Old Strings VS New strings

mdubya

Reaction score
Strings are only "old" when the wound strings start to develop wear against the frets. JMHO.

Otherwise, it is just a marketing ploy to guilt you into changing perfectly good strings.

Some strings last twice s long as others. They are worth the extra cost, also IMHO.

YMMV. :hippie:

Now, if you have guitars sitting around unplayed long enough to oxidize, that is a different story. Or if you are a sweaty bastid. :p

Ultimately, whatever works for each individual is best.

smk506

Reaction score
Strings are only "old" when the wound strings start to develop wear against the frets. JMHO.

Otherwise, it is just a marketing ploy to guilt you into changing perfectly good strings.

Some strings last twice s long as others. They are worth the extra cost, also IMHO.

Now, if you have guitars sitting around unplayed long enough to oxidize, that is a different story. Or if you are a sweaty bastid. :p

Yup, one of those things with many variables too;

You can get super long life out of flat wounds.

Not playing guitar while enjoying a tasty, but sticky, peanut butter and honey sandwich.

Not resting your guitar strings down on hard corners.

Stuff like that, it all makes a difference.

Jymbopalyse

Reaction score

Yup. The wound strings and oxidization are guitar strings kryptonite.

This is where the wear comes in. I know a few people whose sweat is so caustic, they have to change their strings after (x) hours of playing. And make effort to wipe down their fretboard..

For sure. How often do you change piano strings ??

pmonk

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since I never wipe my strings after playing, old means grunge and rust.

sonar1

Reaction score
Generally I’ll change the set when one breaks, unless I have a playing opportunity upcoming and want to be sure one doesn’t break then.
Acoustic sets get dull, but I only play electric guitar anymore. I need power steering.

keys88

Reaction score
I can definitely hear a difference when strings start to get old on an acoustic. But yeah, with electrics it's more of a feel thing.

Spooky88

Reaction score
Yeah, on a couple guitars I change the strings when they sound "lifeless" this can happen after a month of playing. However my "main" guitar ( a Warmoth partscaster) sounds best with strings "broken in". My last set lasted 5 1/2 years of hard playing. Keep in mind they never broke I just wore through the winding on the d string at the 3rd fret. The previous set of d'addario XL lasted 4 years and had never broken either. I expect the 10 pack I bought in 1992 will outlast my playing.

Six6String6

Reaction score
I do notice a brightness to a new set of acoustic strings but for what ever reason not on my electrics. Perhaps the nature of the amplification from the pickups hides it. And the brightness on the acoustic goes away quickly, or my brain forgets about it.
But I’m 100% sure that the notion of putting on new strings on a weekly/monthly/whatever schedule has been invented buy (see what I did there?) the greedy string manufacturers.

Bluesman1956

Reaction score
Can you hear a difference??

I notice a flater less vibrant sound and also tuning issues with worn strings. But it varies with use and keeping the strings clean with Fret Fast after use goes a long way to extending the life of strings. Keep them in their cases also help.

LeftyGtrPlr

Reaction score
Yeah, on a couple guitars I change the strings when they sound "lifeless" this can happen after a month of playing. However my "main" guitar ( a Warmoth partscaster) sounds best with strings "broken in". My last set lasted 5 1/2 years of hard playing. Keep in mind they never broke I just wore through the winding on the d string at the 3rd fret. The previous set of d'addario XL lasted 4 years and had never broken either. I expect the 10 pack I bought in 1992 will outlast my playing.
I have had a set of d'addario NYXL's on one of my guitars for over 2 years and I swear, they sound better with age. Not changing until I break a string.

dasherf17

Reaction score

I agree with the wear issue...I'm not a big fan of new string "brightness"...that's for practices...I like them "worn in" (sonically) a bit. Then, I can "think"...
Before I tore apart the "76 Firebird to refinish I hadn't changed the strings since the middle '80s...that was after a month of off and on use at gigs (not my main guitar). Not a pretty sight...

Last edited:

Wise Guy

Reaction score
I can hear an audible difference after a month of playing. The strings start out with a snappy pronounced attack and end up with a dull attack and no snap. That's about as good as I can explain it.

BRMarshall

Reaction score
For me, electric strings hold up well and I don’t notice a dramatic change in tone with new. Acoustic, as others have mentioned, are a different animal. A dozen or so years ago I was playing out weekly - acoustic guitar and singing - always changed strings in the morning or day before. Except that one time when I was busy/lazy - strings were only a week old. Middle of a song in second set - snap. Lesson learned. Always put on new strings before a performance.

Spooky88

Reaction score
I'll add that I prefer active pickups over passive pickups. The higher headroom you have with a set of EMG pickups more than makes up for the loss of string "snap" as the strings age. To me it's a bit like having some slight compression on the guitar.

Latest Threads