Okay Les Paul aficionados I have a few questions.

Pleximan

Reaction score
I'm not really new to this forum I'm just rarely on here. I've talked somewhat about Gibson Les Paul Reissues on TGP.

I'm looking for a 2013-2014 Gibson Les Paul R8 or R9. I know the tones are very similar, and vary from git to git. I like the R9 a bit more having played both a 2014 R8 and R9. Sorry for rambling. Those are the only Reissue Pauls I've played. They seem to have some special esteem because they are sans truss condom? Which less face it, everything feels better without a sheath. :rofl:

Anyway, is there much of a difference between 2013 and 2014 R9's or R8's; that you can tell from personal experience? I could not find anything more then just misleading theory and speculation.

Also, I'm going to the Ohio guitar show in January. I have a 2013 Suhr Modern Pro Mahogany with a Floyd. It also has the Blower switch. Whale blue burst. I paid $3k new for it. I'm the original owner. It's a solid 9-9.7 in condition. I was wondering what the trade value could be towards an R9 rough ballpark. I was thinking $1,700-2,000 for the Suhr.

What would be the difference I'd have to pony up to get my R9? Reasonably.

I apologize for the long questions. I'm new to the Reissue Les Paul Scene.

Thank you folks! :jam:

Justin_Case

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Trade in is going to a lot lower then selling it your self. Any one at a show is going to be a dealer looking to re-sell it at a profit.

You'd do better putting it up for sale here, TGP, CL, or Rever.com as a private sale

Sharky

Reaction score
FWIW the only spec difference between 13 and 14 is the use of hot hide glue on the fretboard to neck joint as well in 2014. Don't no if that's much of a difference

Pleximan

Reaction score
Trade in is going to a lot lower then selling it your self. Any one at a show is going to be a dealer looking to re-sell it at a profit.

You'd do better putting it up for sale here, TGP, CL, or Rever.com as a private sale

I figured trade value would be less on my guitar. I know the show is open to the public too. So, maybe I could sell and buy there. I really hate having to ship guitars. It's a nerve racking process. I have friends that worked for UPS. They really don't care how things are handled.

Mike60

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
FWIW the only spec difference between 13 and 14 is the use of hot hide glue on the fretboard to neck joint as well in 2014...

Tuners were also changed in '14...

there is another item Gibson starting doing early in '14 that's not generally known...

strat1701

El Diablo Cazador De Hombres
Reaction score

there is another item Gibson starting doing early in '14 that's not generally known...

yup real deal PAF's from 1960 that were mothballed in a box in a forgotten closet after the move from Kalamazoo....:D

And to OP if you want an R8 or R9, the ads here will be your best bet. At a show you'll pay higher than used market, but possibly less than the chain stores. And yes you will lose your ass on that guitar trading it into a dealer.

Pleximan

Reaction score
Is the much debated Truss rod sheath really anything of importance? I mean it's just like the titebond vs Hide Glue discussion. Can you really hear or feel the difference when either is or is not in play?

I haven't played enough Les Pauls to form an expert opinion.

I just think it would be hard to measure the nuances, especially at band volume. Maybe you could unplugged. I don't know though.

Pleximan

Reaction score
yup real deal PAF's from 1960 that were mothballed in a box in a forgotten closet after the move from Kalamazoo....:D

And to OP if you want an R8 or R9, the ads here will be your best bet. At a show you'll pay higher than used market, but possibly less than the chain stores. And yes you will lose your ass on that guitar trading it into a dealer.

Well maybe I'll just go to the show and check out as many Lesters as I can. It's only $9 bucks to get in. I'll see what I like, and don't to narrow down my tone OCD...for now lol.

VictorB

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

Which item is that?

strat1701

El Diablo Cazador De Hombres
Reaction score
Well maybe I'll just go to the show and check out as many Lesters as I can. It's only $9 bucks to get in. I'll see what I like, and don't to narrow down my tone OCD...for now lol.

Absolutely no harm in going to the show and try out as much as you want! YOu'll find the biggest inconsistency is in the necks. Some R9's will be perfect some won't be. Some will have great tone but a shitty neck, others a prefect neck and shitty tone. When you find the perfect one with a balance of both, then you'll know. The day I bought my first historic, I played about 8 guitars, all CS models. That's what ya gotta do.

deadlyweasel

Reaction score
The big difference between 14 R9 and R8 is the neck shape and the tops. R9s are also supposed to have choice wood selected for weight and figure. Although there are some seriously nice flame top R8s out there.

Sct13

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have both, I also have an 11' R9 and there is no magic difference. People that wonder about the glue joint need not worry because your probably already biased.

Back to back the the 2011 and 2014's do sound different....better? Could the 11 be better without the condom and better glue? I tend to think sightly yes....but its already killer.

Good Luck, I have been to that show a few times. :)

Pleximan

Reaction score
I have both, I also have an 11' R9 and there is no magic difference. People that wonder about the glue joint need not worry because your probably already biased.

Back to back the the 2011 and 2014's do sound different....better? Could the 11 be better without the condom and better glue? I tend to think sightly yes....but its already killer.

Good Luck, I have been to that show a few times. :)

So, how was the show? Strangely I've never been to a guitar show? :wtf:

jamman

Reaction score
I'm not really new to this forum I'm just rarely on here. I've talked somewhat about Gibson Les Paul Reissues on TGP.

I'm looking for a 2013-2014 Gibson Les Paul R8 or R9. I know the tones are very similar, and vary from git to git. I like the R9 a bit more having played both a 2014 R8 and R9. Sorry for rambling. Those are the only Reissue Pauls I've played. They seem to have some special esteem because they are sans truss condom? Which less face it, everything feels better without a sheath. :rofl:

Anyway, is there much of a difference between 2013 and 2014 R9's or R8's; that you can tell from personal experience? I could not find anything more then just misleading theory and speculation.

Also, I'm going to the Ohio guitar show in January. I have a 2013 Suhr Modern Pro Mahogany with a Floyd. It also has the Blower switch. Whale blue burst. I paid $3k new for it. I'm the original owner. It's a solid 9-9.7 in condition. I was wondering what the trade value could be towards an R9 rough ballpark. I was thinking $1,700-2,000 for the Suhr.

What would be the difference I'd have to pony up to get my R9? Reasonably.

I apologize for the long questions. I'm new to the Reissue Les Paul Scene.

Thank you folks! :jam:

FWIW the only spec difference between 13 and 14 is the use of hot hide glue on the fretboard to neck joint as well in 2014. Don't no if that's much of a difference

The only real difference between the 2 are the neck shapes .

Which 1 you like more would only be known from PLAYing them . So even though I'm a propionate of buying and sell here , Until you know which type you like ,first , IMO trying them is the #1 important issue as I see it for you .
It is always best to have the guitar in hand .

Selling to dealer will get you less $$$, But you might be able to work something out with a seller who you wanted to buy from . Worth a try .

Some claim the fret boards are Hide glued on for 2014 . Only on some Custom Shop Special run guitars have I seen this listed as being done . Gibson has not stated this on their Website as a normal part of the run . So I doubt it's happening on all of them . IMO , small point .Think what you may .

As to the other "item" Please let everyone know what it is . I found an Ad today that would shock all here , from what is stated about the build , from 2012 too . :shock:

Sct13

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been to many...many many...

Careful its all about the money, and it can be high pressure. I am not trying to scare you, just be aware and be a smart shopper.

I rarely buy an expensive item at a show. :hmm:

Latest Threads