Old les paul

Dondee

Reaction score
I’m not sure what year my Les Paul is. I bought it in new condition in 1971 from a bass player that never played it. Back then nobody cared about what year a guitar was.
The guitar’s serial number is 109608. That to my limited knowledge indicates 1963 or 1967. It looks exactly like the new les Paul custom shop guitar that guitar center now sells. That guitar is a ‘60’s reissue, les Paul standard in ice tea sunburst. It has the thin neck and meets all the other specs that mine has.
I ruined the pots in 1974. One pot made noise so like the young dummy I was, I used wd40 to clean them. All the pots were ruined. I had them dreplaced by a tech and they were professionally done. The pot serial numbers indicate 1974.
I hope to find some input from someone that might help me value this guitar. I have had the guitar for 50 years and would like to find a good home for it for the next 50.

Attachments

Thundermtn

Reaction score
They didn't make LP's in '63-'67. Hmmmm

We need more and better pics. Try postimages.org for uploading quality normal sized photo's.

ARandall

Reaction score
I'd say its a 1970 or 71.
But we need more info like pictures of the headstock front and back, details of the neck shaft and how many pieces it is. It might sneak into a very late 60's (as in 1969)

Thundermtn

Reaction score
If the "i" in the Gibson logo on the headstock is dotted it's probably '72 or later.

Dondee

Reaction score

We need more and better pics. Try postimages.org for uploading quality normal sized photo's.
But we need more info like pictures of the headstock front and back, details of the neck shaft and how many pieces it is. It might sneak into a very late 60's (as in 1969)
Like I said, I bought it in ‘71. I don’t know the year it was made. I was friends with the bass player and we made a band. He played bass well but couldn’t make progress on guitar, so he sold it to me. It was my main guitar for many, many years.
I’m just looking for input to find good info about the guitar.
I will post more photos when I figure out how. When I try to post photos I get a yellow warning that says the file is too large. Bear with me, I’ll figure it out.

Attachments

Thundermtn

Reaction score
Go to the web address I gave you.

Hit the choose pictures button and then the gallery on your smartphone. Then scroll down and hit the little icon on the right side of the "hotlink for forums" and then hold down on the screen in the dialog box here, and when the bar pops up hit the paste button.

Dondee

Reaction score
Go to the web address I gave you.

Hit the choose pictures button and then the gallery on your smartphone. Then scroll down and hit the little icon on the right side of the "hotlink for forums" and then hold down on the screen in the dialog box here, and when the bar pops up hit the paste button.
Thanks for the help. I will get more photos tomorrow and post them.

simon connor

Reaction score
I usually email the pics to myself, then open the email on my phone, save the pics to the phone, then do the MLP post from the phone. That way MLP will accept the much smaller data size of phone pics vs computer ones. I hope that’s helpful.

Dondee

Reaction score

My memory might not be perfect but I had a 1963 one pickup melody maker in 1965. My next guitar was a new ‘66 sg standard. I traded the melody maker, sadly and got new “black beauty” les Paul in maybe 68 or 69 from Bobby’s music in Denver. I traded the melody maker and $100 for the three pickup black les paul. Those were the days! I hated that guitar because of the tiny frets. I played the SG standard until I got the Les Paul in 1971. I traded the ‘66 SG for an Ampeg VT-40 that almost electrocuted me.
That said, I played music with a guy in Ft. Morgan, Co that played a cherry sunburst les Paul (I think it was a custom because it had a bound neck). I remember him showing me his new guitar back then.
I usually email the pics to myself, then open the email on my phone, save the pics to the phone, then do the MLP post from the phone. That way MLP will accept the much smaller data size of phone pics vs computer ones. I hope that’s helpful.

Dondee

Reaction score
My memory might not be perfect but I had a 1963 one pickup melody maker in 1965. My next guitar was a new ‘66 sg standard. I traded the melody maker, sadly and got new “black beauty” les Paul in maybe 68 or 69 from Bobby’s music in Denver. I traded the melody maker and $100 for the three pickup black
Thanks, I think that is what I did to post the headstock photo

ARandall

Reaction score
The 'Made in USA' stamp on the back of that headstock places it at 1970 at the earliest.

Cjsinla

Reaction score
My memory might not be perfect but I had a 1963 one pickup melody maker in 1965. My next guitar was a new ‘66 sg standard. I traded the melody maker, sadly and got new “black beauty” les Paul in maybe 68 or 69 from Bobby’s music in Denver. I traded the melody maker and $100 for the three pickup black les paul. Those were the days! I hated that guitar because of the tiny frets. I played the SG standard until I got the Les Paul in 1971. I traded the ‘66 SG for an Ampeg VT-40 that almost electrocuted me.
That said, I played music with a guy in Ft. Morgan, Co that played a cherry sunburst les Paul (I think it was a custom because it had a bound neck). I remember him showing me his new guitar back then.
Most regular LP’s have a bound neck but the Customs have the block inlays and the Standard has trapezoid inlays.

Latest Threads