Old Glory, I had to send it back...

DrBGood

Reaction score
I guess you didn't bond with the guitar.

If that had been my guitar and it made me want to play like Jared James Nichols, I would have overlooked that detail, cleaned it, oiled it and play the heck out of it.

Too bad ... I guess you will not try for another one ?

Where did you buy it from ? I might look them over for it to come up as a deal on a blemished or something.

Last edited:

PierM

Premium Member
Reaction score
A drop of mineral oil, buff with a cloth until it stops staining, done.

Were you expecting a core Gabon ebony in a 2019 china Guitar? Wont happen, it’s gone.

flamesarewicked

Reaction score
I’ve done the same with brand new Gibson with rosewood fingerboards .. fresh out of the box even... the board typically comes filthy from the assembly line and after it gets buffed... that’s no different from any other guitar I’ve bought..

skydog

Reaction score
This, the one about the bushings not set right, and associated threads are the main reason I limit online selling anymore. Especially with Reverb's and Ebay's ‘buyer is always right’ policies.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
Back over a decade ago Epis came with “mystery goop” on the fretboards. It really needed to be cleaned off, and there are many old posts here about how to do it. I don’t know if this is still the case or not. But if it is, the black string of fingers and cloth could be a blend of that goop with the black stuff that comes off some new strings.

comcf

Reaction score
I just got a 12-string Riviera (actually two of those, to pick one I prefer). They both have the same thing. I think it's the dust from the fret crowning; they just didn't clean it right. I had the same issue when I had some work done on one of my guitars, a long time ago; they just forgot to clean it.

DADDEO

Reaction score
I've had the black fingertips after trying epi's out at shops, annoying, but wouldn't be a dealbreaker.

Rocco Crocco

Reaction score
Every new Epiphone I have ever bought did this. Why would you send it back after you cleaned it?

PierM

Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm starting to believe that this black dust it's coming from the frets polishing they do before leaving the factory. It's a typical chemical reaction that you have when polishing frets with a compound, you get black stain as a result.

You can try yourself. Just grab a small piece of cotton, and buff a fret with a car polish, then look at the cotton. It's gonna look very "filthy", but it's just an oxidation reaction.

Nothing to worry about really.

DrBGood

Reaction score
Title was of the past tense. It's gone back, so no sense trying to convince him to keep it I guess :facepalm:

MineGoes211

Reaction score
I guess you didn't bond with the guitar.

If that had been my guitar and it made me want to play like Jared James Nichols, I would have overlooked that detail, cleaned it, oiled it and play the heck out of it.

Too bad ... I guess you will not try for another one ?

Where did you buy it from ? I might look them over for it to come up as a deal on a blemished or something.
Zzounds.com. I cleaned the. Board with Gibson fretboard cleaner and conditioner, that’s why the rag is so dirty.

MineGoes211

Reaction score
Here I am cleaning a filthy Epiphone fingerboard... starts at 3:00.

Hey you have a parakeet! Actually, I’ve had that Gibson rag for a few years and cleaned many fretboards with it, never had this issue, but this guitar freaked me out. Your video was informative

Rocco Crocco

Reaction score
Hey you have a parakeet! Actually, I’ve had that Gibson rag for a few years and cleaned many fretboards with it, never had this issue, but this guitar freaked me out. Your video was informative
Thanks. :) If you're still in the market for an Epi, check out some of the new ones coming out. Hopefully they start doing a better job of cleaning the fingerboards. They are pretty nasty. I think it's a combination of stain or dye, polishing compound and fret dust.

MineGoes211

Reaction score
Thanks. :) If you're still in the market for an Epi, check out some of the new ones coming out. Hopefully they start doing a better job of cleaning the fingerboards. They are pretty nasty. I think it's a combination of stain or dye, polishing compound and fret dust.
I do have the new Tommy Thayer Electric Blue and I love it! I think the first runs they take better care of.