Olympics....watching?

DavGrape

Lé chat est sur le sol.
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
... and here from the Backstage, a young up and coming flier...

Huge Ski Jump GIFs | Tenor

"...nice amplitude, Chris, you've got to give him that..."
" Yes, and the half twist at the end should really reflect in the scoring..."

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Winter games are so sadistic.

"Hey, we're all set to throw this guy off of a 100ft ramp with no more protection than a pair of skis... can we top that?"
"Ohh... ohhh... I know... Lets take the front end of a Formula-One car, load 4 guys into it, and send them down the mountain with no brakes or steering!"

PeteK

Reaction score
Winter games are so sadistic.

"Hey, we're all set to throw this guy off of a 100ft ramp with no more protection than a pair of skis... can we top that?"
"Ohh... ohhh... I know... Lets take the front end of a Formula-One car, load 4 guys into it, and send them down the mountain with no brakes or steering!"
Ooh I have an idea. Let's send dudes on mechanics creepers down the shoot face first

WaywerdSon

Reaction score
There are a few places in the signal chain that could be the culprit, but I have a really soft HD picture from NBC, both on Peacock and on YoutubeTV which takes my local affiliates feed and rebroadcasts it. It looks 720i at best and the color saturation is terrible. I'm inclined to think its NBCs feed from Beijeng. Anybody else noticing this?

socialhero

Reaction score
I have no interest in watching this time, for the same reasons as many others, but last night my wife was watching the women's figure skating (she wants to watch, and I'm not going to be an ass about not wanting to watch). The Russian girl was on another level. It was unreal how much better she was than the other best skaters in the world. It's like she's the Neil Peart of figure skating, and the others were the kid from the high school marching band who's a monster on the toms.

I read an article about this skater. Said she was doing quadruples in her routine. I seem to remember triples being the most difficult from any time I caught figure skating in the past (don’t watch Olympics much). That’s fricken 4 rotations from a launch from the ground. Most people have a hard enough time jumping to spin 180 degrees. :eek2:

It used to be that everything I needed from the Olympics, I got from Playboy.

Used to be? :laugh2:

... and here from the Backstage, a young up and coming flier...

Huge Ski Jump GIFs | Tenor

"...nice amplitude, Chris, you've got to give him that..."
" Yes, and the half twist at the end should really reflect in the scoring..."

“It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it pays off for 'em.”

PeteK

Reaction score
I read an article about this skater. Said she was doing quadruples in her routine. I seem to remember triples being the most difficult from any time I caught figure skating in the past (don’t watch Olympics much). That’s fricken 4 rotations from a launch from the ground. Most people have a hard enough time jumping to spin 180 degrees. :eek2:

It's like Tony Hawk doing the 900. No one could do it until he did it. Now everyone does it all day

socialhero

Reaction score
It's like Tony Hawk doing the 900. No one could do it until he did it. Now everyone does it all day

That was exactly what I thought of when I read the article I mentioned. I’ve been a skateboarder for 25 years or so and the 900 was something I saw live when it happened. It was mind blowing at the time.

It is absolutely amazing how athletes have continued to push the limits in so many sports.

WaywerdSon

Reaction score

The men have been doing quads for a while, you almost have to have one to be competitive these days. A few women have done them, just not yet in an Olympics

efstop

I render not the posterior of a rodent
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kurt Browning did the first verified quad loop in 1988.
Elvis Stojko landed the first quad/triple combo in 1994

Hey, those f'kn Canadians, eh?

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score

I haven’t held a paper playboy in my hands in god only knows how long.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Mikaela is out of the Giant Slalom. Crash. Boom.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do they still exist?
Got a couple of boxes of them from the late 80s and early 90s.
Probably have the original Pam Anderson issue.

People always talk about selling them... the problem is, unless they're in mint condition, they aren't worth more than a couple of bucks except for the few "hot" issues that might be worth $10-$50.

But even then... those who would collect them are a dying breed.
Mine will likely end up in the dumpster with the old Hotrod and CarCraft mags.

Latest Threads