bones. The only difference is the electronics and the finish. Seems like a no brainer to me but I guess I'm not as smart as Gibson.

jbash

Reaction score
This is a pretty good vid to see some up close and personal of the Derrig

Qam

Reaction score
Oh dear:

Gibson's copying other copies of its previous administrators' designs.

We must now all chip in on a GoFundMe page so Chris Derrig can assert his handiwork under the Zach Vexx defense of international copywrite protection doctrines for one-off commissioned artworks.

Reactions: Who

PauloQS

Reaction score
There’s a lot of variation on the November Burts too. You can get some with lots of transition red and essentially black on the edges, very Bourbon burst, and others that are very light at the edges and the red is very subtle and have more of a caramel hue akin to the Canadian R8 exclusive maple burst.

BenjaminW

Reaction score
Ah yes, the highly sought after Fubar Burst.
I mean without the scratches and all that.

But for real though, you could honestly take like an R8 plain top, remove the pick guard, and replace the pickups with Alnico Pro IIs, then you have your own not-so-budget replica.

OldBenKenobi

Reaction score
I mean without the scratches and all that.

But for real though, you could honestly take like an R8 plain top, remove the pick guard, and replace the pickups with Alnico Pro IIs, then you have your own not-so-budget replica.
Take the pickguard of this guy and put in a set of APH1s and it's more or less identical.

BenjaminW

Reaction score
Take the pickguard of this guy and put in a set of APH1s and it's more or less identical.

Yeah, that too. I said R8 initially because I figured that if you were gonna go for something close to an 87 Standard, your best bet is something with a 50s neck since that’s what I believe 87s have and also AFAIK, 58s have more plain tops than 59s or 60s.

I’m not a Les Paul historian or anything so I could be wrong on how thick 87 Standard necks are and what burst models have and don’t have plain tops.

OldBenKenobi

Reaction score
Yeah, that too. I said R8 initially because I figured that if you were gonna go for something close to an 87 Standard, your best bet is something with a 50s neck since that’s what I believe 87s have and also AFAIK, 58s have more plain tops than 59s or 60s.

I’m not a Les Paul historian or anything so I could be wrong on how thick 87 Standard necks are and what burst models have and don’t have plain tops.
Slash's various signature models typically have either a 60s Slim Taper profile or a "Slash Profile," which is apparently a middle ground between 50s and 60s.

PauloQS

Reaction score
Slash's various signature models typically have either a 60s Slim Taper profile or a "Slash Profile," which is apparently a middle ground between 50s and 60s.
That‘s not the case for these new Slash Standards though. They just have the ‘50s neck. In the spec sheet it says vintage ‘50s in the neck profile category and if you check measurements at say Wildwoods, it will confirm that. At the first fret you can see them at as thin as 0.86“, 0.87“ and as thick as 0.89“, which is also what you’re getting on a a standard ‘50s. At the 12th fret, like the Standard ‘50s, they are around 0.99” to 1”.

SkaneatelesLake

Reaction score
This is a pretty cool thread. I learn so much on here. I am a huge fan of the new Slash model.

OldBenKenobi

Reaction score
That‘s not the case for these new Slash Standards though. They just have the ‘50s neck. In the spec sheet it says vintage ‘50s in the neck profile category and if you check measurements at say Wildwoods, it will confirm that. At the first fret you can see them at as thin as 0.86“, 0.87“ and as thick as 0.89“, which is also what you’re getting on a a standard ‘50s. At the 12th fret, like the Standard ‘50s, they are around 0.99” to 1”.
I find that kind of strange to be honest.

I believe Slash's 87 Standard was refretted with 6105 wire, which would be a nice feature as well.

PauloQS

Reaction score
I find that kind of strange to be honest.

I believe Slash's 87 Standard was refretted with 6105 wire, which would be a nice feature as well.
I mean he plays a 1959 Les Pauls and R9s with his custom finishes. Makes sense they use the profile in the Gibson USA that is closed to that of a current R9.

Latest Threads