On the topic of quality.

Six6String6

Reaction score
As some might know I just bought Standard 50’s LP. (See other threads)
I do have a quality issue to post.

I have this rather obvious and irritating static sound when I run my hand up and down the neck. It’s pretty loud.

I have tried both my Katana and Tone Master Deluxe amps, with the pedal board and direct with no difference.
It does not happen with my Epiphone LP or my Fender Strat.

It will be going back to Long & McQuade tomorrow to be checked. It’s almost like a ground wire is broken somewhere. My sales guy says it might be the toggle switch. So I will update when I find out. I do hope it’s something that can be put right easily as I really love this guitar.

Six6String6

Reaction score
My feeling exactly, LocoTex. I popped the plates off the back to have a quick look but did not see anything obvious. I’m not digging deeper as long as it’s under warranty. Also my local store is very local so I can always play my Epi or Fender for a few days.

And I know it’s the Gibson as nothing else does it with either amp I have.

I just find it ironic as my previous post touched on the topic of Gibson quality issues. I should have kept my mouth shut

Six6String6

Reaction score
I took a video with audio to send to the store. I thought I could post it here but I don’t see how to do that.
This is off YouTube. Exact same thing.

gball

Reaction score
I've had a lot of new Gibsons do that same thing. It's always gone away after a while, some of mine took a few weeks and some took a couple of months but they all settled down in time.

They apply an electrostatic charge when applying the lacquer and there is a bit of residual charge left that will dissipate with use. Seems the dryer the weather is at the time its new the more pronounced the static.

Six6String6

Reaction score
So Google tells me it a rather common problem with Gibson. Funny, I expected it with my Strat with switches mounted right to the pick guard but not a Gibson. And not my Epiphone. Some people blame the nitro finish as the culprit.
How irritating. Now I’m sad.

Six6String6

Reaction score
I've had a lot of new Gibsons do that same thing. It's always gone away after a while, some of mine took a few weeks and some took a couple of months but they all settled down in time.

They apply an electrostatic charge when applying the lacquer and there is a bit of residual charge left that will dissipate with use. Seems the dryer the weather is at the time its new the more pronounced the static.
I would be very happy if that is the case

Mesamay2003

Reaction score
I have this issue on all of my nitro guitars, apparently nitro can hold a static charge... higher humidity helps (I live in AZ)... I only really notice it when practicing alone, not in a band setting. Don’t think it’s a wiring issue

speyfly

Reaction score
Sounds like it could be a cold solder, and possible static from the painting process, (electro coating). It sounds like an easy fix, and on point to point wiring, it can happen.

Six6String6

Reaction score
I never would have suspected the nitro but from comments here and a lot of Googling I’m starting to think this might be the issue. I was going to bring it in but perhaps I will wait it out to see if it goes away on its own. I just bought it so it’s got a year warrant.

Cjsinla

Reaction score
I never would have suspected the nitro but from comments here and a lot of Googling I’m starting to think this might be the issue. I was going to bring it in but perhaps I will wait it out to see if it goes away on its own. I just bought it so it’s got a year warrant.
Use a dryer fabric softener sheet, one for anti-static cling. Wipe the back of the neck with it. Also works on pickguards.

Six6String6

Reaction score
Nope. Didn’t work.
I tried that because it did work on the pick guard on my Squire Stratocaster. But that was the plastic pick guard with all the switches bolted to it. The body or neck never does it.
With the Gibson it’s the whole body as I now realize it’s the back surface as well. I wiped the whole LP with no results. That’s why I am leaning toward the actual nitro, or a result of how it is applied.
I am really hoping it clears up on its own. If not, I might return it. I have a month for a no questions asked return policy. Then I guess it’s another flawless Epiphone. (I can hear it already!!)

Six6String6

Reaction score
So I just got off the phone with Gibson. I was told “this is normal for some guitars”
He went on to confirm the theory of the nitro finish and how it is applied electrostaticlly. (Is that a word?)
He said sometimes it goes away on its own but sometimes it will need the old copper shielding trick on the plastic plates.????
Wow. They know about it and can’t just add that in at the factory. You would think you pay $3600 plus tax for a guitar and they would do that for you.
He told me to go back to Long & McQuade if it continues and they would do that for me.
I’m gonna go home after work and kiss my Epiphone!

mjross

Reaction score
I have so many assorted Gibson guitars that I’ve lost track of them. Guess I’m just lucky but in all my years of playing Gibson I have NEVER experienced this phenomenon! Hope you get it sorted out soon.

Last edited:

Mesamay2003

Reaction score
Like I said earlier, all of my nitro guitars do this, so it is very common, but I live in a very dry climate. If you can humidify the guitar it should help...if you get a replacement, it will probably do it too.

Six6String6

Reaction score
I had a Studio back in the early 2000’s, don’t recall the manufacture date, but I’m sure it was nitro. I don’t remember that one doing it.
No, this Standard is a keeper. Static aside, I really like this guitar. I’m bringing it in to the shop tech who I have faith in. If he has to copper line it he will. I’m sure somehow it will be put right.

Sinster

Reaction score
I have so many assorted Gibson guitars that I’ve lost track of them. Guess I’m just luck but in all my years of playing Gibson I have NEVER experienced this phenomenon! Hope you get it sorted out soon.
I own a few Les Pauls and haven't experience this.

mjross

Reaction score
I took a video with audio to send to the store. I thought I could post it here but I don’t see how to do that.
This is off YouTube. Exact same thing.

That’s pretty frickin bazaar!

Sinster

Reaction score
I’m gonna go home after work and kiss my Epiphone!

There would be a possibility that if your Epi was nitro you would get the same thing.

When you tried the dryer sheet did you try it with the guitar plugged in. Just wondering if it dissipate any of the static or remained the same.

I wonder if took a jumper and hooked it up to your tuner to the ground pole of your house :) if would do anything.

You might be the culprit :) Have someone else rub the guitar and see if does the same thing. Also try grounding yourself before grabbing your guitar.

Last edited:

Latest Threads