Once again I seek your counsel

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
I've encountered guys like that, who have the 'nice guy' routine down pat. He's relying on your kindness to not rebuke his desire to sit-in, for fear of hurting his feelings. But if he's really such a nice guy, he should be able to handle a "No," without getting hurt. If he can't, well then you know it was just an act to get to play.

As for the performance, my biggest issue wasn't the harmonica; it was the rhythm. A lot of mistakes perceived by musicians are completely missed by an audience, especially at a bar. A melody note can be a little flat, you might forget a chord, misplace a lyric, etc. and most won't notice or care. (This is even more so with gear issues, but we won't get into that. ;) )

But once your rhythm is off, everyone notices.

You are looping a two bar pattern, and since the rhythm wasn't tight when you initially played it, the rhythm was off the entire song. This is what I believe makes you think it sounds terrible, not so much the harmonica. Getting rhythmically clean loops takes a little getting used to. But that becomes much easier if the part is played with rhythmic precision. It almost sounds like the first bar is 4/4 and the second bar is 7/8, which I don't think was your intention.

So in his defense, he's attempting to play lines against a riff that is very difficult to get in sync with.

Your voice is excellent and his playing would sound much improved with solid rhythm. So if you don't want to risk hurting his feelings, just clean that up and that song will sound much better.
Yeah, i screwed up the loop

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not much worse than a wheezer that walks all over everybody and everything....except a BAD wheezer that walks all over everybody and everything....

A singer with a tambourine is close....very close....no, closer than that....a lot closer......so close you can't see daylight between em....

freebyrd 69

Reaction score
The problem we use to have with harmonica players sitting in was they would think the whole song was a harmonica solo, and ruin every song. I would put their mic on solo. So low you couldnt hear it. No more harmonica players...:cheers2:

I did this once! LOL. It was one of the funniest goddamn things, I swear. We go up on stage, and all of a sudden, there is a harp player up there. Drummers buddy. He didn't ask any of us, just invited him up. "Huh...ok". I look at Chris (our drummer)...."oh yeah, this is Pete, from so and so band, a buddy of mine, he's just gonna play a song on harp". OK dude. Roadhouse Blues then. Lots of room for solo's, and I even let him take all but the last one. Give it up for Pete on harp...yay Pete". "Thanks Pete!".

Dance floor was crowded, so I immediately go into "Honkey Tonk Women".....and what do my ears suddenly hear.....F#CKING HARP. WTF!? Oh yeah, mother f'er is blowing away. Now, all of this time, he's using our bass players mic. After 1 harp solo in THAT song, I just hit my lead channel and buried the guy. HINT HINT DUDE. But wait, next song....Allright Now. Ain't no goddamn harp in that. So, I take advantage of my position on stage.....closest to the sound board. Slide the bass players mic OFF because, well, Pete doesn't know when to GO AWAY. All of a sudden, Pete looks bewildered. He can't hear himself. So, instead of taking not one but TWO hints, does he get off stage.....NOPE, the asshole goes over to our other guitar players mic because he figures it had to be an equipment failure on the other one. WTF!!!!???? So, as soon as he does this, I turn bass guy's mic back on so he can do backing vocals, and slide Chad's mic off. LOL.

NOW, FINALLY, he puts 3 and 3 together....looks back at bass guy, see's AND hear's his backup vocals, realizes the other mic is off, looks at me standing by the soundboard shaking my head, and.....Pete solves the puzzle! LOL. He actually acted pissed off, stormed off the stage, and left. Bye Pete. It was actually really funny.

Chango Malo

Mending my ways
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. who are you? You're the dude who worked up hours of material, got hired, loaded the gear, humped the gear, set up the gear, played the show, tore down the gear, humped the gear, and unloaded the gear. The dude who did all the work. The dude that won't get asked back if someone stinks up the joint. That's who you are. You get to say who gets heard at a gig with your name on it. No arguments, period.

2. You've set expectations, i.e. "I practice with Steve ergo I get on stage with Steve". You need to manage those expectations in terms of what does it mean if someone practices with Steve. What shows does harmonica dude play: every show, once a month, Friday nights that are an odd numbered day? How many tunes per show if dude does get to play:three tunes in a row once a show, one tune a set, when Steve 'feels it' and says hey come on up for a tune?

3. In my experience, attending practices and then playing a gig = $.

Chango Malo

Mending my ways
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did this once! LOL. It was one of the funniest goddamn things, I swear. We go up on stage, and all of a sudden, there is a harp player up there. Drummers buddy. He didn't ask any of us, just invited him up. "Huh...ok". I look at Chris (our drummer)...."oh yeah, this is Pete, from so and so band, a buddy of mine, he's just gonna play a song on harp". OK dude. Roadhouse Blues then. Lots of room for solo's, and I even let him take all but the last one. Give it up for Pete on harp...yay Pete". "Thanks Pete!".

Dance floor was crowded, so I immediately go into "Honkey Tonk Women".....and what do my ears suddenly hear.....F#CKING HARP. WTF!? Oh yeah, mother f'er is blowing away. Now, all of this time, he's using our bass players mic. After 1 harp solo in THAT song, I just hit my lead channel and buried the guy. HINT HINT DUDE. But wait, next song....Allright Now. Ain't no goddamn harp in that. So, I take advantage of my position on stage.....closest to the sound board. Slide the bass players mic OFF because, well, Pete doesn't know when to GO AWAY. All of a sudden, Pete looks bewildered. He can't hear himself. So, instead of taking not one but TWO hints, does he get off stage.....NOPE, the asshole goes over to our other guitar players mic because he figures it had to be an equipment failure on the other one. WTF!!!!???? So, as soon as he does this, I turn bass guy's mic back on so he can do backing vocals, and slide Chad's mic off. LOL.

