Ohm help please!

JeffBard

Reaction score
This is going to sound more complicated than it is I'm sure but here goes. I have a 6505 plus combo and two extension cabinets with one speaker in each. All speakers are 16 ohms. If I am just using the amp speaker of course I have the switch on 16 ohms.... when I added the first extension cabinet with another 16 ohm speaker I switched it to 8 ohms. Now I have added a third extension cabinet with a 16 ohm speaker and chaining it from the other extension cabinet because the amp itself only has two outputs for speakers. Question is..... If I have three speakers at sixteen ohms do I switch to the four ohm setting? Or since I'm chaining another speaker from another speaker should I leave it at 8 ohms? Or do all three together make it four? It baffles me and I don't want to screw up my amp! Help me please thanks!

AngryHatter

Reaction score
If they are in series you get one number, parallel another.

eaglewolf

Reaction score
Personally, I would just use the two speakers that sound the best and run it at 8 ohms. If you use three speakers it comes up to about 5.33 ohms if they are wired in parallel (I would think that most likely the case, but it can be wired either series or parallel.) I suppose you could run that at 4 ohms just fine.

I'm wondering why you want to use that speaker setup. If it is for more volume, I would think a 4X12 would be a better option - though a couple of 1X12's might be easier to cart around and possibly be cheaper. Otherwise it would be a 4X12 or two 2X12's for me.

David

JeffBard

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the help I really appreciate it. A friend of mine called a friend of his at Sweetwater today and said the same about the 5.33 and that running at 4 ohms was ok. There are several reasons for the two 1/12 extension cabs. First I don't have much money to spend on things. I got a brand new vht open back with the celestion in it for 150 bucks... and I like the celestion. Then the store had a closed back vht with the stock speaker for a hundred bucks new. I'm cheap and always looking for deals. I put a swamp thang in the closed back extension cab and replaced the sheffield in the amp with the governor. I left the celestion in the open back. All three together sound very nice! I used to have a full stack and got tired of lugging that thing around. And It would definetely be nice to have a 4/12 but I can't afford a nice one right now....at least not what I would want. And I actually kinda like smaller. And the setup with the cabs on both sides is actually pleasing to the eye as well. I can put all three on my dolly and wheel them all in together. I'm actually wanting less volume and more spread with the band I am in and having the speakers closer to the floor and angled a bit is nice for the venues we play. I could be wrong about the volume idea with more speakers but just the one speaker in the combo wasn't doing much for me. But the mix of just the three like I said is really nice to the ears! Thanks!

JeffBard

Reaction score
047.jpg

Latest Threads