Ohm Load Question......is this cabinet combination safe???

studio1087

Reaction score
I have a 15 watt Marshall Haze head plugged into an 8 ohm Marshall MG 4 x 12.

It's my humble half stack.

Haze has outputs for.......

one 8 ohm cab or
one 16 ohm cab or
two 16 ohm cabs

There is another 8 ohm 4 x 12 MG cab on the local craigslist (cheap).

What will happen if I plug two 8 ohm MG cabs into the two Haze outputs (the outputs are 16 ohms each)??

Would I blow this thing up or not????? Thanks in advance.

HazrJr.jpg

John

BigAl

Reaction score
Don't do it. Running two 8 ohm cabs in parallel (which is what would happen in your suggested configuration) would amount to a load 4 ohms. Unless your amp has two 4 ohm output taps, it would be unsafe and unwise to attempt to run such a setup.

H.E.L.Shane

Reaction score
Listen to BigAl..

you can got HIGHER cabinet load.. not LOWER

ex) plug a 16 ohm cab into an 8 ohm output..

wrc73

Reaction score
A related question:

I will being wiring, for the first time, a 2 x 12 speaker cab sometime during the next week or two. The cab will have two 16 ohm speakers wired parallel. Once wired, do I use the 16 ohm output on the amp or the 8 or 4 ohm output?

BigAl

Reaction score
Listen to BigAl..

you can got HIGHER cabinet load.. not LOWER

ex) plug a 16 ohm cab into an 8 ohm output..

Lol, I didn't even read the 16 ohm part. My bad. Gimme a break though, it was 2:30 am :cool:.

eddy999

Reaction score
You could use a 'series box' to connect the two 8 ohm cabs together in series to give one 16 ohms total, then use the single 16 ohm output on the amp.

I built a little box to do this for two cabs of mine - you have one cable from the amp to the box, then two cables from the box to the separate amps. The box wires them in series, which adds together the impedances of the individual cabs.

eddy999

Reaction score
A related question:

I will being wiring, for the first time, a 2 x 12 speaker cab sometime during the next week or two. The cab will have two 16 ohm speakers wired parallel. Once wired, do I use the 16 ohm output on the amp or the 8 or 4 ohm output?

Two 16 ohms speakers in parallel will present an 8 ohm load to the amp.

rxbandit

Reaction score
You could use a 'series box' to connect the two 8 ohm cabs together in series to give one 16 ohms total, then use the single 16 ohm output on the amp.

I built a little box to do this for two cabs of mine - you have one cable from the amp to the box, then two cables from the box to the separate amps. The box wires them in series, which adds together the impedances of the individual cabs.

I'm going to build a series box, it's exactly what I need for my setup! Thanks a lot! Looks pretty simple, any key steps to the process?

eddy999

Reaction score
I'm going to build a series box, it's exactly what I need for my setup! Thanks a lot! Looks pretty simple, any key steps to the process?

No, pretty straight forward. Just make sure if you use a metal box (I used a little plastic project box) that your jacks are insulated from the box.

studio1087

Reaction score
Why can't I find the "Thank" button. I'm trying to Thank Big Al and I can't find the button.

Ahhhhhhh! I'm a goof.

BigAl

Reaction score
Why can't I find the "Thank" button. I'm trying to Thank Big Al and I can't find the button.

Ahhhhhhh! I'm a goof.

You can only thank the maker of the thread. Either way, I'm glad you found my advice useful :).

Latest Threads