NOW, FINALLY, he puts 3 and 3 together....looks back at bass guy, see's AND hear's his backup vocals, realizes the other mic is off, looks at me standing by the soundboard shaking my head, and.....Pete solves the puzzle! LOL. He actually acted pissed off, stormed off the stage, and left. Bye Pete. It was actually really funny.

'Pete' has ruined it for everyone else. Screw you, Pete.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Say-That-Again-I-Dare-You-Pete.jpg

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
1. who are you? You're the dude who worked up hours of material, got hired, loaded the gear, humped the gear, set up the gear, played the show, tore down the gear, humped the gear, and unloaded the gear. The dude who did all the work. The dude that won't get asked back if someone stinks up the joint. That's who you are. You get to say who gets heard at a gig with your name on it. No arguments, period.

2. You've set expectations, i.e. "I practice with Steve ergo I get on stage with Steve". You need to manage those expectations in terms of what does it mean if someone practices with Steve. What shows does harmonica dude play: every show, once a month, Friday nights that are an odd numbered day? How many tunes per show if dude does get to play:three tunes in a row once a show, one tune a set, when Steve 'feels it' and says hey come on up for a tune?

3. In my experience, attending practices and then playing a gig = $.
You guys do realize that my practise sessions are usually an acoustic guitar at 2 or 3 in the morning......;-)

Chango Malo

Mending my ways
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
any harmonica player getting on stage and grabbing a vocal mike instantly gets a headstock to the back of the head.

any sit in player that doesn't immediatly thank the band after the cut off instantly gets a headstock to the back of the head

any sit in player that speaks into a microphone other than to actually fucking sing instantly gets a headstock to the back of the head

any sit in player that asks for more of themselves in the monitors instantly gets a headstock to the back of the head

any sit in player that thinks they are staying for a second tune instantly gets a headstock to the back of the head

any sit in player that doesn't immidiatly vacate the stage after quickly thanking the band instantly gets a headstock to the back of the head

any sit in player that shows up to a second gig and asks when they can sit in instantly gets a headstock to the back of the head

any band member that invites someone to sit in without checking with the band first instantly gets a headstock to the back of the head

any band member that mentions sitting in to an outside player without checking with the band first instantly gets a headstock to the back of the head

freebyrd 69

Reaction score
any harmonica player getting on stage and grabbing a vocal mike instantly gets a headstock to the back of the head.

any sit in player that doesn't immediatly thank the band after the cut off instantly gets a headstock to the back of the head

any sit in player that speaks into a microphone other than to actually fucking sing instantly gets a headstock to the back of the head

any sit in player that asks for more of themselves in the monitors instantly gets a headstock to the back of the head

any sit in player that thinks they are staying for a second tune instantly gets a headstock to the back of the head

any sit in player that doesn't immidiatly vacate the stage after quickly thanking the band instantly gets a headstock to the back of the head

any sit in player that shows up to a second gig and asks when they can sit in instantly gets a headstock to the back of the head

any band member that invites someone to sit in without checking with the band first instantly gets a headstock to the back of the head

any band member that mentions sitting in to an outside player without checking with the band first instantly gets a headstock to the back of the head

Dude....I ain't EVER sittin' in with you guys, even on an invite....I'd be scared I'd forget one of the rules! lol

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Brians Evil Twin

Poophoria Sōtō Zen
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The harp player has a band already?

Why does he need to sit in with you?

I'd just tell him you got complaints last time and you're not gonna accommodate sit-ins anymore, it's just business.

Chango Malo

Mending my ways
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dude....I ain't EVER sittin' in with you guys, even on an invite....I'd be scared I'd forget one of the rules! lol

nah, it's easy: hang out, get to know the band, get invited on stage, play a tune, smile & say thanks, jump down, rinse and repeat. Don't play a harmonica. Of course, we play Scots/Irish stuff. How many jigs, reels, hornpipes, and slides do you know? :thumb: We do a buncha paddypunk for the punters, too. Gotta have good drinking songs in an Irish pub.

For musicians with manners, the rules are merely guidelines. 'Rules' are for knuckleheads. We all know cats with manners who get invited to play a tune set or two. We all also know all those jackwagons with no gig manners who can go pound sand.

bad565ss

Reaction score
Based on what you sent him me thinks you're in a band now lol.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm in the band...in the band....in the band....in the band.......

giphy.gif

elephantrider

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

you must go through a ton of les pauls :rofl: :rofl:

Chango Malo

Mending my ways
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
you must go through a ton of les pauls :rofl: :rofl:

well, 50% of the time on stage I'm playing mandolin, 25% I'm on bouzouki, and the rest is on guitar, it's not so bad.
And I'm really a Fender guy, Jazzmasters FTW. I do have a nice tasty lester on the rack with a big chubby neck and Fralin steel pole P90's. I mostly use it for recording doubled guitar tracks or when I'm subbing for someone else. There's strats all over the place, tele's jammed in the corners, and a few old 6120's and Gibby jazzboxes on a 7 space rack.

As for whacks to the back of the head, I let the bass player handle that. Nuttin like a P bass headstock to the back of the head to get your attention. Especially when the bass player is 6'5".

Latest Threads