Old Epiphone Zakk Wylde model vs new Epi LP models

El Chiguete

Reaction score
I'm on the hunt for a maple neck LP and since I'll probably won't have the money to buy an old late 70s Gibson then I will have to find something else.... and just randomly the other day a picture came up online of an Epiphone Zakk Wylde model that I've know about them since they came up BUT I never realized it had a maple neck!!!! So since none of the newer Epiphone LP models come with a maple neck I think I won't have another choice if I want that but besides that can you guys compare the build quality of the newer Epi LPs vs the old Epi Zakk model?

Popeye

Reaction score
You know, that is indeed s really good question because as an owner of a beater epi les Paul from 2008, I suspect the new ones are better, more care and thought in the parts they have makes a big difference I think

Jay4321

Reaction score
The Gibson Les Paul Tributes have maple necks, and they're not too much money at least as far as Gibsons go. Nothing fancy.

The Epiphones from the Inspired by Gibson line have been decent, but very hot and cold in the years before that. Never owned a Zakk specifically but I had a couple older LPs with maple necks, if the maple made any difference I couldn't tell, they sounded like Les Pauls with a Jazz and JB in them.

djw171

Reaction score
OP: Are you talking about a maple NECK or Fingerboard? I know the Epi ZW's had both at one time.

smk506

Reaction score
I used to grad the Epi ZW all the time at Sam ash when they were new. Those were some seriously cool guitars imo.

Playforfun

Reaction score
My bandmate has an epi zw and it’s probably his favorite. He has access to a bunch of guitars ranging from $50 to very expensive. He makes them all sound good but really loves that zw.

rich85

Reaction score
It has a Maple neck but rosewood board

A new Epiphone has Mahogany neck with Ebony board

I have found that a Les Paul with either of those is very different to the usual Mahogany/Rosewood combo.

As stated above, find a used Gibson Tribute with a maple neck. They started using maple on those in 2019 and would probably be around the same price used as the later Zakk Wylde Epiphones that finally came with active EMG set not the HZ.

rbraad68

Reaction score
Yeah I would look for a Tribute but remember your not going to get the binding on the neck or the body. I Bought a 2022 Tribute back in April for 1150 dollars which is about what you would pay for a ZW with todays used market. I have seen them range from 900 to about 1100 bucks. Not even sure if there is a 2022/2020 ZW or not?? My Tribute is nice and all that but when i pick up my JB Laz with the binding and all that for some reason I like the feel of the JB more than the Tribute... So I guess it's a matter if you like the feel of the binding or not???

El Chiguete

Reaction score
Yeah I would look for a Tribute but remember your not going to get the binding on the neck or the body. I Bought a 2022 Tribute back in April for 1150 dollars which is about what you would pay for a ZW with todays used market. I have seen them range from 900 to about 1100 bucks. Not even sure if there is a 2022/2020 ZW or not?? My Tribute is nice and all that but when i pick up my JB Laz with the binding and all that for some reason I like the feel of the JB more than the Tribute... So I guess it's a matter if you like the feel of the binding or not???
Yeha the only reason I haven't picked up a Tribute yet is that biding... if tomorow they put one out with biding I would get one ASAP!

Latest Threads