Ohhh sweet Lord who would do this??? (SiIverburst Abuse - be warned)

CB91710

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Geez! I didn’t realise there was so much hate towards the Silverburst finish.:eek2:
Silverburst is Gibson's version of Fender's Antigua.
VERY polarizing... those who like it, love it, those who don't, hate it.

Personally, I love Antigua, and hate Silverburst.

ARandall

Reaction score
Its sort of like a cross of hack job/relic plus the art deco......and putting it over any burst finish was just the wrong approach to start with. A solid colour would have been a better target as a starting point.

But art deco is more about crisp lines, block colour, and being heavily stylised. The rough edges and scraped finish just doesn't get any style, so fails at all of them all at once.

Pancreas

Reaction score
$4500????? I'd offer maybe $1k if the top carve is still ok and I could refinish it.... the horror!! View attachment 534194 View attachment 534195

It looks like the cast of Miami Vice puked on it.

dro

Reaction score
No worse than those who put stickers all over their guitars.

Pesh

Reaction score
Might be an unpopular opinion, but based on the fact I cannot stand goldburst or silverburst; this is a considerable improvement for me.

jodybriggs

Reaction score
That is horrific. Firstly this guy clearly doesn't know what Art Deco is. As some have pointed out it's more 80's neon than Art Deco ,but this is so upsetting. I can't even get behind the mind set of someone who would apparently go to great lengths to cut straight edge sections off their Silverburst and then take a highlighter to the exposed parts, but only some of them. I'm baffled.

ArchEtech

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I’m not a huge fan of the silver burst but.....that’s a monstrosity.

Jim Connelly

Reaction score
It's ugly but the world is full of ugly guitars that is for sure. Only Gibson makes the most beautiful works of art.

Latest Threads