Ok so thats what they should sound like

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So as previously mentioned I have tried various after market pickups and cannot really say that any are better than the custombuckers fitted to the Reissues. All slight variances of a theme.
I just had 20 mins with a new R9 and holy shit, they are clear like a single coil, bright but not harsh trebly nasty, and harmonically rich bell like bass notes and again clear and bright but not thin rounded and warm at the same time.
So after 8 attempts I finally got one thats all that is promised.

So all the other pickups I am kinda like Hmm with now. Now it coukd purely be down to the wood in this guitar, its light at 8lb 4oz body doesn't resonate they way the murphy R8 does, but its more harmonically complex. Not going to change a thing though on this one no rolling of anything.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
3d flame that really moves as you look across it. Its tonal response is ridiculous, just staggering how much bass is there, incredible, of course its just revealed a whole new level of how far i have to go, its revealing all the noises from my right hand i thought I'd cured.
pictures:
18E4DA98-31EE-4D18-ABB5-CDF49CB89865.jpeg
95D16F4C-1745-43DF-AEF8-1D9D9AAD91B2.jpeg

Last edited:

THDNUT

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's the relative humidity in your house?

High means duller sound, low means brighter sound. Just like with acoustics.

Nice R9 by the way.

gtr-tek

Fumble Fingers
Reaction score
The Custombuckers in my R0 are like that too. Very revealing. A blessing and a curse! No need to change anything on mine either electronically. Enjoy it man!

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's the relative humidity in your house?

High means duller sound, low means brighter sound. Just like with acoustics.

Nice R9 by the way.
was not aware of that fact, I have no idea what it is these days, I did have a measurment device in that room years ago. I live in an area of the UK close to where a few weather fronts merge so temperature and humidity do change frequently, not massive swings but def variable.

I am curious is it the wood or the pickups as the bass response is noticeably enhanced.

Although right now i am just wishing i could do it justice.

enjoikevin

Reaction score
Beautiful! Did you pick this one up from Sweetwater? They had a lemon R9 with some nice green tones that I was seriously considering picking up.

Latest Threads