Old Wood

filtersweep

Reaction score
No doubt old growth is a thing. What isn’t so clear is what this all actually has to do with tone.

pshupe

Reaction score
The picture above seems correct for the difference between commercially farmed wood and "old growth". I would say there is little difference between pieces of lumber that were cut 100 yrs ago and now, if it is not commercially farmed and the growing conditions where essentially the same. Trees that grow in a forest or in a more norther climate have shorter growing periods and may struggle for light creating a tighter grain. Rapidly Renewable wood sources for construction purposes - like Spruce - Pine - Fir are planted a certain distance apart in open fields and grow extremely fast. I think it is a <10 to 15 year growth cycle to qualify as RR, which is good to use for construction.

I bet you could fine wood that looked exactly like the 1918 picture if it were grown in a dense forest and had a shorter growing season. But you wouldn't find 2"x4"s in home depot with that tight grain.

Regards Peter.

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The picture above seems correct for the difference between commercially farmed wood and "old growth". I would say there is little difference between pieces of lumber that were cut 100 yrs ago and now, if it is not commercially farmed and the growing conditions where essentially the same. Trees that grow in a forest or in a more norther climate have shorter growing periods and may struggle for light creating a tighter grain. Rapidly Renewable wood sources for construction purposes - like Spruce - Pine - Fir are planted a certain distance apart in open fields and grow extremely fast. I think it is a <10 to 15 year growth cycle to qualify as RR, which is good to use for construction.

I bet you could fine wood that looked exactly like the 1918 picture if it were grown in a dense forest and had a shorter growing season. But you wouldn't find 2"x4"s in home depot with that tight grain.

Regards Peter.
I agree with that Peter. But aside from the slow growth=greater density issue....you can also take into consideration the aging/seasoning effect on the cellular structure of wood that has been sitting for a long time.

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
My workbench is made from old, reclaimed Douglas Fir. My dad was doing a reno project on an old church built in the late 1700s. He took out a pile of Douglas Fir. He said it was like working with hardwood and I agree. I've had the bench for 30 years now and it takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'!

P1070451.JPG

P1070452.JPG

ARandall

Reaction score
This is certainly not the forum to be making this sort of post in....it will get picked to pieces.

PierM

Premium Member
Reaction score
The science of the internet failed again.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
Thank you for not posting this on a Friday night.

I'd love me a 120 year old Mahogany slab with 2 P-90's!
:thumb:

the great waldo

Reaction score
I agree with that Peter. But aside from the slow growth=greater density issue....you can also take into consideration the aging/seasoning effect on the cellular structure of wood that has been sitting for a long time.
Hi
I don't always go by the tightness of growth ring spacing. I had an experience where I bought some alpine spruce from a cheese making bucket maker. The wood was really tight grained quater sawn and looked perfect. Unfortunately when I had cut it down to acoustic guitar top thickness it was like rubber when I checked it for stiffness. I've still got some of it which I bought about 20 years ago. I made a couple of guitars with some of it but they sounded s**t . The guy who made the buckets made them from only wood with a walnut strap around pegged with a wooden pin. He had lost the fingers on one hand from a crosscut saw accident but managed to split the wood he used perfectly to shape with a curved blade mounted on a wooden handle. The blade was so sharp you could shave with it. He told me some of the tools he used were over 150 years old. Unfortunately new European rules forbid wooden cheese making buckets using stainless steel and plastic instead . Progress I suppose !!!
Cheers
Andrew

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
not being educated in this field, or any other for that matter, one of the differences between slow growth and fast growth relating to tone could be, in fast growth lumber---regardless of species, the wood between growth rings is quite soft compared to the growth ring themselves. the higher ratio of soft wood to hard wood should have quite an affect on it's ability to transmit vibration. a piece of fast growth will not ring as much as a piece of slow growth, all things being as equal as can for comparison purposes. i'm going back to sleep now

B. Howard

Reaction score
You are also comparing spruce to fir in that pic as well, so........

jktxs

Reaction score
Stradivarius trees: Searching for perfect musical wood
Just any tree will not do when combing a forest in Switzerland for the perfect musical wood - its age, the weather and even the position of the moon help to craft the warmest, fullest notes.
Pellegrini is a tree picker. He will find you the spruce in 10,000 that is just right. He will find you the "Stradivarius tree".

"Lentement, lentement, lentement," he says. "Slowly, slowly, slowly".

That's how violin trees should grow.
Because, apparently, the gravitational pull of the moon does not only tug the waters of the sea and make the tides, it tugs up the sap.

Violinists can’t tell the difference between Stradivarius violins and new ones
:rofl: