Oiling a Gibson Torrified Granadillo fretboard - before and after

MSB

Reaction score
I’m in the process of coming around to it. I sometimes require verbal diarrhea to overcome mental hurdles. :facepalm: I might be stubborn, but not absolute in my stubbornness. Lol
I got my first one with it early enough in the game, I didn't care or know the difference between woods and snobbery that sometimes comes with that knowledge. I've had 6 or 7 with it now and they've all been great, no complaints. When you look at some of the boards Gibson has put out the last decade or so, I really wonder why that would be a more desirable material.

Moni

Banned
Reaction score
ritchlite is one of the best things Gibson has done since i've been alive.
I agree with that 100%. It’s a shame so many people got upset about it and didn’t even own one LOL. “The Internet”

PierM

Premium Member
Reaction score
ritchlite is one of the best things Gibson has done since i've been alive.
I have something like 12 Les Paul Customs atm, the best feeling neck I have, those not too stiff, not too soft, are those two with richlite. They feels like a piano to me, snappy, clean, smooth. These are feeling like high precision tools for me, and Im sure richlite its in the equation, since I have the same feeling on a Godin, completely different build, apart richlite. I do agree with you 100%...

Niloy63

Reaction score
You mentioned a lot of “open to new ways of thinking” type descriptions, something the traditional Gibson owner absolutely could never do generally. I say that affectionately of course.

My Jackson guitars for example use graphite splines inserted into the necks next to the truss rod to reinforce them and keep them stable because they use thin necks. If Gibson ever did anything like that even though it works beautifully people would be offering their Les Pauls into a funeral pyre and posting videos online saying they’re “done with Gibson”.
Lol @ the funeral pyre. Gave me a good chuckle!

“Open to new ways of thinking type of descriptions.” I’m starting to sound pretty hippy there. Lol I see what you mean though. Some Gibson fans can be pretty militant, opinion-wise, regarding VOS. To
Each their own I suppose. I’m all about modern improvements/upgrades to design, like the Axcess heel, which is so overdue IMO. Why can’t all Standards and Studios come with it? And keep the Traditionals and Classics with their vintage specs.

I got my first one with it early enough in the game, I didn't care or know the difference between woods and snobbery that sometimes comes with that knowledge. I've had 6 or 7 with it now and they've all been great, no complaints. When you look at some of the boards Gibson has put out the last decade or so, I really wonder why that would be a more desirable material.
That’s good that you’re able to look past the surface. Guitars are so steeped in tradition that it’s tough, especially for Gibson and Fender, to branch out without the backlash. Isn’t the whole reason for all the variety is Gibson getting busted with that whole wood controversy in 2011? And out of that was born all these fretboard alternatives other than RW and Eb. Right? I hope I’m not talking out of my ass. I think [hope?] I’m right. Lol

It’s a shame so many people got upset about it and didn’t even own one LOL. “The Internet”
Haha Mic drop!

I suppose I’m one of them. In my defense, I wasn’t upset, I just didn’t want one. I hope there’s a difference. :fingersx:

RocketKing

Reaction score
Although I personally disagree, I totally respect your point of view. For me, I'm an ebony guy through and through, even more so than Rosewood. The way I see it (which admittedly is only my opinion, and therefore susceptible to flaw), if I'm going to spend thousands of dollars on a guitar, I'd rather the fretboard not be a "paper-based fiber composite." I just can't get my head around that, however irrational it might be. But I'm open to having my mind changed. The Martin DCPA4 Rosewood that I really want has a Richlite board, and I'm slowly working my way towards trying to accept it.
Yeah I understand you completely.
I remember when Gibson used richlite instead of Ebony on customs but keeping the same price while using an admittedly cheaper material. That sucked.
But I also think that richlite would be a great substitute for Pau ferro and granadillo.
Because it's not just about the feel it's also about the looks.
And having light brown to reddish orange fretboards instead of dark colored ones, like the ones we're used to, just looks bad IMO.
Some are passable but I've seen some definitely odd colored Pau ferro boards on Fenders that just looked terrible.

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
And having light brown to reddish orange fretboards instead of dark colored ones, like the ones we're used to, just looks bad IMO.
Some are passable but I've seen some definitely odd colored Pau ferro boards on Fenders that just looked terrible.
Check out some of the new Fenders.
They are going to Ebony... but not the solid black that we're used to. The stuff is heavily streaked with light wood.

RocketKing

Reaction score
Check out some of the new Fenders.
They are going to Ebony... but not the solid black that we're used to. The stuff is heavily streaked with light wood.
Well I actually have, but haven't noticed the models you mentioned :laugh2:
The reason why I've been so interested in fenders lately is because I ended up getting a Strat :eek2::D

PierM

Premium Member
Reaction score
Streaked ebony on a fender looks amazing. I love those Telly with exotic boards.

Niloy63

Reaction score
Yeah I understand you completely.
I remember when Gibson used richlite instead of Ebony on customs but keeping the same price while using an admittedly cheaper material. That sucked.
But I also think that richlite would be a great substitute for Pau ferro and granadillo.
I was there, too. While I didn't hate it, I wasn't drawn to it at all. But ever since I've been looking at the LP Classic Player Plus and a Martin DCPA4, I'm trying to get over it and see some upsides to the whole composite resin thing. Will I actively seek out Richlite? Probably not. lol But I don't want to turn away from it either.

I totally agree on the Pau Ferro that Fender has been using. Some of it looks like some of old neighboorhood backyard fencing where the wood almost turns grayish. Almost like the wood is caked with ash.