- Mar 16, 2010
- Reaction score
That being said - a Gibson G-55 is a solid state amp - so correct me if I am wrong amp techs - the OP shouldn't really have to worry about lethal doses of high voltage in a SS amp? I think adding the 3 prong chord in this case will simply make it run quieter. It's basically like a transistor radio.
Yeah. I’m kind of leaning of disposing of the amp. Sounds like a death trap I don’t want to get involved with, or pass onto some one to get hurt.
You mean if I play this amp without the third ground prong, I run the rush of electrocuting myself?
You're over-reacting with fear of it.
I started playing in '72, just as 3-prong polarized plugs were being introduced. Many places I played still had 2-prong outlets so I always carried a 3 to 2 prong adapter with me.
Not many people actually died (though some did). But just about everyone experienced shocks, ranging from mild tingles to "ow, that hurt like hell". We learned how the shocks happened, and did our best to avoid them.
The strings on your guitar are grounded, to reduce noise. But with 2 prong plugs, if you plug into the wall one way the strings are grounded, but plug in the other way the strings are hot. If the strings are hot, you don't feel it and it doesn't cause any problems -- unless you touch something that's grounded. Then electricity flows from the strings through your body to ground.
Barefoot on a concrete floor, lips touching a microphone, touching another player or their amp, touching a piece of recording equipment, anything conductive that's grounded = zap. Pain is a good teacher and we quickly learned not to do those things.
But it's easy to slip up. And most people have grown up in a 3-prong polarized world where shocks are super rare, so they've never learned that conductive things might try to kill them.
If you use that amp before getting the power cord replaced, let go of the strings (and other metal parts) before you touch anything that may be conductive.