Old Dimarzio Wiring Help

questionman

Reaction score
I dug around a bit on this forum and general internet and came up blank....I think. I mightve missed my answer

Got a set of old Dimarzio pickups from a member here, wiring them into my 82 LP this weekend. Neck pickup was easy, simple braided wire with a single lead. The bridge is a little different, unlike anything I have seen from Dimarzio. Braided wire with 3 inside, red then white and black together.

Would red be the lead? I have no signal going to the pickup - and no multimeter in house currently. I initially wired it in that way, the neck pickup is solid but on the neck position I also pick up the bridge pickup a little, middle and bridge position are dead.

IMG-4158.JPG

BadPenguin

Reaction score
Yes, red is the hot, and the white and black should be wired together. It's possible the white/black somehow became disconnected. Check that.

questionman

Reaction score
Yes, red is the hot, and the white and black should be wired together. It's possible the white/black somehow became disconnected. Check that.

White and black are secure

Roxy13

Reaction score
Always verify with a multimeter but it sounds like red is hot. With the meter probes on red and the braid you should get the full pickup reading. So if it's 8 k ohm for example you will see that reading. Based on other 3 wire pickups I've had here I bet if you touched the white wire and the braid you would see half that reading.

questionman

Reaction score
Solved my own problem. The ground came loose between soldering and testing and didn’t realize

Latest Threads