Oil I want to know is.....

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I want to see pics of guitars finished in oil. been viewing a recent popular thread, and have seen an oiled guitar every now and then, but would like to see some of what this forum has to offer using this finish, or perhaps even a french polish finish. I'm sorta a lacquer only guy and am only vaguely familiar with oil, but am interested in seeing some stuff........any takers?

Stephmon

Reaction score
The neck on my Frankenstrat is Tru-Oil, except for the headstock face, which is cleared with lacquer (oil would have smeared the waterslide).

pshupe

Premium Member
Reaction score
It was amazing how dark the black walnut went but the sycamore barely changed colour. The maple got a little warmer in colour and really brought out the figure but most finish would do that.

Cheers Peter.

Stephmon

Reaction score
It really brought out the chatoyance of the birds-eye, which was my great hope.

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
there appears to be a certain warmth with oil one may only approach with satin when using lacquer. i like the 'closeness' there is to the wood with oil.

larryguitar

Reaction score
there appears to be a certain warmth with oil one may only approach with satin when using lacquer. i like the 'closeness' there is to the wood with oil.
It's hard to explain, but if feels like you're touching the wood more than the finish, if you keep it thin and relatively satin.

Larry

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I used no grain filler on either. Sometimes wish I had on the Epi.

TruOil can be used as its own grain filler. Slop some on, work in with fine grain sandpaper...continue as needed until things are smooth. The sludge created hardens and fills the grain.
ive done the very thing with egg white, then topped with shellac, then lacquer, others skipped the shellac and went to lacquer. that egg white dries hard as concrete. thats a great looking piece of timber.

• Love
Reactions: Who

redking

Reaction score
Thanks! Underneath there is a mixture of cherry and amber aniline dye to get the faded cherry look, then I wiped on Tru Oil. If I were to do it all over again, I would seal the body and neck with shellac first because the dye soaked into the endgrain more than the top grain and does not look uniform.

Latest Threads