On the topic of quality.

Mesamay2003

Reaction score
I live in AZ as well, and I have never heard experienced this. I feel sort of left out! I want to be a guitar “Zeus” and shoot static lighting bolts from my fingers while playing D chords at 120db!

Others above have recommended some solutions that should fix the issue, but out of curiosity, what happens if you flip your ground switch on your amp?
Plug your guitar into an amp with some gain, and with your fretting hand, run your hand up and down the back of the neck, without touching the strings or bridge with your picking hand...you might hear some static noise.

AJK1

Reaction score
I live in AZ as well, and I have never heard experienced this. I feel sort of left out! I want to be a guitar “Zeus” and shoot static lighting bolts from my fingers while playing D chords at 120db!

Others above have recommended some solutions that should fix the issue, but out of curiosity, what happens if you flip your ground switch on your amp?
It’s pretty cool that the guitar has a built in theremin

Ironwolf

Reaction score
Had the same issue with mine. I build guitars as a hobby so the electronics don't spook me. I checked everything and it was properly done. Investigation found the info about the static due to the finish. I started using drier sheets before playing and that helped a little. As time has gone by (I've had the guitar just over a year), the problem has slowly faded away.

AJK1

Reaction score
Start playing the original Star Trek tune?
Ha yeah
All jokes aside, that is the most bizarre thing I’ve ever seen a guitar do, and I would be pissed off that my dream guitar does that
I hope its rectified soon and you can enjoy it as you should

Six6String6

Reaction score
It’s a bit of a bummer but really not all that noticeable. Very seldom notice it during actual playing for the most part. I’m hoping it goes away completely one of these days. It’s still my dream guitar.

One thing to clear up. I guess I will retract the initial “quality” accusation, as it turns out that this is a fairly common and somewhat unavoidable known byproduct of the nitro coating.

The up side is now I can report on a new Gibson having zero quality issues.

Last edited:

AJK1

Reaction score
I’ve used Finger Ease for years just spraying it on the strings and back of the neck each time I play and it might take some of the static out
Just a thought ??

fretout

Reaction score
Plug your guitar into an amp with some gain, and with your fretting hand, run your hand up and down the back of the neck, without touching the strings or bridge with your picking hand...you might hear some static noise.

Some gain? I play a stereo rig of Mesa/Boogie Coliseums and Rectifiers, so I play with all the gain! :LOL:

But back to topic, I’ve never experienced this phenomenon. I’ll often receive radio chatter depending on where I am facing, but I don’t get any “neck fuzz”.

And I’m claiming this term and copyrighting it. Neck Fuzz :LOL:. It falls somewhere between “neckbeard” and “peach fuzz”.

fretout

Reaction score
It’s pretty cool that the guitar has a built in theremin

I didn’t even think of that! That’s a great observation!

If you’re able to control the effect somewhat, that could be useful. Kind of similar to how feedback was an unwanted by product of reverberations and pickups, but one fateful day a bend came along and used feedback to create songs!

Latest Threads