Olympics....watching?

PeteK

Reaction score
Got a couple of boxes of them from the late 80s and early 90s.
Probably have the original Pam Anderson issue.

People always talk about selling them... the problem is, unless they're in mint condition, they aren't worth more than a couple of bucks except for the few "hot" issues that might be worth $10-$50.

But even then... those who would collect them are a dying breed.
Mine will likely end up in the dumpster with the old Hotrod and CarCraft mags.
I remember when I was about 13 some kid down the street stole the Jenny McCarthy Playboy Playmate of the Year VHS tape from the local video store. He was charging kids $10 to borrow it. Every boy on the block borrowed that tape a time or two at least. I don't think the old VHS tapes would get much these days

Deftone

Reaction score
Got a couple of boxes of them from the late 80s and early 90s.
Probably have the original Pam Anderson issue.

People always talk about selling them... the problem is, unless they're in mint condition, they aren't worth more than a couple of bucks except for the few "hot" issues that might be worth $10-$50.

But even then... those who would collect them are a dying breed.
Mine will likely end up in the dumpster with the old Hotrod and CarCraft mags.
they are worth even less when all the pages are stuck together.

pnuggett

Reaction score
15 Fun Communist-Themed Olympic Events At Beijing This Year
Sports
February 4th, 2022 - BabylonBee.com

1644253696798.png

The Beijing 2022 Winter Olympics have begun! Elite athletes from all over the globe have descended upon China to find out who will have the honor of being blacklisted for suggesting China is a dictatorship that is actively committing genocide. We haven't seen an Olympiad this tense since Jesse Owens beat Adolf Hitler in a foot race back in 1936.

To make matters more complicated, several new events have been introduced to take advantage of the Chinese locale.

Here are just a few of the new games Beijing is adding to the mix this year:

1) Uyghur Luge: Competitors slide down the side of a mountain on a live Uyghur prisoner. Radical!

2) Uyghur Biathlon: Exactly like the standard Ski and Shoot Biathlon, but you shoot Uyghurs.

3) Competitive Virus Making: A competitor from Wuhan is the current favorite.

4) Men's Cross Country Lab Leak: A companion event to Competitive Virus Making. Athletes are judged on time and plausible deniability.

5) iPhone Factory Roof Diving: Featuring celebrity judge Tim Cook of Apple!

6) Social Credit Scoring: But if you lose you get shot.

7) Winnie the Pooh Lookalike Competition: This is just one part of a larger Pooh Triathalon. Features a honey eating contest and slalom race.

8) Mixed Doubles Soup Rationing: Male and female teammates see how long they can make one bowl of soup last between them. Points are deducted for dying.

9) Women's Vanishing Tennis: A variant on mixed couples. But you get shot.

10) Synchronized Censorship: Work in harmony to make popular Hollywood films even better!

11) Men's Snowboard: It's like waterboarding, but with snow.

12) Women's Downhill Sterilization: Not to be confused with Women's Sterilization Jump.

13) Bobsled Across Border To Freedom: It's like the standard bobsled event. But you get shot.

14) Kneeling Before President Xi (On Ice!): Half figure skating, half oppression, all fun!

15) Men's Short Track Celebration Of The Centenary Of The Great And Glorious Chinese Communist Party Looking Toward The Bright Prospects For The Rejuvenation Of The Chinese Nation: But you get shot.

Enjoy the games!

DavGrape

♔♗♙♘
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Women't biathlon on.
My fave.
They stand like friggin' matadors.
Goddesses.

pnuggett

Reaction score
Through the first four nights of competition, NBC is on track for the lowest-rated Winter Games in history. Friday night’s coverage on NBC, USA Network and Peacock averaged 12.8 million viewers, significantly down from the 27.8 million average in Pyeongchang four years ago.

Thursday night’s audience of 8 million marks the smallest primetime Olympics audience on record, surpassing the 9 million that tuned in for the closing ceremony of the Tokyo Games.

pmonk

Reaction score
Women’s Freestyle Big Air last night

So, lets ski down a ramp doing 30-40 mph backwards, jump off a ramp and do all these twist an turns and land...BACKWARDS????

Just...amazing skills

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score

jaycoyoyo

I would rather be playing guitar.
Reaction score
I watched the first period last night of USA vs Canada women's hockey. That's probably the only Olympics I will watch.

DavGrape

♔♗♙♘
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
BACKWARDS
I just saw a dude do that in the men' big air.
Backward all the way down, airborne with twists and spins; backwards landing?!

Freestyle skiers in the past would think it impossible.
I've never seen the backward landing, I don't think.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
I just realized that despite having several nice big TVs, I go weeks at a time without ever turning them on. There is cable (I think) at the router, but I haven't been bothered to connect it to the TVs. I tried using the app and it didn't work. I did get Peacock to watch Premier League but they have been off for the past few weeks.

I used to love the Olympics. I think that the IOC has pretty well destroyed the brand over the past several decades. Their lust for the NBA dream Team lead them down the wrong path. It used to be that the Olympics was a money losing endeavor, until Peter Ueberroth ran the LA Summer games in 1984 and taught those azzholes how to make a buck. Before that they were just stealing it.

I used to watch all the Olympics programming I could. Now? Meh. Either I aged-out or they blew me off.

Zero ****s given.

Last edited:

parts

Reaction score
Nope..haven't been interested in awhile..

irocdave12

Reaction score
Really sad to not see Shawn White pull off one last medal. But not to many guys could be 35 and give a bunch of 18 yr olds a run for their money like he did. I’ve watched him go from a rowdy young punk early on to becoming a true gentleman and role model for kids through the years and he truly was the best for over a decade. I’ll miss watching him ride

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really sad to not see Shawn White pull off one last medal. But not to many guys could be 35 and give a bunch of 18 yr olds a run for their money like he did. I’ve watched him go from a rowdy young punk early on to becoming a true gentleman and role model for kids through the years and he truly was the best for over a decade. I’ll miss watching him ride
He still has 2 more runs.

Latest Threads