Old Black

Ziggy Stardust

Reaction score
I got to see the old black live at the Roskilde Festival this summer.

The guy who owns the guitar is simply nothing else than the greatest man
in music history. He has it all.

BCRGreg: I hate you so much! :p

geochem1st

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Actually, at that time the switch was not even part of any circuit. I told Larry (Cragg, Neil's tech) that he should put a "blower" switch in there that bypasses everything and gives Neil a straight ahead lead setting that he could instantly drop away from without having to try to redial his tone. Larry did it, and now Neil has them in several of his guitars.

Neil is a cool guy.

That was your idea??? Awesome.
There is an issue of 'The ToneQuest Report', SEPTEMBER 2006/VOL.7 NO.11, where Larry Cragg is interviewed. He talks about putting the switch in Old Black, and Neil's rig in detail. According to him he did it 30 minutes before a recording session.
He doesn't give you a lick of credit in it. That really sucks. They walk off with your photo's and ideas.
I'm glad you are with us to set the record straight! You must have some great stories to tell. Time for a book my friend.....

BCRGreg

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I don't need credit. I know why it's there.

Reaction score
That's a hell of a good idea, I want to try it !

Is that switch hooked up to just the bridge pickup?

tonebone

Reaction score
Nope. It's binding.

I can't say any more.

I ask the question that cain't be answer'd. figgers. story of my life.

I should be prac-tisn' anyways...

edit: ok, ok, I got my answer, but not the whyfores and wherefores.

tonebone

Reaction score
Some more pics from that night.....

NeilsampsFrnt.jpg

Now there's a secret exposed...

Guess lot's of people (me included) have heard and read about this, first time for me seein's it.

Great shot. Thank you!

dtube

Reaction score
Nice to see the Whizzer is still there. Dang, I love Neil Young's tone from that set-up. I'd put Neil's "solo" in "Cowgirl in the Sand" up against any shredding wankery any day (not that there is anything wrong with shred wankery...)
-Darren

jwc574

Reaction score
Great pics. Whats with the other Fender amps? I always thought Neil just used the Deluxe and some old solid state rig combined. Maybe they're Poncho's rig

TnT~55

Reaction score
love the tone from that thing. Can't wait to see him live in October!

ES350

Reaction score
What's with the Mesa Boogie in the bottom right hand corner? Looks like part of the rig...LOL...

korby

Reaction score
Is it the aluminum pickguard that gives it the squeel or is it something else .

heavy blueser

Reaction score
Cool story BCRGreg an an awesome idea
but still i think it sucks that you don´t get credit for it

keep sharing your stories

LPSGME

Reaction score
Enough of these prissy vintage LP's!
I give you Neil Youngs 'Old Black'. [SNIP]

Old Black has also been customized with a small toggle switch in the front of the guitar, between original pickup volume and tone adjustment knobs. This switch is not a coil tap, as would commonly be assumed, but rather is a switch that allows Young to bypass the potentiometers and capacitors and send his sound directly to his amplifier (a late-1950s Fender Deluxe).

Back in the early 70's a friend of a friend (who was working for Sly Stone and also happened to be married to Dan Armstrong's cousin) was visiting and we both drilled into our guitars to install phase switches, as he claimed to have installed such a phase switch into Neil's Black Beauty during a prior job he had at some guitar shop.

Is it possible that this 'switch' entered Neil's guitar as a phase switch but was later put to some other use?

I know of no reason for him to have made up the story which, in any case, was believable enough to put a 1960 Les Paul SG; a 1961 Les Paul SG Custom; and a 1968 SG under the knife.

geochem1st-albums-pics-picture1511-oldblack1-53-les-paul-neil-young.jpg

geochem1st-albums-pics-picture1512-oldblack2-53-les-paul-neil-young.jpg

neil_young01.jpg

BCRGreg

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The switch supposedly was a phase switch, and Neil hated the tone. It was disconnected and idle for years.

ausmatt

Reaction score
Hey Greg, I just bought an old black replica, one of the Murphy aged ones, the switch seems to be hooked up as a coil split, was wondering if you have a wiring diagram so as I can hook it up as a bypass, I think that would be a much better use of the switch, thanks in advance.(can pm if you'd rather than putting up on forum.)
Matt.

TnT~55

Reaction score
Just saw Neil on Sunday, he used Old Black for almost the whole concert...it was great. Especially a Day in The Life, thought he was going to smash it...ended up breaking all the strings instead.

Latest Threads