OK...How much should a Re Fret be? ??

Sct13

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK Call me stupid, out of touch, or stuck in 1975 ....

How much should a re- fret cost on a bound Gibson? Just curious if there is a consensus out there....

your idol

Reaction score
About $300 to lose the nibs. About 100-150 more to keep them but in my opinion its always looks kinda bad or feels off. Something arbitrary like fret nibs is kind of a silly thing to get hung up on.

NotScott

Reaction score
My guy in the Tampa area charged me $300 for a SS refret of a V with hidden ends and $350 for SS refret of a bound PRS.

rockstar232007

Reaction score
Never had to have a refret, but the last time I inquired, which was about 4 years ago, I was quoted around $140. The was from Mike Carey Music, right across Fort St, in Wyandotte.

Give him a call, might be different, now?

Sct13

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I forgot about Mike Carey....I didn’t know he does repair/luthier stuff ... what about that place on fort street?

Sct13

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanx guys for all the input... it helps

I got sight unseen quotes of $400 and more than $500 guesstimates...

one guy will go the extra mile or two and build up binding plastic to create the proper nibs ... and then age it to the guitars overall patina... which is how it should be ... and what I need.

rockstar232007

Reaction score
I forgot about Mike Carey....I didn’t know he does repair/luthier stuff ... what about that place on fort street?
If you're referring to A&R Music, don't bother. Have had nothing but bad experiences with them.

There's another guy in Livonia, John Dajos. Great guy, and does awesome work.

Sct13

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was John the guy at blues airmen guitars, had a real friendly dog?

Yea A&R ... they cater to kids and school bands..

Liam

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Ouch! Last one I had done was £200 (less than $300 US), and the last vestiges of nibs were perfectly preserved (on a 1957 LP Special). Could go as far as to say it is an undetectable refret, but I will of course declare it in the unlikely even the guitar gets sold while I am still breathing.

That being said, go with someone you trust, and make sure they are worthy of that trust. Nibs are over-rated compared to having a great guitar to play. I think (but will need to have a look and double check, it is not something I ever care about much) that my favourite '59 Replica was manufactured without nibs on the fret ends. The guy that made the replica chuckled when, with a previous refret of another Les Paul Standard, I said I'd be happy to lose the nibs to a bit more fret area for playing. In short, nibs look great, but in the greater scheme of things I feel they are overrated. My LP Juniors all sound and play great without them.

Liam

Sct13

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the insight, but there is more to this story.... the bottom binding has areas where the nibs were torn away, likely from the wood shrinking and the fret wire cracking the binding underneath. There are a few craters where the nibs once were. That said, in order to do a proper refret (nibs or no nibs) that plastic will need to be replaced to provide a solid base of material so the frets to actually rest on. So might as well go with the nibs....

The guitar is a 1993 Lucille, not quite vintage and not quite ....not ...its 27 years old and has all the mojo ....I mean all of it.

the ebony is actually worn as are the fret inlays....its still an amazing player, but needs some TLC

rockstar232007

Reaction score

Sct13

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its not mine....I was was asked to find out. And if I'm going to buy it, I need to know what a decent offer would be....

If it were mine....it would really be a no brainer....

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's another thread or two on a refret with nibs vs no nibs in the LC.

It is a different animal, a fret job with nibs. Prices can go all over the place because you have to replace the binding if you want a really clean job of it, IMO. Fret over binding is a cake walk in comparison.

As I've said many a time; I love the look of nibs. And love the feel of them. And I don't buy into the nonsense that fret-over-binding provides more "real estate" because nobody plays the last outside 60 thousands of an inch on their fret board without going over the side. Let's be real here.

But they are a bitch to do. No easy way around it. It took me years to get good at making nibs, and it's still a stone bitch.

Latest Threads